• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The New York Times: "Culture Pilgrims in Santiago de Compost

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, Ivar,

When I read this article, I was surprised that though it had a huge half-page picture of the cathedral, the focus is really on that Ciudad de la Cultura complex that we all see when we walk into Santiago. I had never visited it because people in Santiago told me that there really wasn't anything there -- one man told me that they ran out of money and so are now left with a huge extravagant building complex with a few books inside. I was hoping maybe you or someone else on the forum has actually been there and can give us an idea of what there is to do there. Should it be on our "must see" list the next time we arrive in Santiago?

And I would second the recommendation of the tapas at Abastos 2.0. A Portuguese friend had recommended it to me and I was able to eat there this summer. YUM. (not open at night, though, at least it wasn't when I was there).

Laurie

We visited the City of Culture in march this year and looking back in my journal i have written "long walk up, impressive with not much open but lots of books, coffee and chocolate from vending machine which did not work very well. " From what I can remember 2 buildings were open, one was the library where they were still filling the shelves and I think the other was a history section. There was still building work going on. It was free to enter but there was no information about it. I think it depends how long you have in Santiago to be on a must see list.
Liz

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There is a cafe open now... and some times they have events up there, but still early on. Ask at the tourist office in Santiago to see if there is things going on. There are still buildings that have not yet been opened, I think they are scheduled to open this year (or next, don't remember).

If you are interested in archicecture, it is worth a visit. If not.... not important. If you are bored in old town and nothing else to do... it might be a good option. Very nice views from there.

More:
http://www.cidadedacultura.org/
Photos here

Most read last week in this forum

I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.