• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Naked Pilgrim

Bert45

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2003, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2018, 2019
Now that I have your attention, I will let you down gently and tell you that I am referring to the bronze sculpture in front of the Cathedral in Burgos. The following can be found on the internet: "El popular peregrino en bronce de la plaza del Rey San Fernando es obra del escultor burgalés Teodoro Antonio Ruiz Ruiz (Olmos de Atapuerca, 1952). Inicialmente la obra fue exhibida en el Paseo del Espolón, a las puertas del Consulado del Mar, como pieza de una exposición del artista promovida por la Diputación de Burgos. En abril de 1999 la obra escultórica, tras una pequeña restauración, fue trasladada a la plaza del Rey San Fernando, inicialmente frente a la la fachada del templo aunque después cambió el emplazamiento para que los turistas se pudieran fotografiar con la estatua manteniendo de fondo la Catedral. En enero de 2000, el peregrino fue adquirido por el Ayuntamiento de Burgos en cerca de 10 millones de pesetas."
I took a photo of 'him' in 2003 when he was facing the Cathedral and one in 2014 when he and the bench had been turned round. I have asked the Burgos tourist office and they referred me to the Archives, who suggested I check the statue's Twitter account. I did that and my questions weren't answered there. My questions are:
1) When was the statue first exhibited in the Paseo del Espolón?
2) When was the statue (and bench) turned around?
3) (Less important) Is the bench part of the sculpture? I mean, did Teodoro Ruiz make the bench for the statue, or is it a bench that had already been made?
If you can answer any of my questions, I would be grateful.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I thought you were referring to Brian Sewell’s documentary on the Camino!
Brian Sewell's fantastic DVD was my first thought (general note: not a Camino walker documentary, you may be disappointed).

My second thought was the real life naked pilgrim who walked into Santiago in July 2020 completamente desnudo - totally naked. One of numerous photos on Twitter and in the Spanish media at the time:
A naked pilgrim.jpg

There is a tradition among some to hike naked on the Appalachian Trail on the day of the summer solstice. Sometimes it’s drama, sometimes it’s comedy.

Isn't that breaking some law of... decency?

They could end up in the Appalachian Trial instead!

*ba-dum-tch*

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Now that I have your attention, I will let you down gently and tell you that I am referring to the bronze sculpture in front of the Cathedral in Burgos. The following can be found on the internet: "El popular peregrino en bronce de la plaza del Rey San Fernando es obra del escultor burgalés Teodoro Antonio Ruiz Ruiz (Olmos de Atapuerca, 1952). Inicialmente la obra fue exhibida en el Paseo del Espolón, a las puertas del Consulado del Mar, como pieza de una exposición del artista promovida por la Diputación de Burgos. En abril de 1999 la obra escultórica, tras una pequeña restauración, fue trasladada a la plaza del Rey San Fernando, inicialmente frente a la la fachada del templo aunque después cambió el emplazamiento para que los turistas se pudieran fotografiar con la estatua manteniendo de fondo la Catedral. En enero de 2000, el peregrino fue adquirido por el Ayuntamiento de Burgos en cerca de 10 millones de pesetas."
I took a photo of 'him' in 2003 when he was facing the Cathedral and one in 2014 when he and the bench had been turned round. I have asked the Burgos tourist office and they referred me to the Archives, who suggested I check the statue's Twitter account. I did that and my questions weren't answered there. My questions are:
3) (Less important) Is the bench part of the sculpture? I mean, did Teodoro Ruiz make the bench for the statue, or is it a bench that had already been made?
I can possibly answer your least important question #3.

The artist’s website shows the bench as part of the sculpture, so it seems safe to assume it is part of the work. https://ta.ruizarte.com/

One can find images of the sculpture in Google Images. Beginning at page 14 of the pdf book linked here, you can find information in Spanish:

Google translate and several other translation programs provide the following:

A break on the Camino

The fatigue of the Camino and the need for a moment of rest to regain strength and, why not, also to abandon oneself to meditation and contemplation, have a place in Jacobean sculpture.

