• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD the Netherlands in lockdown.

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD

Peter Fransiscus

Be a Rainbow in someone else's cloud.
Time of past OR future Camino
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.

Slowing the spread of the Omicron variant: lockdown in the Netherlands​

News item | 18-12-2021 | 19:15

It has become clear in the past week that the Omicron variant is spreading very rapidly in the Netherlands too. The Outbreak Management Team (OMT) expects that this variant will be the dominant variant in the Netherlands by the end of December. This is sooner than previously expected. This rapid increase in infections means the number of COVID-19 patients in hospitals and ICUs will rise further before the end of the year. It is therefore looking increasingly likely that the healthcare system will become overburdened in January. We all want hospital and GP care to be available when we need it. The spread of the Omicron variant must be slowed as soon as possible in order to ensure healthcare services remain available to all. This is why the government has decided that the Netherlands will go into lockdown from Sunday 19 December until at least Friday 14 January 2022.
The Omicron variant is relatively new and many factors are therefore uncertain. Despite these uncertainties, the modelling experts at the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM) were able to calculate how fast the virus can spread in different circumstances. For more details on this, see the RIVM news item (in Dutch). These calculations show that the measures already in place are not sufficient to ensure the pressure on hospitals and care homes remains manageable.

Measures and urgent advice applicable from Sunday 19 December 2021​

• Everyone should stay at home as much as possible and avoid busy places.
  • Always stay 1.5 metres apart.
  • Receive no more than 2 visitors aged 13 and over per day. On 24, 25 and 26 December and on 31 December and 1 January the maximum number of visitors aged 13 and over is 4 per day.
  • Visit no more than 1 household a day.
  • The maximum group size outdoors for people aged 13 and over is 2 people. There can be more than 2 people in a group if everyone in the group lives at the same address.
  • Educational institutions and out-of-school care (BSO) are closed until at least 9 January 2022. There are some exceptions. On 3 January the government will decide in what form education will resume from 10 January.
  • All hospitality venues are closed, except for delivery and takeaway.
  • All non-essential shops are closed, except for click and collect and returns.
  • Essential shops, such as supermarkets and chemists, can open until 20.00. Face masks must be worn. The maximum number of shoppers is one per 5 square metres.
  • Certain locations, such as petrol stations, pharmacies, libraries, driving schools, notaries’ offices and lawyers’ offices can open for their normal hours.
  • All locations where non-medical contact-based professions are carried out, such as hairdressers and beauty salons, are closed.
  • Cinemas, museums, theatres and concert venues are closed.
  • All indoor sports facilities are closed, except for swimming lessons. Outdoor sports facilities can open for all ages between 05.00 and 17.00. People aged 18 and over can engage in sports outdoors, alone or in groups of 2. They must stay 1.5 metres apart. Children and teenagers aged 17 and under can play sports outdoors and can take part in matches and competitions within their own club.
  • Events are not permitted, except for funerals (no more than 100 people), weekly markets selling groceries, and professional sports matches and competitions (no spectators).
Check the overview of basic rules, measures, conditions and exceptions.

The new measures are in addition to the measures and advice that already apply to everyone in the Netherlands, such as following the basic rules to combat the spread of coronavirus, wearing a face mask where required, doing a self-test before visiting others and working from home. People aged 70 and over are still advised to limit their contacts as much as possible, including with children under 12. If they do have interactions with children, they should take care to keep a 1.5-metre distance.

Business owners, companies and workers can make use of the financial support package that has recently been extended.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

It has become clear in the past week that the Omicron variant is spreading very rapidly in the Netherlands too. The Outbreak Management Team (OMT) expects that this variant will be the dominant variant in the Netherlands by the end of December. This is sooner than previously expected. This rapid increase in infections means the number of COVID-19 patients in hospitals and ICUs will rise further before the end of the year. It is therefore looking increasingly likely that the healthcare system will become overburdened in January. We all want hospital and GP care to be available when we need it. The spread of the Omicron variant must be slowed as soon as possible in order to ensure healthcare services remain available to all. This is why the government has decided that the Netherlands will go into lockdown from Sunday 19 December until at least Friday 14 January 2022.
The Omicron variant is relatively new and many factors are therefore uncertain. Despite these uncertainties, the modelling experts at the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM) were able to calculate how fast the virus can spread in different circumstances. For more details on this, see the RIVM news item (in Dutch). These calculations show that the measures already in place are not sufficient to ensure the pressure on hospitals and care homes remains manageable.

