• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The most significant moment of the day.

annakappa

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Part frances jun 07/rest frances may- jun 2008/Frances sept-oct 2009/ Sanabres Oct 2010/Frances sept-oct 2011/Aragones Sept-Oct 2012. Hospitalero Sept 2010, Amiga in Pilgrim's Office Oct 2013. Part Primitivo Oct 2013. Portugues from Porto June 2015.
So, you've got yourself out of your sleeping bag, dressed, gone through the "hygiene routine", packed your backpack, had a quick breakfast (if you're lucky enough to be staying in an Albergue that provides breakfast), you might have written a note in the Visitors Book, checked your proposed route for the day, shared an e-mail address with one of your fellow Pilgrims, had a quick look outside to see how the weather is. You deal with your feet - vaseline, compeed, duck tape, etc. etc., put on your socks and boots, said your thank you's to the hospitaleros and you take that first step our of the Sanctuary of what has been your Haven for the past 16 hours or so.
This is the moment when you step out once again into the unknown, even if you have walked this route before. Anything can happen along the Way. You might just not get as far as you intended to that day - or you may walk further. Maybe there's "no room at the inn". You might meet up with congenial fellow Pilgrims and decide to go to wherever they go. Anything can happen. Finally, you find an Albergue, check in, find your bed (what a blessing, especially if it happens to be one of the very last ones available). Then you go through your daily process of showering, washing your clothers, look for food, hang around on or off the premises of the Albergue, etc. etc.
Question: What is, for you, the most significant moment of the day? I know mine: It's that first step leaving the Albergue in the morning! Anne

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Every day on the camino I have the best beer I have ever had in my life! That has to be pretty significant,

For me it's usually a 'surprise' outdoors, often to do with the way the sunlight falls on something, whether it be a flower or a building archway. I love to see the way some things have a special beauty when highlighted by the sun.
Margaret

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For me it was sunrise. I got into the habit of starting about an hour before dawn and walking in the dark under the stars (a wonderful respite from the July heat). Then, while hiking, I got to watch a beautiful sunrise unfold all around me- it was very magical. I'm not typically a very early riser, but for some reason on the Camino I witnessed more daybreaks than at any other point in my life.

I notice from other comments that dawn is a popular 'most significant moment'.
I think that very few of us are lucky enough to feel excited about getting out of bed but the camino does that to you.
My routine was to get up half and hour before leaving the albergue at just about exactly sunrise.
There is something magical about setting off towards the horizon with your head clear of life's normal concerns and able to focus on what is around you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
for me its that point when you hit your stride,you've had that first coffee,the sun has risen,your body has warmed up and working,your feet and legs have stopped hurting,your talking to the birds ( and they are talking back :oops: ) that first butterfly zigzagging in front of you,that feeling of being part of your surroundings of belonging,knowing that first cold beer is just 5km down the road :D

Ian

I have to agree with Sagalouts...the moment in the day when you realize that you are one with your surrounding, that your body is walking "on its own". The first glass of wine is also good, as is a warm shower!

it comes at different times of day, but usually it is accompanied by birdsong. Sunshine or rain, dawn or dusk, summer or winter, birds of some kind or another are out there "doing their nut." And it makes everything around it turn all lovely for a little while, IMHO.

reb

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When the day, with all its efforts and adventures, has passed and I can blissfully exhausted lie down wherever I was taken, this is my mysterious moment.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back