• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The mugging of the mad Peregrina

Pieces

Veteran Member
I wasn't really sure if I wanted to share this story as I don't really think it is a camino incident more of a "big city" incident, but as it has allready been written I may as well. Hopefully the turn of events will prevent the culprit from like actions in the future...

So, it is very very early morning and the sun isn't even really up. I am making my way out of Burgos wondering how to feed myself on the way, everything still being closed. Just before leaving the inner city I come across a Panaderia and happily I enter to find the biggest Croissants I have ever seen. With so much water in my mouth I am barely able to speak I manage to order one and a brick of choclate milk, and I happely set off in search of the perfect spot to enjoy my delicious breakfast.

As I come back on the camino I notice that both the people in front og me and behind me are now quite a bit ahead of me, but I think nothing of it.

Just after the Panaderia there is a stretch of park along a river and a bridge crossing the river leading out of town. Barely have i stepped onto the bridge before I feel someone come up behind me and in an instant the bag that I have taken to carry my daily necessities in, like food, water and guidebooks are snatched out of my hand from behind.

I turn around and see a tall, skinny, dark guy in midair behind me as he is taking flight back towards town. Without thinking for even a split second, I set off after him backpack and all screaming and yelling in english: Stop the thief he has got my things and such stuff one yells when ones bag has been stolen.

He takes off to the right along the river, and even if I can't see other pilgrims I can see Spanish people taking absolutely no notice of the screaming and yelling Peregrina wearing a big backpack running after a skinny guy, so I decide to try another approach.

Thus I start screaming at the culprit: "Stop you idiot it is only my food" among the "stop the thiefs" and I am slowly gaining on him, even if he is running without a back pack. The whimp *snickers*. I assume he doesn't realise I am by now quite blue in the head from the running and the screaming and thinking I will drop dead of a heart attack right there on the outskirts of Burgos. So, after a bit he stops looks in the bag, realises that it containes a lot of food, grabs the folder with my guidebooks, drops the bags and the food and sets off again.

I get hold of the bag inflight and continue running now with a bag of food and a backpack and still screaming, only this time I scream: "give it back you idiot it is only my guidebooks". Learning from experience I assume, he stops again, looks through the folder sees it is "only guidebooks" AND my passport, drops the whole bunch and takes off again. Grateful I pick up my stuff AND my passport ad set of back on the camino. The only thing missing is my Croissant which fell out of the bag in the chase, and even if I DID look forward to that breakfast, I honestly couldn't be bothered to go back for a new one.

Only days later do I realise that not only do I have one i have TWO of those emergency whistles in my gear. I guess I will just have to deal with the fact that my brain doesn't function fully when being mugget just after 6 in the morning, even if I am gratefull that if I have to be mugged, to have been mugged by what is probably the only english speaking mugger i Spain.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Sorry to hear of this awful experience.

Thank you for sharing because I suspect many of us do drop our guard on the Camino. After all we are pilgrims and expect to be treated as such. When unpleasant things happen it comes as a double shock. We do need to be reminded that there are those - thankfully very few - who see us as an easy target because of the weight on our backs.

I am glad you came to no personal danger.

May a friend buy you a crossaint sometime soon.

i was mugged too
only, the person didnt take anything
he gave me something
?
a frikken apple weighing (i kid you not) about one kilo
it was true camino generosity
and the camino provided
and i dared not turn these provisions down
so i burdened up
and carried his heavy-weight world champion apple as we walked on silently together
greater love hath no man
Theo - you mad Dutchman - what were you thinking ?
when you nick fruit next time - please go for smaller stuff

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for sharing this story. I have done the Camino once and plan to do it again. I have been to Burgos three times. I have friends that I consider family that live there. I will watch my back.

Anniesantiago said:
Please put your passport in your MONEY BELT AROUND YOUR WAIST or I won't be able to sleep!

