• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino The NOISE!

LauraK

Time of past OR future Camino
Leon-Santiago (2004) Roncesvalles-Leon (2006) Camino Frances (2012) Kumano Kodo-Japan (2014) Camino Sanabres/Salamanca-Santiago (March 2015) Camino Del Salvador and Camino Primativo (Oct 2015)
I just arrived in Salamanca and I am staying in a little hotel just off the Plaza Mayor. I opened the window in my room last night because I was warm and....the noise! Yelling, singing, laughing, loud (did I say LOUD) talking, rapid fire Spanish...such energy. It sounds like I am inside a giant bee hive...buzzing and humming nothing really understandable. It ebbed and flowed all night long. It never stopped...who is out there at 4:30am on a Friday morning?! What are they laughing about? Who is Antonio? And so here I lay on my bed with a big smile on my face. Yes! I am in Spain. And loving it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I just arrived in Salamanca and I am staying in a little hotel just off the Plaza Mayor. I opened the window in my room last night because I was warm and....the noise! Yelling, singing, laughing, loud (did I say LOUD) talking, rapid fire Spanish...such energy. It sounds like I am inside a giant bee hive...buzzing and humming nothing really understandable. It ebbed and flowed all night long. It never stopped...who is out there at 4:30am on a Friday morning?! What are they laughing about? Who is Antonio? And so here I lay on my bed with a big smile on my face. Yes! I am in Spain. And loving it.
Way to roll with it and appreciate it for all it's differences.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Even small towns can be like that, especially in the summer. I was in Bergara south of San Sebastian to visit the famous and remote Mugaritz restaurant in the Basque hills. I tried their much heralded lunch time tasting menu on two consecutive days and stayed the night in Bergara. My hotel room overlooked the town square and I found it was also the town's living room, full of life and noise with grandmas and grandpas looking after fractious youngsters while mom and dad drank beers and wine at nearby plaza tables.
BTW, Mugaritz has become the top dining spot in Spain since El Bulli closed. I have been to both and I think it is a "hard eight" to say which is/was the best, totally different food stuff: molecular v traditional.

One of the beauties of Spain are that people are out. Not just university students but families, walking, mingling and dining - out. Maybe not at 4:30 but normally in every town and city the spanish are always out. But, they also siesta, so find yourself a tree to nap under during the day.
Love it.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
...I was in Bergara south of San Sebastian to visit the famous and remote Mugaritz restaurant in the Basque hills. I tried their much heralded lunch time tasting menu on two consecutive days and stayed the night in Bergara.
Lucky you! How was it all? Did you see the famous oak tree? Hope your memories are delicious!

MM

I just love being with my Spanish friends and their families on a warm sunny evening sharing tapas and a drink outside a bar while the children play all around. Heaven! Many chances to do something similar along the Camino on afternoons as the children arrive from school. An example? Sitting outside the bar opposite the playground in Cirauqui as the bus arrives bringing the children back and parents chatting while they played in the park. Oh I can taste the cold beer now!

Even small towns can be like that, especially in the summer. I was in Bergara south of San Sebastian to visit the famous and remote Mugaritz restaurant in the Basque hills. I tried their much heralded lunch time tasting menu on two consecutive days and stayed the night in Bergara. My hotel room overlooked the town square and I found it was also the town's living room, full of life and noise with grandmas and grandpas looking after fractious youngsters while mom and dad drank beers and wine at nearby plaza tables.
BTW, Mugaritz has become the top dining spot in Spain since El Bulli closed. I have been to both and I think it is a "hard eight" to say which is/was the best, totally different food stuff: molecular v traditional.

Ohh you lucky man!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Lucky Laura! Even the ability to open your window at night makes me green with envy -- last night our low hit -2 or -3 F.

Hope you have a wonderful Vdlp and Sanabrés, oh what I would give..... Buen camino, Laurie

Lucky you! How was it all? Did you see the famous oak tree? Hope your memories are delicious!

MM
Yes I did, quite a nice small town is Axpe. I spent some time in Durango on my visit and had no idea the Nazis had bombed it on a market day around the same time they bombed Guernica. There were horrible dealings between Franco and Hitler and it is one of the reason I have never/won't visit Germany.
At Mugaritz I ordered lobster the second day I was there and it would have served three persons, absolutely the best piece of seafood I have ever eaten. The service staff is part of the kitchen crew, so they cater to your every request. The wine list is unbelievable.
El Bulli was an an amazing place. My daughter "won the lottery" as far as getting us a reservation. We stayed in Roses for 3 days, what a lovely place. Taxied to El Bulli, a 30 minute journey, and had a 30 course meal with paired wines for each course. I sure hope Ferran opens another place soon. He is a magician when it comes to food.DSCF0255.JPG Here is photo of my daughter with her mentor Ferran Adria.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ha ha. Now you know you are in Spain.

Students! it's a big university city. I vaguely remember 50 years ago when I stayed up laughing till 4am!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What a great video to go with this post! Ha! I guess one could just go down and join the party! Great song. He is still handsome.

To me, it sounds like fun.
I found that most places on the CF were pretty quiet. The places that were "noisy" I translated into "lively" and wished I could go out and join them (as a natural born night owl). However, the Camino compelled me to join my bunk mates, knowing the morning light would come in the window way too soon. Oh, but how I wanted to party,sing, and dance!
Next time, I shall.

You want to see what it's like in July and August! Every Friday and Saturday we walked into a fiesta that went on all night. Azofra was frustrating because it was right by us but nobody was allowed out. El Acebo, Melide and Murias very relaxed with regards to access but nobody got a lot of sleep. All part of the amazing experience.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As you can read, most of us would switch places with you! I have done the Plata in the summer and the winter and the Sanabres in the summer and the fall and I would be pleased to do them all over again! Have a wonderful Camino!

Tis that Mediterranean thing... I found the same in Greece - except it was Yannis instead of Antonio! The earplugs are not just for albergues....

Your opening the window in the night is essential in albergues where large numbers of people are sharing the same limited amount of air. Not just consuming the oxygen but also contributing various odours to it. Albergues also seem to universally provide some heat in the cold but are less likely to cool the air when it is hot. So some ventilation is essential. Outside noises are a welcome, or unwelcome byproduct.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Lovely photo Angulero and great to hear that song again Wayfarer...

Seriously jealous!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Oh, but how I wanted to party,sing, and dance!
Next time, I shall.

. . . but not if I'm staying in a convent. If the Spanish nuns say the door is locked at 9:00, I wouldn't want to test them. I'd rather get in the ring with a bull in Sahagun.

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back