• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Norte in May

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The Norte in May is simply glorious, but we started in Irun, so slightly behind you. We stayed in places recommended in the Cicerone guide (The Northern Caminos).

Hi Runa
Great to see you are picking up Norte from your 2014 stop at Guemes.
Just thought I'd add that.

I hope you'll get some good ideas on stops to help you with plans.
You would like the Joe Flavin recommendations. I stopped in Casa Belen and the hotel mentioned at villaviciosa but these often depending on the day (and who you are travelling with) .

Buen Camino my friend.
Annie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you Kanga and Ann. Everything helps and I am so glad that the is nice in May.
I am so excited to go back and to the beautiful Albergue in Guemes.
Thank you again ladies.

I walked the Norte starting in mid May, and only had a very basic guide from the tourist office. I found that the hospitaleros were all very well informed about the next days walking and could tell you of your options of where to stay, as they knew what was open then. It often boiled down to a simple choice of walking either a shorter day or a longer one as the alberges would be spaced apart.

Hi Runa, it's awesome that you'll be doing the CDN in May! I also walked the CDN in May of 2013. So, your plan is to finish in Santiago de Compostela, right? Oh, you're going to love it! Many nice albergues along the way, and you won't have a problem finding a place to stay. I loved Santillana, and chose to stay there at a hotel for 2 nights so I could visit the replica of the Cuevas de Altamira (worth it), they also have a museum there on the Inquisition - which is an eye opener! Oh, before getting to San Vicente de la Barquera do stop/stay in Comillas and visit one of Antoní Gaudí's first commissioned private homes called "El Capricho". It was one of my Camino highlights. Take a look at the photo:) So many great memories of this beautiful area! You won't regret it, anda plus in May is that there are many flowers blooming along the way!
Ultreïa!
Mary

Attachments

• El Capricho - Comillas.jpg
    El Capricho - Comillas.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked the Norte starting in mid May, and only had a very basic guide from the tourist office. I found that the hospitaleros were all very well informed about the next days walking and could tell you of your options of where to stay, as they knew what was open then. It often boiled down to a simple choice of walking either a shorter day or a longer one as the alberges would be spaced apart.
Thank you so much for the informations MKalcolm M

Hi Runa, it's awesome that you'll be doing the CDN in May! I also walked the CDN in May of 2013. So, your plan is to finish in Santiago de Compostela, right? Oh, you're going to love it! Many nice albergues along the way, and you won't have a problem finding a place to stay. I loved Santillana, and chose to stay there at a hotel for 2 nights so I could visit the replica of the Cuevas de Altamira (worth it), they also have a museum there on the Inquisition - which is an eye opener! Oh, before getting to San Vicente de la Barquera do stop/stay in Comillas and visit one of Antoní Gaudí's first commissioned private homes called "El Capricho". It was one of my Camino highlights. Take a look at the photo:) So many great memories of this beautiful area! You won't regret it, anda plus in May is that there are many flowers blooming along the way!
Ultreïa!
Mary
Hi Mary. Thank you so much for your good advise, and I love the photo. I am getting excited to go and enjoy the journey.
Best regards
Runa

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.