• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The most emotional place?

When on my third Camino I climbed up the Alto de Perdon at dawn. I felt at peace with myself and life in a way I had never done before. And luckily I still am! Big :):):)s!
Other than that?
Every time I have to leave Santiago maybe?
When locals remember me from before? (Especially when they great me with such joy as Anne Marie in Ages who cries when she sees me entering the village)
Meeting lovely pilgrims I haven't seen for days/weeks?
and always, always, always kneeling to have a chat with St J and big G in the crypt and in so many wonderfully calm and quite little churches along the way!!!!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The statistics from the pilgrim's office in Santiago seem to show that only about 4%-5% of pilgrims didn't walk for religious/spiritual reasons (i don't remember the exact figures but you can find them easily online). I think they should break the groups apart: non-religious and non-spiritual, spiritual, and religious. Just because I'm curius. ;) BTW, it seems some people also say it was religious/spiritual because they don't want to get a "fake" compostela (you get a different paper if you didn't walk for religious or spiritual reasons). I have no problem with my "fake" compostela! It's just as pretty, and they've recently changed it to make it look nicer. It's also written in Latin now, like the "real" one.

(Post edit: Made myself look at this year's statistics. It seems like I was wrong and they do break the groups apart. Also the numbers are changing... http://peregrinossantiago.es/eng/pilgrims-office/statistics/ See under Peregrinos por Motivacion)

My own experience at least shows that most people will be at least somewhat spiritual. However "spiritual" is difficult to define sometimes, and "finding yourself" isn't always a mystical experience. I got the non-religious compostela because I didn't think I had a "spiritual" experience. But I'm a skeptic :)
From Sarria on you'll meet many more religious pilgrims, or at least, that's what I've seen.

I hope you have an amazing, emotional experience! Buen camino Mike.
Thanks Inbar, those statistics are fascinating and surprising. I hadn't taken a close look at the website. I feel that you and I are members of a rather exclusive club - only 8% to 10%! I expect to feel very welcome on The Camino. My 2 reasons for going have been because of the people I might meet, and of course the physical challenge. I've already met some great people on this forum. - Buen Camino

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Peregrinos!

I'm just curious.. :) Which place(s) was the most emotional for you during El Camino?

For me: Cruz de Ferro and Monte Do Gozo!
I was totally happy and full of euphoria there! I cried of joy! I feel like it was yesterday!
In 2013 during The Camino Frances it was the Cruz de Ferro,and the moment at the cathedral in Santiago were I mett again two fellow pilgims who I first mett exactly 2 weeks earlier in Redecille.We cried all thrree of us. In 2015 it was just before Cee,when I saw the first time the Atlantic Oceaan.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for sharing all your Camino experiences. Guess I'll continue walking to Finisterre in June - hadn't felt the need on my last Caminos -- now I do. And, thanks, Al for this -
When locals remember me from before? (Especially when they great me with such joy ... )
What special people - those who have remembered me the last two years - in Pamplona, Zariquiegui, Lorca, Logroño, Nájera, Belorado, Agés, Rabé, Frómista, Carrión, Sahagún, Acebo, and Morgade, and Santiago. Oh my goodness - here it comes again....
Blessings ~
Terry

Viana cathedral. Totally unexpected.
I was sitting at a cafe by myself enjoying a coffee and croissant watching my "friends" walk into town, in and out of the cathedral, in and out of the shops, generally just enjoying a beautiful morning.
I went inside the church as I do whenever they are open, and sat down just to be there and breath. An overwhelming emotion came over me ( I am a 99% non believer) but the comfort of the church and my physical and emotional state were too much for me to control. Wept like a baby. I'll never forget.

On Caminos:

1. Beach right before Muxia

2. Cruz de Ferro

3. Santiago when I got back there in late October from Turkey ... was almost in tears walking around

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Viana cathedral. Totally unexpected.
I was sitting at a cafe by myself enjoying a coffee and croissant watching my "friends" walk into town, in and out of the cathedral, in and out of the shops, generally just enjoying a beautiful morning.
I went inside the church as I do whenever they are open, and sat down just to be there and breath. An overwhelming emotion came over me ( I am a 99% non believer) but the comfort of the church and my physical and emotional state were too much for me to control. Wept like a baby. I'll never forget.
I had exactly the same experience last year. I stopped for a coffee opposite the Church then went in to sit and meditate. The interior is absolutely stunning and there was beautiful music playing softly. I spent around 20 minutes sitting quietly with tears in my eyes.

the Botafumeiro by far. hadent seen it the previous time I finished in Santiago... and the singing

Wrote a bit about my most emotional places a bit before in this wonderful thread. That was then, this is now: the most emotional place for me is..... Doing this again.... my heart yearns for more.

Best to you all.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Two of most memorable places were first on the plateau Vivarais-Lignon before Le-Puy-en-Velay where I had to stop and catch my breath a number of times as I was conscious of the history of many of the residents in this area who chose to hide and protect Jewish children during WW2. What was it that lead them to "do good?" Very emotional.
The second was as I was walking into a small village along the Norte and there was an elderly woman sitting on a bench in the warm sunshine. She motioned me over and made the sign of the cross towards me then said a short prayer then simply said "go".
I still smile just thinking of her.
buen camino

My first really emotional moment was at the pilgrim mass after the original mass in Carrión de los Condes.

Hi @BeatriceKarjalainen - I've seen several references to this pilgrim's mass at Carrion de los Condes. My wife and I are scheduled to leave for our first camino is less than 3 weeks, and so I'm looking around, making a list of things/places that we would like to see/experience.

Is this specific pilgrim's mass held at the "Iglesia de Santa María del Camino"? -- https://goo.gl/WsXelI

Edit: I ask because I see more than one church in Carrion de los Condes. Aside from Santa Maria del Camino, I also see Saint Andrew the Apostle.

Thanks in advance.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back