• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Narrow Road to the Deep North

Caminando

Veteran Member
Those who like Japanese literature will recognise the title...I read it before this camino and felt an affinity somewhat with this 16th century (?) poet. You might care to read it, for the Camino de Madrid is also a narrow road to the deep north. Inspired by Basho, I wanted to keep a wonderful journal on the way, but didnt, of course. I was always too tired and thus have spared myself the turgid task of reading my notes.

This CM is a gem among caminos, and I found it absolutely wonderful. With only 300ish doing it last year, I found back an important element of my first CF so long ago, when not many walked there. The people I met on the CM were generous and helpful: the vast landscapes where the camino joined the far horizon were utterly liberating, and the pueblos and cities were immensely rewarding. I will be back on this way again. I am very content to have walked there. I love it to bits. When I finally stopped some kilometres from Sahagun, despite being tired, I was a bit high, a bit charged. It was pleasing to immediately fall into good company, and this helped to ground me somewhat.

My walk ended as said, near Sahagun and I witnessed the huge numbers here where the CF meets the CM. I took an hour out to see the numbers passing as I sat on a pueblo wall, my feet still throbbing a little from my walk. Here I had the pleasure of meeting again two key and truly hospitable people of the camino, who are energised by the Way and in turn enrich the lives of others**. I also enjoyed meeting Lydia, a forum member on her happy way to SDC, striding out strongly; she's walking still. There was a kindly and good man from Fife who conducted himself with dignity - also a forum member- who I met briefly, before he left for the Camino Inglés. I thoroughly enjoyed much good talk and good table; the bottled sunshine encouraged me to talk more bollocks than usual, if that's possible.

On the way back, in Madrid, in La Reina Sofia museum, I had the pleasure of a good exhibition of Workers Photographs from the 1930s; Soviet Union, Europe and the US.

Back in France, I had a day of effortful and intense garden work rolling back the jungle, for I will be off again soon.

In a day or two, I will happily give back to the Camino a little of the kindness** given to me. There's a suitable balance here - two weeks of receiving, two weeks of giving.

** "....and in the end,
the love you take
is equal to the love you make...."

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Lest it be thought that I complain about attacking jungles, I also sat for many hours under a cherry tree drinking wine, reading and listening to Qwalli music, the spiritual music of a branch of Islam.

I reflected much on my CM and why I liked it: it was

The beauty of the way
the solitude
the company
the tiny number of pilgrims
the landscape
the towns and pueblos
the kind people
the welcome at the end near Sahagun
the chat, the wine, the table

...................Life enhancing!!

I have not much time left on this earth, and neither do you. These experiences exhilarate and at the same time sadden me because they must end one day.

Buen camino

Caminando said:
Lest it be thought that I complain about attacking jungles, I also sat for many hours under a cherry tree drinking wine, reading and listening to Qwalli music, the spiritual music of a branch of Islam.

I reflected much on my CM and why I liked it: it was

The beauty of the way
the solitude
the company
the tiny number of pilgrims
the landscape
the towns and pueblos
the kind people
the welcome at the end near Sahagun
the chat, the wine, the table

...................Life enhancing!!

I have not much time left on this earth, and neither do you. These experiences exhilarate and at the same time sadden me because they must end one day.

Buen camino

I am about to read the very book. You may also like this which I came across whilst on a retreat:

There is nothing more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in love in a quite absolute final way.

What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination will effect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning, what you will do with your evening, how you spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart and what amazes you with joy and gratitude.

Fall in love, stay in love and it will decide everything.

Torrent :arrow:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back