• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The oddest thing I have seen while walking the Camino

The Austrian

Time of past OR future Camino
CF Nov 11, 2016
CF Oct 31, 2018
CF Oct 22, 2022
Now that it's been covered what crazy things we have seen people bring for their journey, let's take a stab at that odd head scratching moment while walking.

For me it was on the ascend to O Cebreiro when all of a sudden this Mercedes comes barreling down hill on what clearly was beyond an off road path. The driver stopped and asked me (in broken English) if he can get all the way down to some main road this way. I explained to him that further down the path there would be steps he'd have to get over and I don't think it being possible. He just shrugged and went anyway.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNjamh8js0p/?taken-by=austriannomad

Honorary mention to the road side chop shop.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/camino-photos/roadside-chop-shop.6131/

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Outside Touginhó, I came across one of those road signs indicating: "roundabout ahead."

What's odd about that? Well, it was in the middle of a field. Surrounded by cows. Not a road in sight.

Photograph below.

Things thar make you go 'Hmm'.JPG

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Holy cow. From where does it get its electricity? Or does it just sit there as a decoration, taunting the thirsty?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Holy cow. From where does it get its electricity? Or does it just sit there as a decoration, taunting the thirsty?
There was a wire leading down to a building a couple of hundred yards away and almost not visible from the machine. It was indeed operational, and my wife and I shared an ice-cold Coke while eating an apple at a picnic table near the machine.

Attachments

• IMG_20130918_102430_579.jpg
    IMG_20130918_102430_579.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 53
I think one of the oddest things was the road of abandoned shoes, on the Portuguese (Coastal) near Esposende. For about a kilometre along a dirt road, there were hundreds of old shoes, some partially buried, some arranged along the side of the road, some flattened in the middle of the road. At first it was just odd, then it became quite creepy. There were no buildings nearby - I was very happy to leave this strange stretch of the walk that day, behind.

Attachments

• IMG_5512.jpg
    IMG_5512.jpg
    591.8 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_5513.jpg
    IMG_5513.jpg
    529.4 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_5521.jpg
    IMG_5521.jpg
    442.9 KB · Views: 113
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Stumbling across an old Hollywood set in the middle of nowhere between Santo Domingo de Silos and Covarrubias (on an alternative route, rather than the Ebro/Ruta de Lana). It was surreal.
If you're a fan of old Hollywood Westerns, this is quite the place (I'm not, but it was still quite the place).

Attachments

• Sad Hill.PNG
    Sad Hill.PNG
    692.2 KB · Views: 118
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
@Viranani; the "Sad Hill Cemetery". Marvellous :D
@Kanga, you could have knocked me over with a feather. I stood there for a while, just gaping--and laughing. Of all unexpected things! I just posted a pic on @alexwalker 's thread of what I had just been walking through. It was truly a journey from the sublime to the ridiculous.

Last year, early one morning on a muddy track south of Aire sur l'Adour, I was overtaken by a man on a unicycle. I did manage to get a quick photo before he disappeared into the distance (and down a very steep hill with a stream at the bottom.) I caught up with him the following day. He was French, and intent on unicycling all the way to Santiago.

Attachments

• Chemin 2016 043.JPG
    Chemin 2016 043.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 43
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Outside Touginhó, I came across one of those road signs indicating: "roundabout ahead."

The sign may have been used to indicate a ' SWER ' line on the pole it is attached to . Single Wire , Earth Return electrical systems are used widely in rural areas and are very efficient, they use the earth itself to transmit the neutral phase of the power . There are some hazards associated with digging and other practices immediately next to the pole though .
The round about sign does well to graphically explain the course of the current involved .
Males are encouraged not to relieve themselves at such a site :eek:

Yes, I've also encountered a unicyclist, on the way out of Estella. He'd "cycled" a long way, I think all the way from northern Europe somewhere. He was a very fit young man.

.Unicycle.jpg

Stumbling across an old Hollywood set in the middle of nowhere between Santo Domingo de Silos and Covarrubias (on an alternative route, rather than the Ebro/Ruta de Lana). It was surreal.
If you're a fan of old Hollywood Westerns, this is quite the place (I'm not, but it was still quite the place).

For an update re the volunteer restoration of this, the Sad Hill cemetery, see this Guardian article.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A lot of the movie The Good the Bad and the Ugly was filmed around Burgos. My favourite film.

For an update re the volunteer restoration of this, the Sad Hill cemetery, see this Guardian article.
A lot of the movie The Good the Bad and the Ugly was filmed around Burgos. My favourite film.
I stumbled upon it totally by accident. Then stood there shaking my head, both bemused and blown away by the weirdness if it. I was a bit too young to be into the movie when it came out, and never much liked westerns anyway. But I always really liked the title. ;)
Thank you, Margaret, for that link!

OK, Frances peregrinos and peregrinas. You want a change of scenery and some peace and quiet? Maybe you're a fan of spaghetti westerns? Get yourself up to Santo Domingo de Silos (There's a bus every afternoon and places to stay, even an albergue); enjoy the quiet, the very special vespers and matins at the monastery, and the next morning take yourself on foot on the GR82 to Covarrubias (an alternative to the Ruta de Lana, which goes another way). Along the way there it is! Sad Hill Cemetery, in all its glory. After Covarrubias, it's 2 1/2 or 3 day amble back to Burgos on the gorgeous Camino San Olav, or 2 on the the Lana.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back