• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Not so Serious thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Yesterday I got a large postcard in the mail from a man running for a town office. First I see a list of things he stands for. One is

Keep tax rates stable (so families have more money for their pets)

That made me turn the card over. On the face of the card there is a collage of six pictures, two of which show the candidate with his dog. The other four pictures are of the dog only.

Forgive me (especially two of you) but this came from a thread kids in schools and also about problems with names (and I fall into that category).

I worked in an innercity school. First day, I got around hard to pronounce names by calling out last names to check attendance, and asking my kiddos what name they preferred... and explained even nicknames were ok, so long as parents knew who I would be calling about. I get to one particularly dark skinned young man and he says something that sounds like “bluk boi” I look around and no one is laughing. I ask him to repeat himself a couple of times and finally and clearly says, “black boy”. Rest of convo went like this-

Me laughing: black boy!? You want me to call you black boy?!

Him, totally serious: yeah, everyone calls me that. Even my grandma.

Me: so let me get this straight, when I need your attention you want me, a white guy, to shout out “hey Black boy come here.”, “hey black boy, sit down”, “hey black boy pay attention”? Other kids finally realize what I’ve been laughing about and start to laugh too.

Him: yeah (said like I’m an idiot)

Me: you’re just trying to get me fired aren’t you

Him: so you’re not gonna call me black boy?

Me: I can’t man. Did you get another nickname?

Him: How about Monkey

We settled on BB for the year.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thinking back to kids in school; in seventh grade (12 and 13 year olds) my favorite teacher ever was talking about refreshments for an extracurricular activity "I'm sorry but there won't be any tea and crumpets." One of the smartest students comes back with "How about beer and pretzels?"

Yesterday I got a large postcard in the mail from a man running for a town office. First I see a list of things he stands for. One is

Keep tax rates stable (so families have more money for their pets)

That made me turn the card over. On the face of the card there is a collage of six pictures, two of which show the candidate with his dog. The other four pictures are of the dog only.
Is this the candidate that is "running" for office?
Screenshot_20220323-204106~2.png

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Forgive me (especially two of you) but this came from a thread kids in schools and also about problems with names (and I fall into that category).

I worked in an innercity school. First day, I got around hard to pronounce names by calling out last names to check attendance, and asking my kiddos what name they preferred... and explained even nicknames were ok, so long as parents knew who I would be calling about. I get to one particularly dark skinned young man and he says something that sounds like “bluk boi” I look around and no one is laughing. I ask him to repeat himself a couple of times and finally and clearly says, “black boy”. Rest of convo went like this-

Me laughing: black boy!? You want me to call you black boy?!

Him, totally serious: yeah, everyone calls me that. Even my grandma.

Me: so let me get this straight, when I need your attention you want me, a white guy, to shout out “hey Black boy come here.”, “hey black boy, sit down”, “hey black boy pay attention”? Other kids finally realize what I’ve been laughing about and start to laugh too.

Him: yeah (said like I’m an idiot)

Me: you’re just trying to get me fired aren’t you

Him: so you’re not gonna call me black boy?

Me: I can’t man. Did you get another nickname?

Him: How about Monkey

We settled on BB for the year.

Children say funny things sometimes. I have a small book written by a French schoolteacher who, during many years, collected hundreds of “gems” from young student’s essays (the title is ‘La foire aux cancres’). A couple of my favorite gems are:

Physics/Archimedes Principle: “An object which is submerged into a liquid and does not reappear within 30 minutes must be considered lost”.

Biology: “The cow is a big animal that has four corners. Underneath it is the milk-mechanism which the peasant’s wife has to keep clean at all times”.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am one of their people.😆
I watched a movie on Netflix two days ago; "Black Crab". I didn't really like it very well, but today I had already forgotten what it was about, so I'd googled to jog my memory...thank goodness I still remember several hours later.🙄😂...I always remember my favorites though.
This is a "True Confession", not a movie...anyone else have a story of your own?

€46,-
I am one of their people.😆
I watched a movie on Netflix two days ago; "Black Crab". I didn't really like it very well, but today I had already forgotten what it was about, so I'd googled to jog my memory...thank goodness I still remember several hours later.🙄😂...I always remember my favorites though.
This is a "True Confession", not a movie...anyone else have a story of your own?

Twilight Zone nearly all episodes.

Star Trek all episodes. Original series.

Harry Potter.

Soon Inventing Anna memorized.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I particularly liked #2, but all are winners.🙂
I don't know what Turga and BB are talking about...something isn't clicking for me...Burt Reynolds and cucumbers?...I'm clueless.🤷

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
8098_01.04.22.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This reminds me of a story of when I was in Richmond Virginia.
I had travelled to bring my eldest son back from University and we were in a restaurant having an evening meal.
My son ordered a Wheat beer (nope...me neither) and showed his i/d as proof of age.
The waitress asked what i would like. I went for any American beer i could think of. She just stood there looking at me and I tentatively/quizacally asked if she wanted to see proof from me. She said yes so I pulled out my driving licence.
Her reply (to my smile) was "Sorry about that sir...its the law....and you look so damn young. 🤣

This reminds me of a story of when I was in Richmond Virginia.
I had travelled to bring my eldest son back from University and we were in a restaurant having an evening meal.
My son ordered a Wheat beer (nope...me neither) and showed his i/d as proof of age.
The waitress asked what i would like. I went for any American beer i could think of. She just stood there looking at me and I tentatively/quizacally asked if she wanted to see proof from me. She said yes so I pulled out my driving licence.
Her reply (to my smile) was "Sorry about that sir...its the law....and you look so damn young. 🤣
A great story, BB...it gave me a laugh even if it "might" be a true story. 😂 I've been told recently I look in my 50's...now that's a joke, but I'll accept it. Boy oh boy, I never thought I'd like being told that, but my ship has sailed on a lot farther so it sounds good to me, even if the person was just "buttering me up".😁

A great story, BB...it gave me a laugh even if it "might" be a true story. 😂 I've been told recently I look in my 50's...now that's a joke, but I'll accept it. Boy oh boy, I never thought I'd like being told that, but my ship has sailed on a lot farther so it sounds good to me, even if the person was just "buttering me up".😁
It was a true story alright....and she was being perfectly serious (not) 😅

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

€83,-

€83,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

€60,-
Rick, are you and phantom Peg still meandering around in your tiny home?🏕️ I realize this is a personal conversation/question and off piste to any Notsense.

Rick, are you and phantom Peg still meandering around in your tiny home?🏕️ I realize this is a personal conversation/question and off piste to any Notsense.
It's been three and a half weeks of travel and hanging out so far. We are leaving Gulf Shores tomorrow for a couple of days in the Florida panhandle. Then we drive north to park the trailer in my sister's front yard for a bit. Then we head home stopping at yet unknown heres and theres.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Should be a famous quote:

"I spent my money on wine, women and song. I didn't say I wasted it."
Reminds me of the question posed to George Best ( a famous footballer) who had a reputation of enjoying all that the nightlife could offer him, possessing remarkable riches and never short of a beautiful woman on either arm.
When interviewed he was asked "George...where did it all go wrong?".

€83,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back