• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The most you would walk on your first day?

clearskiescamino

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many to mention...
Hi all!
I am starting from Logrono in little under 7 weeks and I'm wondering what your opinions would be on how far to walk on your first day?
Would you consider yourself to he fresh and walk a long distance or would it depend on who you meet and how you feel?
Thanks!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Re: The most you would walk on your first day?

Actually (and for me personally), I've found that 15 km/day for most of the first week is quite enough challenge. That's worked well for me in the France and Germany areas where there is a lot of uphill and downhill. I'm not sure whether the stretch after Lograno is relatively level or not (but I'm sure someone else will chime in!).

Clearskies:

I usually recommend everyone start out slowly and allow your body to ease into the Camino. If you were starting from SJPdP, I would recommend Orisson or Valcarlos for a first day due to the steepness of the climb.

That said, if you have been training and are fit you could make Najera. Weather could also be a contributing factor.

I suggest you start walking and let your body tell you when to stop. There are Albergues in Ventosa and Navarrete.

Ultreya,
Joe

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Hi Clearskies. Yes, just head for Navarette and see how you feel after a rest and a bit of lunch. As you walk out of Logrono you walk through a park to a reservoir. It's one of the friendliest places on the Camino in my experience, with locals enthusiastically saying 'Buen Camino!' as you pass them. (Smile and say 'Gracias!') Beyond the reservoir you climb a small hill then walk by the road for a while before reaching Navarette. As you walk near the road there is a fence where people make crosses in the wire fence from twigs they have found nearby. If you're walking for a spiritual/religious reason it could be a great start! Buen Camino! :D

Clearskies,

The Municipal Albergue in Navarrette is a fine place to stop. Here is its page in Ivar's wonderful list of Albergues on the Camino Frances >> http://www.caminodesantiago.me/camino-f ... navarrete/ In an historic structure it is small, well run and very clean.There is a nice kitchen for pilgrims and good showers which spray you and not your clothes. Closed during winter it opens from 1:30 pm from March through October. If you arrive earlier there is a pleasant bar next door for waiting.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Hi there! Depending on the shape you're in, I'd probably stop at Ventosa my first day. There is a geat "red albergue" there called San Saturnino. That is 20 gently uphill kilometers and probably enough for the first day. It's not that the walking is that difficult on this stretch. For me, I don't like all the highway walking. San Saturnino is one of my favorite albergues. Once you're there, you can decide if you're up to the last few kilometers to Najera.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi guys! Thanks for your replies :) I've heard a lot of good things about Ventosa so ill drop by there for a while. 30k on my first day might be a lil too much for me but if I meet up with some folks to walk with, I'll see what happens :)

I recall the leg Logrono to Najera being a long slog, and pretty difficult near the end - almost worse than doing SJPP to Roncevalles in one day.

Ventosa is about 20km from Logrono. It would be a good first day's walk if you wanted to start with some shorter distances. That could then be followed by Azofra, Granon, Espinosa or Villafranca, Ages or Atapuerca, then Burgos. That would be six walking days to reach Burgos at around 21km per day. Other than a long stretch from Villafranca to St Jean de Ortega, there are accommodation options every few kilometres. This gives plenty of options. If you start each day planning around 20km walking, you can choose to do a bit more should you wish without too much trouble.

I'd love to stay in the smaller towns so Ventosa is an option but you just never know! I would like to get to Burgos in 5 days as I'm meeting friends there. :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Clearskies:

If you stop in Ventosa your first night, Burgos is still easily reachable in five days.

I do not think this leg is anything like SJPdP to Roncesvalles, imo. It is a gradual climb of 300m to Alto de San Anton. SJPdP to Callado Lepoeder is approximately a 1300m climb.

Ultreya,
Joe

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back