• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Nuts and Bolts of walking the Camino Portugues

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hello Everyone
Here is my recent blog post giving the basics of walking the Camino Portuguese, including the Coastal route from Porto to Caminha to Valenca.

I hope it is of use.

https://melsonebigadventure.wordpress.com/2016/07/03/caminho-portugues-the-nuts-bolts/

Bye
Mel
Thank you Mel!good job.... Very helpful information.....the portugese way is the next one that I plan to do :) it seems like a really nice way to walk and can't wait to be back on the way!!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for posting, very helpful indeed! Buen Camino, SY

Thank you, excellent information.
One problem with the Coastal route(s) is that they seem to be variable and thus the marking possibly confusing: the Senda Litoral, the da Costa (via Vigo) the da Costa (via Valenca). Open Street Maps (OSM) now has the Costa route via Vigo as the 'official' route and I have produced a gpx file for that route in order not to get lost when I walk it later this month. The Litoral is the longest as it hugs the coast line much more closely. To each his own of course :)

Thank you, excellent information.
One problem with the Coastal route(s) is that they seem to be variable and thus the marking possibly confusing: the Senda Litoral, the da Costa (via Vigo) the da Costa (via Valenca). Open Street Maps (OSM) now has the Costa route via Vigo as the 'official' route and I have produced a gpx file for that route in order not to get lost when I walk it later this month. The Litoral is the longest as it hugs the coast line much more closely. To each his own of course :)

Hmmm - yes, there are a number of different paths on the Coastal route but they are quite separate and therefore not too confusing. I guess it depends how strict you want to be in sticking to one only rather than being a bit flexible. Whichever you choose , you will enjoy some lovely scenery. Bom Caminho..

Hello Everyone
Here is my recent blog post giving the basics of walking the Camino Portuguese, including the Coastal route from Porto to Caminha to Valenca.

I hope it is of use.

https://melsonebigadventure.wordpress.com/2016/07/03/caminho-portugues-the-nuts-bolts/

Bye
Mel
This is great! My son and I are doing the Camino Portuguese in 10 days so this is great information. Will definitely bookmark it :). Just one question - I am still deciding between hiking boots and shoes. Which would you recommend for the Camino Portuguese? I had boots for the Camino Frances but the Portuguese seems a bit easier... Thanks!

Just one question - I am still deciding between hiking boots and shoes. Which would you recommend for the Camino Portuguese? I had boots for the Camino Frances but the Portuguese seems a bit easier... Thanks!

Ah, the great debate of the Portuguese route. You will be walking on a lot of rough cut granite paving stones. Someone on this forum referred to them as blister massage. I met a pilgrim who started from Lisbon in nearly new trail shoes and had holes in her soles by the time she reached Santiago.

If your boots or shoes are worn and you're trying to squeeze one last walk out of them, your feet will likely be very uncomfortable on this Camino.

Ah, the great debate of the Portuguese route. You will be walking on a lot of rough cut granite paving stones. Someone on this forum referred to them as blister massage. I met a pilgrim who started from Lisbon in nearly new trail shoes and had holes in her soles by the time she reached Santiago.

If your boots or shoes are worn and you're trying to squeeze one last walk out of them, your feet will likely be very uncomfortable on this Camino.
Thank you! Will still think about it a bit before I decide. I have really sturdy Mammot leather hiking boots that I wore on the Camino for the first time last year and they're still holding up pretty well, and relatively new Merill hiking shoes

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Very good descriptions Mel! Much useful information. John Brierly was walking the Camino Portuguese in April this year so hopefully he will update his guidebook significantly for next year. The paint war your described outside Porriño was interesting. Rule of thumb - go left if you see this and want the streamside walk or go straight ahead if you want to walk through the city:
upload_2016-7-9_12-47-10.png

This is great! My son and I are doing the Camino Portuguese in 10 days so this is great information. Will definitely bookmark it :). Just one question - I am still deciding between hiking boots and shoes. Which would you recommend for the Camino Portuguese? I had boots for the Camino Frances but the Portuguese seems a bit easier... Thanks!
I have just walked the pw,i would recommend Merrill open walking sandals,take compeed plasters and put Vaseline between toes before setting off each day best regards mike m.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sorry for the late reply - I have been travelling again. I wore boots as I like the feel on my feet. I hope you have been able to pick something suitable.
Mel

Sorry for the late reply - I have been travelling again. I wore boots as I like the feel on my feet. I hope you have been able to pick something suitable.
Mel
Hi Stripey socks,

Sorry to get back to you so late, I recently came back from the Camino Portugues and haven't checked out the forum in a while. Thanks again for the advice. I wore hiking shoes in the end and found them to be quite good, especially in the hot weather. Next year I plan to do the Norte and will soon start wearing in my hiking boots ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Stripey socks,

Sorry to get back to you so late, I recently came back from the Camino Portugues and haven't checked out the forum in a while. Thanks again for the advice. I wore hiking shoes in the end and found them to be quite good, especially in the hot weather. Next year I plan to do the Norte and will soon start wearing in my hiking boots ;)

Welcome home Mary. I hope you had a wonderful walk and it was blister free.
Footwear is such a personal thing - you just need to to go with what works for you and ignore the rest!
I remember being amazed at people walking the Frances in sandals and lightweight sneakers but if it works for them, who am I to argue??

The Norte is also on the top of my camino list but unfortunately not for a couple of years yet. It is so frustrating when all I want to do is to pull the backpack on and the boots and head out the door!
Enjoy it all
Mel

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here. We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started...
Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
Hi, arrived in Porto today starting the coastal camino on Friday! I just found out the hostel I am staying at does not allow pack pick up. Im walking to vila cha 1st day and physically I cannot...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back