IMNSHO The only "passport" that can be kept outside a money belt is our Pilgrim Passport. I've had a US Passport for years now, and I always know where it is. That having been said, make several copies of the photo page of your passport and all other vital travel documents. Keep one copy with you at all times, give one to a family member (emergency contact in your passport), another to a friend you'd do anything for, and forward the last to yourself in an email. This way, in case you do lose your passport or any other vital documents, you have some recourse. I make sure that the regular number and the after-hours number of the closest US Embassy/Consulate is in my possession when traveling abroad.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
WanderingChristian said:
Anniesantiago said:
Please put your passport in your MONEY BELT AROUND YOUR WAIST or I won't be able to sleep!

IMNSHO The only "passport" that can be kept outside a money belt is our Pilgrim Passport. I've had a US Passport for years now, and I always know where it is. That having been said, make several copies of the photo page of your passport and all other vital travel documents. Keep one copy with you at all times, give one to a family member (emergency contact in your passport), another to a friend you'd do anything for, and forward the last to yourself in an email. This way, in case you do lose your passport or any other vital documents, you have some recourse. I make sure that the regular number and the after-hours number of the closest US Embassy/Consulate is in my possession when traveling abroad.

Scan all your documents and store them on your email or gmail. Easy to access and print when needed...or email to embassy in emergency.

If you scan your credit cards and keep them in your email account, don't you risk someone stealing your information? Especially if you plan on using public computers where I've seen photos of flash drives attached to the back of the computer to catch that type of info? :?: ?

Anniesantiago said:
If you scan your credit cards and keep them in your email account, don't you risk someone stealing your information? Especially if you plan on using public computers where I've seen photos of flash drives attached to the back of the computer to catch that type of info? :?: ?

Annie,

from what I know, the only way a flashdrive can "catch" such info is if you copy or move the document into it, or if there is a virus installed in the computer which can save a copy of a screen capture onto the drive. The action would have to be triggered by something (what?), or it would have to be perfomed automatically every few seconds or so. Enough to fill up a flashdrive in a couple of hours with thousands of JPEGs.

Even if that was possible, what would be the difference between that and a store clerk reading the info in your credit card and and transaction slip, and writing that down?

Anyway, I wouldn't keep a scanned copy of my credit card, since once lost or stolen all I would need is the credit card number and the phone number to call to report the loss.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello Pieces, let me start off by saying that since I have been robbed before at knife point I definitely know how you feel and I am really glad no physical harm came to you. With that being said and forgive me if you find this out of line, but I could clearly replay the scene in my head as I was reading and couldnt stop laughing given all the details you gave. I could even picture the said croissant (which I regret you lost). On another note, you're a lucky and brave woman as it could've turned out a lot worse.

bromeliad said:
Anniesantiago said:

Annie,

from what I know, the only way a flashdrive can "catch" such info is if you copy or move the document into it, or if there is a virus installed in the computer which can save a copy of a screen capture onto the drive. The action would have to be triggered by something (what?), or it would have to be perfomed automatically every few seconds or so. Enough to fill up a flashdrive in a couple of hours with thousands of JPEGs.

Even if that was possible, what would be the difference between that and a store clerk reading the info in your credit card and and transaction slip, and writing that down?

Anyway, I wouldn't keep a scanned copy of my credit card, since once lost or stolen all I would need is the credit card number and the phone number to call to report the loss.

FYI, there are some programs that can capture your passwords and email account information just by recording keystrokes. If you are using a public computer, the I suggest bringing a thumb drive with portable versions of a web browser (Chrome or Firefox), as well as a program to protect your keystrokes (Safe Key). It's also a good idea to use a VPN if you are using wifi, also to protect yourself from hackers. Information can be found here:
http://toomanyadapters.com/5-reasons-yo ... traveling/
http://foxnomad.com/2009/11/19/why-you- ... -airports/
http://foxnomad.com/2007/12/13/how-to-k ... net-cafes/

My PayPal was hacked in 2010 while I was on the Camino in SJPdP. The funny thing is I never logged into it while overseas. I am pretty sure a wifi signal I was using hacked into my netbook. I am taking better precautions this trip.

Most read last week in this forum

Reports of money missing from a few wallets at Rocanvelles this afternoon. Money was taken, but the wallets/purses were not. Police have been called. Stay safe!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back