One of the most significant examples is in the Plaza del Rey San Fernando in Burgos, with the cathedral as an imposing backdrop, where the work Peregrino (El Peregrino), by the sculptor Teodoro Antonio Ruiz is located (Fig. 9).

The work, which has been exhibited in various locations since it was first shown in the Paseo del Espolón as part of an exhibition by the artist promoted by the Diputación de Burgos, shows a pilgrim resting in a relaxed attitude on the end of a bench, thus inviting the viewer to take an active part in the work, as it allows him to share a moment with the artist; thus fulfilling one of the basic premises of the artist from Burgos, who seeks in his sculptures surprise and integration in the urban environment in which they are placed.

In the work, Teodoro Ruiz demonstrates his predilection for bronze, a material in which he has created a universe of forms over the course of several decades, in a figurative and classical line in his early works, and with a modern invoice in his most recent pieces, but always providing a solidity and special brilliance to metal that turns his works into imperishable objects.

A sculptor who feels admiration for Julio González and Pablo Gargallo, he works with bronze to achieve very different textures, as is shown in the monument in Burgos, in which he polishes some details until they acquire a precious golden tone, as we can see in the face, the start of the shoulders, the shell resting on his chest, or the upper part of the staff from which hangs a gourd on which the artist's signature can be read; also the bench that serves as a rest for the bronze pilgrim acquires that polished character that confers a certain hyperrealism. However, the body presents a rough treatment, almost as if it were tree bark, or rather, as if it were covered with wounds and lacerations. Special mention should be made in this regard to the back, where the spine is marked and appears to be split open. The rough treatment of the material gives the work greater expressiveness and gives it a certain pictorial character. ***

I have asked the Burgos tourist office and they referred me to the Archives, who suggested I check the statue's Twitter account
Does the statue actually have a Twitter account? Or did they mean the Twitter account of the Burgos tourist office? Their Twitter account posted a photo that shows the back of the statue:

Burgos peregrino.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Bait and Switch

Brian Sewell's fantastic DVD was my first thought (general note: not a Camino walker documentary, you may be disappointed).

My second thought was the real life naked pilgrim who walked into Santiago in July 2020 completamente desnudo - totally naked. One of numerous photos on Twitter and in the Spanish media at the time:
View attachment 105419
Good for him. Why the heck not?

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Does the statue actually have a Twitter account? Or did they mean the Twitter account of the Burgos tourist office? Their Twitter account posted a photo that shows the back of the statue:

View attachment 105481
They meant the Twitter account of the statue! "Esta estatua tiene cuenta en twitter: @PeregrinoBu por lo que debe mirar en esa cuenta pues con seguridad se informará de cuando se dio la vuelta a la estatua." -- Nothing new since 2016. They were wrong. He doesn't say when he turned around. Interesting to find that, in Spanish, 'upside down' and 'back to front' are the same, at least, according to Google Translate.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
But can we all get back to the point of my OP? If you can't answer my questions, please don't drivel on this thread.
Bert45, as part of my virtual Camino, I had been studying the statuaries of Burgos when I read your initial questions, so I took a few minor detours in search of answers. Short version: No luck on your first two questions at all. Longer version: Possibly because public use of the Internet was largely tied to slow modems, and had not yet exploded, in the 1990s, information and photos from that period are a bit scarce. The earliest dated photos I found of El Peregrino are from 2009. By that time, our benched friend already had been moved and was facing away from the cathedral. See, for example, this Google Maps street view with an image capture date of July, 2009:

Alamy has a stock photo dated May 14, 2009, showing the front view in the same placement:

By November 7, 2010, our peripatetic friend appears to have moved to an upper level of the cathedral balcony as shown in this night photo:

By November 7 of the following year, he had wandered back to the lower elevation:

He appears in photos after 2011 in this position, facing away from the cathedral:

So, your 2003 photo in which he faces the cathedral may be unique. Any chance you could share a copy?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Here he is, with me:
The photo was taken 21 April 2003 (on film), by a passer-by or possibly another pilgrim.
Wow! I have put a unique photo on the internet!
Nicely and uniquely done! Thank you very much. During my searches, I saw no photos from that perspective.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back