• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Most Inspiring Travel Quotes

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My favorite: "Life is a journey. When you travel, you live twice." (graffiti on the wall between two buildings on the Caminho Portugese, just before the final climb into Santiago)

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I Agee with wayfarer : “If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home.”
James Michener.
An here are 2 quotes i like:
Somewhere between the the start of the trail and the end is the mystery of why we walk.
-??
Me thinks the moment my feet began to move my thoughts began to flow.
-Henry David Thoreau

I know which of these I've printed out and posted above my computer.
Which one/s speak to you?

http://www.budgettravel.com/feature...piring-travel-quotes,52611/?wpisrc=newsletter

here is one i reflect upon not often enough

“The moon & sun are eternal travelers. Even the years wander on. A lifetime adrift in a boat, or in old age leading a tired horse into the years, every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home.
From the earliest times there have always been some who have perished along the road. Still I have always been drawn by windblown clouds into dreams of a lifetime of wandering.”

~ Matsuo Basho a 17th century Zen Abbot….

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
"Walking is a virtue, tourism is a deadly sin.
Bruce Chatwin

And if I could I would post the whole of the 1859 First Edition of Edward Fitzgerald's translation of the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam.
It is much deeper than most people give it credit for.

And to lighten that comment:

I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.
Noël Coward

But whenever I have kept flowing, I have found my natural state of being, beyond the chains of mental abstractions. At those times I have felt like water; no specific colour, no particular taste, no solid structure, but natural and fluid. Satish Kumar

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Just open an old journal I had while volunteering in Asia, and found these quotes:
" Walk as if you are kissing the earth with your feet." Thich Nhat Hanh.
"He who does not travel does not know the value of men." Moorish proverb.
"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." St Augustine.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have one framed along with a photo from 1989. You'll have to wait until I return to Florida in November to learn what it says but it is quite sage.

“A traveller! By my faith, you have great reason to be sad: I fear you have sold your own lands to see other men’s; then, to have seen much, and to have nothing, is to have rich eyes and poor hands.” Shakespeare, “As You Like It”, Act IV Scene I.

“Romance is always over the next hill; till it’s back at a waterhole 40 years behind.” Ernestine Hill, “The Northern Territory”.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
“A traveller! By my faith, you have great reason to be sad: I fear you have sold your own lands to see other men’s; then, to have seen much, and to have nothing, is to have rich eyes and poor hands.” Shakespeare, “As You Like It”, Act IV Scene I.
Whoa - that IS bulls-eye ! thank you so much for sharing this.
my life's tale in one sentence ... by shakespeare, no less :)

"If you come to a fork in the road...Take it"
Yogi Barra
"If you come to a fork in the road . . . eat salad." Juicy Lucy cafeteria.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
“Each of us has to discover his own path – of that I am sure. Some paths will be spectacular and others peaceful and quiet – who is to say which is the most important?” Sir Edmund Hillary, “Nothing Venture Nothing Win”.

"in order to go to what you do not know, you must go by a way you do not know," St. John of the Cross

In Spain , a pilgrim is never made to feel a stranger……no one questions his intention or his sacrifice. By his/her walking stick, scallop shell, and backpack he/she is known and respected, greeted and received as a blessing" David Loxterkamp Catholics to the Bone

The title of a very uninspiring book "I'm Off Then: Losing and Finding Myself on the Camino de Santiago" in the original "Ich bin dann mal veg" Hape Kerkeling. Keep on Truckin also works.
upload_2015-4-11_22-4-59.pngR. Crumb of course.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
"Walking is a virtue, tourism is a deadly sin.
Bruce Chatwin

And if I could I would post the whole of the 1859 First Edition of Edward Fitzgerald's translation of the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam.
It is much deeper than most people give it credit for.

And to lighten that comment:

I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.
Noël Coward
Wow, that's great, two authors I like very much. Thanks!

Here's one not so sophisticated:
"I train for the Camino only after before."

Keep walking, though there's no place to get to. Don't try to see through the distances, that's not for human beings. Move within, but don't move the way fear makes you move.

I found this quote during my Camino in Castrojeriz at the beautiful Hospit del Alma. A wonderful stop along the way. No matter where we travel its our inner journey that matters most. Finding this quote was one of my many Camino gifts. Words I try to live by everyday and will carry with me on my next Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
"Blessed is the God who is within the pilgrims on our journey." unknowm

All-powerful God,
Be with your servants on this pilgrimage
and guide their way in accord with your will.
unknown

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time. - T. S. Eliot

True journey is return - Ursula Le Guin

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.

Just one of many great thoughts you will find in books of Marcel Proust :).

This quote I jotted down in my common place book some years ago.
However I know that, strictly speaking, this is not a quote about travelling but I post it here in the hope that anybody feeling lonely en Camino soon enjoys solitude.

"Language has created the word loneliness to express the pain of being alone and the word solitude the glory of being alone."
Paul Tilich

Twenty years from now you will more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the one you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the wind in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
'The Essential Tao of Travel', from Paul Theroux's The Tao of Travel:

1. Leave home
2. Go alone
3. Travel light
4. Bring a map
5. Go by land
6. Walk across a national frontier
7. Keep a journal
8. Read a novel that has no relation to the place you’re in
9. If you must bring a cell phone, avoid using it
10. Make a friend

Easily applied to a Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back