• Receive no more than 2 visitors aged 13 and over per day. On 24, 25 and 26 December and on 31 December and 1 January the maximum number of visitors aged 13 and over is 4 per day.
  • The maximum group size outdoors for people aged 13 and over is 2 people. There can be more than 2 people in a group if everyone in the group lives at the same address.
  • Educational institutions and out-of-school care (BSO) are closed until at least 9 January 2022. There are some exceptions. On 3 January the government will decide in what form education will resume from 10 January.
  • Essential shops, such as supermarkets and chemists, can open until 20.00. Face masks must be worn. The maximum number of shoppers is one per 5 square metres.
  • Certain locations, such as petrol stations, pharmacies, libraries, driving schools, notaries’ offices and lawyers’ offices can open for their normal hours.
  • All locations where non-medical contact-based professions are carried out, such as hairdressers and beauty salons, are closed.
  • All indoor sports facilities are closed, except for swimming lessons. Outdoor sports facilities can open for all ages between 05.00 and 17.00. People aged 18 and over can engage in sports outdoors, alone or in groups of 2. They must stay 1.5 metres apart. Children and teenagers aged 17 and under can play sports outdoors and can take part in matches and competitions within their own club.
  • Events are not permitted, except for funerals (no more than 100 people), weekly markets selling groceries, and professional sports matches and competitions (no spectators).

The new measures are in addition to the measures and advice that already apply to everyone in the Netherlands, such as following the basic rules to combat the spread of coronavirus, wearing a face mask where required, doing a self-test before visiting others and working from home. People aged 70 and over are still advised to limit their contacts as much as possible, including with children under 12. If they do have interactions with children, they should take care to keep a 1.5-metre distance.

Business owners, companies and workers can make use of the financial support package that has recently been extended.
Stay safe, Peter and Mariana.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Do you get the feeling "here we go again"?

My first lockdown was in Spain in 2020, second here in The Netherlands last fall/winter and now here again...sigh...

Was out walking my dog this morning around a popular running/walking area and I didn't see anyone following the maximum group size of 2...no excuse but people are fed up with the yoyo restrictions of this government: two week this, another two weeks that without a clear long-term vision. I'll stop here otherwise I may just breach one of the forum rules;)

Stay safe everyone.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
no excuse but people are fed up with the yoyo restrictions of this government: two week this, another two weeks that without a clear long-term vision
Is it even possible to retain a clear long-term vision in these strange times? Best wishes to all forum members sentenced to lockdown in the Netherlands or elsewhere.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Do you get the feeling "here we go again"?

My first lockdown was in Spain in 2020, second here in The Netherlands last fall/winter and now here again...sigh...

Was out walking my dog this morning around a popular running/walking area and I didn't see anyone following the maximum group size of 2...no excuse but people are fed up with the yoyo restrictions of this government: two week this, another two weeks that without a clear long-term vision. I'll stop here otherwise I may just breach one of the forum rules;)

Stay safe everyone.
I know how you feel!
Exiled indefinitely here. Can't see those borders opening any time soon.

This is going to continue for a long time imo. I can't see an endpoint. We can hope that the virus mutates into something harmless, or we discover a magic bullet, but at the moment there is no hard evidence of either happening.

Each of us will be experiencing different stressors, different conditions, different regulations, different sources of information, different risk profiles and have different opinions on how to cope with the virus. What we all have in common is our humanity, our desire to live our best lives, and hopefully our love and compassion for each other. To me, those things encapsulate what we experience when we walk the Camino. Let's keep the forum focussed on that.

And just a reminder, it is preferable to use a link to official government websites and announcements, WHO or other reputable organisations, rather than to editorialise and use them as a way of avoiding the forum prohibition on political comment.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This is going to continue for a long time imo. I can't see an endpoint. We can hope that the virus mutates into something harmless, or we discover a magic bullet, but at the moment there is no hard evidence of either happening.

Each of us will be experiencing different stressors, different conditions, different regulations, different sources of information, different risk profiles and have different opinions on how to cope with the virus. What we all have in common is our humanity, our desire to live our best lives, and hopefully our love and compassion for each other. To me, those things encapsulate what we experience when we walk the Camino. Let's keep the forum focussed on that.

And just a reminder, it is preferable to use a link to official government websites and announcements, WHO or other reputable organisations, rather than to editorialise and use them as a way of avoiding the forum prohibition on political comment.
For the first time instead of thinking what I’m going do in six months or so after this virus “thing” calms down, I’m starting to wonder how to make plans if this goes on for five or more years. And how am I going to live the life I want?

I love and appreciate these words, @Kanga; well said!

For the first time instead of thinking what I’m going do in six months or so after this virus “thing” calms down, I’m starting to wonder how to make plans if this goes on for five or more years. And how am I going to live the life I want?
Yes, I agree Stephan. I know it is taking the thread away from the original post, but I also am pondering. I recall books by people who never strayed from their tiny patch of the world, yet who had rich and rewarding lives.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Couldn't agree more - my plans on retirement were to travel as much as I could. Nothing exotic just get out there.

After two illnesses and this pandemic I wonder if/when that desire will be fulfilled but try to keep in mind a few wise words from a fellow pilgrim: Nothing bad lasts forever - it will get better!

She was talking about walking up to O Cebreiro (in the days before they cleaned up the path) but it's not a bad aphorism for life in general and, specifically, nowadays.

Ultreia!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back