• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The New Years Day Camino? Winter Tips

Stay in climate Barcelona or risk a half camino?

• Stay in Barcelona

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Get yourself on Camino!

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

Sarah80

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk july 15
Hi All,

I completed my first Camino just back in August and did many of the things I promised myself I would do on that camino to improve my life, one of those things was start my own business. I have done that and now can not envisage any real free time for quite a while but between Jan 1-Jan13th (encompassing my birthday) I do have that period as its especially quiet in Spain (I live in Barcelona). So I wondered about a winter half-camino between SJPdP and Burgos. I know I'll likely have to skirt round Valcarlos but even still the weather could be pretty fierce.

Having been a fairweather summer Pilgrim back in August, is it a mistake to go out there at this time, am I in danger of blowing all my happy memories into a miserable trudge in the freezing cold, obviously I need a complete change of gear but could there be any other surprises in store? Did anyone regret a winter camino?

I had such a fantastic time the first time around, but I also know I'm not going to free in Summer or any other time this year, is it "too soon", should I grasp it or am I in for a rude awakening?!?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You will not have nearly so much company as in August. January and February caminos are sometimes seen as penance by extroverts.
You will walk farther between open albergues.
Some of the albergues will not be heated. Dress in layers!
You'll encompass the Three Kings holiday, which can complicate your albergue plans -- you'll have to call ahead, because things close at random sometimes.
It may be an awful trudge. But it may be the best thing you ever did.
So far, winter on the plains is coming in pretty dry and mild.
Just do it!

On one of my caminos I walked the CF in January-February because it was the only time I had available. At first I was concerned about the weather and logistics but after researching on this forum I found all the information I needed to prepare. I loved walking in the winter. It was quiet and there were fewer pilgrims, but I was surprised at how many were walking at that time of year. I had many days and a few nights alone (my choice by varying some stages) but still acquired a "camino family" and walked the final two weeks with them. I now actually prefer to walk in colder weather. I found I really enjoy the quiet solitude. I experienced everything from snow to sunny warm days where I needed sunscreen and walked in just shirt and pants. It is important to have the right equipment and lots of layers for winter weather.

I don't think you are in danger of blowing all your happy memories from your first camino. Those will never change. Just recognize it will be a different Camino and don't go with expectations that it will be like your summer Camino...be open to what ever the Camino has to offer. However, if you desire a very social Camino with lots of pilgrims or are uncomfortable walking alone during the day, you may find a winter Camino is not for you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi All,

I completed my first Camino just back in August and did many of the things I promised myself I would do on that camino to improve my life, one of those things was start my own business. I have done that and now can not envisage any real free time for quite a while but between Jan 1-Jan13th (encompassing my birthday) I do have that period as its especially quiet in Spain (I live in Barcelona). So I wondered about a winter half-camino between SJPdP and Burgos. I know I'll likely have to skirt round Valcarlos but even still the weather could be pretty fierce.

Having been a fairweather summer Pilgrim back in August, is it a mistake to go out there at this time, am I in danger of blowing all my happy memories into a miserable trudge in the freezing cold, obviously I need a complete change of gear but could there be any other surprises in store? Did anyone regret a winter camino?

I had such a fantastic time the first time around, but I also know I'm not going to free in Summer or any other time this year, is it "too soon", should I grasp it or am I in for a rude awakening?!?
There is a great video blog by a couple who started their camino on 1st January (with a baby!). If you go onto YouTube and search for 'beyourpotential' you will find all their daily videos. Enjoy - really motivational
Regards, Frank

Hey

Thanks for your replies. I have seen the list of available albergues posted at the top of the forum, seems like a lot more limited options than summer!

So, the tickets are booked, into Pamplona on the 1st of January and back from Burgos on the 13th. It's funny that the cost of the rail tickets is less than a third of the price of the quoted taxi from Pamplona to St Jean. There are no buses that day to Roncesvalles either so a taxi costs 121 euro - ouch! Anyone know any other way to get from Pamplona to St Jean on New Years Day? Big ask I suppose so looks like private taxi.

Thanks for the advice about 3 kings, I'll be between Puente la Reina and Estella on the 6th and seems there's nothing open in Estella so will have to push thru to Ayegi (not too bad) but will still be calling ahead, good advice.

Starting in BCN! Maybe one day!

Matthew, Victoria and Indigo... Yes, I'm watching them now, looks COLD coming off the Pyrenees in that video.

I'm so excited and blessed to be going again, I really can not wait :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
... into Pamplona on the 1st of January and back from Burgos on the 13th. It's funny that the cost of the rail tickets is less than a third of the price of the quoted taxi from Pamplona to St Jean. There are no buses that day to Roncesvalles either so a taxi costs 121 euro - ouch! Anyone know any other way to get from Pamplona to St Jean on New Years Day? Big ask I suppose so looks like private taxi. ...

As the 'High Road' over the Pyrenees is closed any way is there any reason you have to start walking in SJPdP? Why don't you just start walking where you arrive? In Pamplona? Buen Camino? SY

Hey,

I'm not sure why not!

I am quite fond of SJPdP and have this feeling that starting there is somehow right, but a more realistic reason is that I would be pretty slow walking to go from Pamplona to Burgos in 12 days but .... on the other hand, perhaps I skip the worst of the cold and can spend more time in Pamplona, Logrono and Burgos, I didn't go to any of those cathedrals first time around.

I'm going to think on that suggestion!

I am laughing because I had the same thought as Sarah.. when Sy mentioned it.
I am leaving SJPP on 12 January and am arriving from Paris...
Not sure why I need to start in St. Jean again...but it just feels right.
I have walked both routes (Napoleon & Valcarlos) in the past so pretty much know them both.
Not even sure how to get to Pamplona from Paris if I did decide to skip the SJPP start.
Like Sarah...I would be much to far ahead if I skipped the first couple days as I am meeting my wife in Leon and would get there much too soon. I have walked the CF 3 times in the past so really don't need any sight seeing days. I am doing the Winter Camino to avoid the crowds and to cross it off my bucket list.
Hoping for challenging weather.:cool:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Another camino, Another experience. I'm sure that would sound better in Latin :) We walked from Dec 27. Yes, it's very cold but it gives you a rather smug feeling of being oh so tough. We only had winter as an option the year we did it, and we took it. Never regretted it. It was our first of three different caminos, (Frances, then Via Francigena , then Le Puys) so it definitely didn't turn us off, and they have all been so totally different - each camino you do has its charms and its drawbacks. For winter, kit up well, with clothes that enable you to be comfortable in extreme weather (there's plenty of info on the threads about that) and be prepared to take local advice about the weather so you don't die in the attempt. We loved it.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back