• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The official credentials are really bad

BeatriceKarjalainen

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Finished: See post signature.
Doing: C. Levante
I got the new credential for this camino and it is not any good at all.
  • The paper is so glossy that it takes for ever for stamps to dry. Hospitalieros closes the credential and then you have a mirror copy on the next page as well. This made the hospitaliero in Castro Uridalis to think that I had one more page of stamps than I had and jumped one page ahead.
  • The ink in the printed maps doesn't like heat or (wearing the credential close to the body) and rub of onto the next page. It looks awful and took away one page for stamps. The same goes for the info text making my text and the place for the final stamp a grey mass of rubbed of ink.
  • Very few places for stamps, only 55 and a lot of stamps covers at last 2 squares.
  • Why squares at all, my first credential had blank pages so much better.
So if you are going to use the new credential make sure you have a piece of paper to put on the new stamp so if doesn't ruin the next page and store the credential where the pages aren't pressed against each other preferable away from heat as well.

Tried to upload some pics but it didn't work from the phone.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for this info. From the standpoint of a non-user, they looked very nice, so much nicer than the flimsy paper ones they replaced. But the proof is in the pudding , And it's too bad that the cathedral didn't "test drive" them before beginning mass production.

Before reading your comment, Beatrice, I had planned to use the Spanish one next year. But I guess I will stick with APOC's tried and true credential.

Thanks for the heads up. Buen Camino, Laurie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
  • The paper is so glossy that it takes for ever for stamps to dry.

Thanks Beatrice for the info. I had purchased the new credential for my camino later this month but will revert back to the Irish one now.

Hope you are enjoying your walk.

Take care, be safe.

S.

Thats good to know... I'll try and find the old version of credential for the next camino in november...

Thanks for the "heads up." I purchased the new version and didn't notice how smooth and nonabsorbent the paper seems to be, compared to the other passports. A perfect example of being unable to judge a book by its cover.

I noticed that Ivar is still offering the older version for sale (Until stock runs out) from his store.

It seems reasonable to presume that when or if these newer ones are reprinted that it will be on a more suitable paper.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Off to buy a number of the old ones at tbe local shop. Thank you for the heads up!

Thanks Beatrice for the info. I had purchased the new credential for my camino later this month but will revert back to the Irish one now.

Hope you are enjoying your walk.

Take care, be safe.

S.
Buen camino, amigo.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

• The paper is so glossy that it takes for ever for stamps to dry. Hospitalieros closes the credential and then you have a mirror copy on the next page as well. This made the hospitaliero in Castro Uridalis to think that I had one more page of stamps than I had and jumped one page ahead.
  • The ink in the printed maps doesn't like heat or (wearing the credential close to the body) and rub of onto the next page. It looks awful and took away one page for stamps. The same goes for the info text making my text and the place for the final stamp a grey mass of rubbed of ink.
  • Very few places for stamps, only 55 and a lot of stamps covers at last 2 squares.
So if you are going to use the new credential make sure you have a piece of paper to put on the new stamp so if doesn't ruin the next page and store the credential where the pages aren't pressed against each other preferable away from heat as well.

Really, that is what you are concerned about? It is a pilgrimage, not a stamp collection ...
Buen Camino, SY

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It's true about the bleeding ink but, that's an easy fix! As mentioned above you can use a napkin to dab it or in my case, I usually sat down to have a break & something to eat and drink..kept it open to air-dry. I still like it. I bought one on Camino after seeing someone else's. It is much more sturdy, prettier (imho) and doesn't get beat up like the original. So, I used my original papery one for Portugal and the new one, when I got it in España!

Really, that is what you are concerned about? It is a pilgrimage, not a stamp collection ...
Buen Camino, SY

But it's an important stamp collection isn't it? If the stamps are unclear or smeared, making it hard to read the dates or place names, might this possibly impact the pilgrim's office being able to properly check that the requirement for stamps has been met?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Very few places for stamps, only 55 and a lot of stamps covers at last 2 squares.
I was involved in the design of the new CSJ pilgrim record last year, which we now sell to non-members. We tried to make the stamping squares big enough to fit most of the usual stamps. So the record is larger than the standard Spanish version and the same size as the French one. But without any text on the stamping area, so you can usually fit 8 to the page. The Spanish version has a grid indicating where each stamp should go, the French one has no marks. We went half-way and put little guide marks rather than lines, so as to minimise interference with the stamp designs. 56 'boxes' seemed a good compromise, given it is to be used on caminos of all lengths. We tested several types of paper and eventually went with the one that dried quickly but best absorbed the ink without losing the detail (i.e not like blotting paper). Again, quite similar to the French variety.
We looked at the styles of various other Confraternities' records, including such treasures as the Irish booklet and the Japanese one (which has gorgeous cheeky artwork, sneaking in pics of modern-day pilgrim accoutrements in a traditional style, but it's quite small and shiny). We commissioned a designer to make some simple maps (that we've now shared with the Canadians) and we are quite pleased with the results - or I was until this summer when I saw the wonderful classical Italian pilgrim association record which looks like they commissioned Michelangelo!
We've issued more than 3000 of our new records since last summer.
Cheers, tom

Buen Camino, SY

Well I'm on the Norte for 24 days and the credential will just have space enough to get me to Santiago with more or less just albergue stamps and one or 2 churches and 2 per day at the end. I don't even collect stamps on the way as many others do.

One page is unreadable as the text has rubbed of from the other side. Didn't even see that it was squares there at first and one page was jumped over by a hospitaliero as he thought it was stamped already. 2 stamps per day on the last 100 will leave me with just a few squares left. Those who uses more days and/or like a memory of visited places will not have space enough.

It's true about the bleeding ink but, that's an easy fix! As mentioned above you can use a napkin to dab it or in my case, I usually sat down to have a break & something to eat and drink..kept it open to air-dry. I still like it. I bought one on Camino after seeing someone else's. It is much more sturdy, prettier (imho) and doesn't get beat up like the original. So, I used my original papery one for Portugal and the new one, when I got it in España!
If I have control over the credential I put a napkin in there or let it air dry but hospitalieros are are fast sometimes :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I happen to be serving as a volunteer at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago through 19 August. For what is worth, I will bring this to management's attention.

I hope this helps.
I've been working in the Oficina with t2andreo as a volunteer. I was one of the people with a blue Tshirt who examined credenciales and wrote out compostelas (these are free and are for people with spiritual or religious motivations), certificadas del bienvenido (these are free and for people who have cultural, sporting or touristic motivations) and certificadas de distancia which are 3 euros and anyone can get if they have either of the above mentioned certificates. I did note that there was some mirror images of some sellos. These were faint and it was clear that the ink hadn't dried well. I spotted this on a few but not all of the credenciales that were presented to me. If you are concerned about this, use a piece of tissue or toilet paper as a blotter. If you are travelling a long distance and fill up one credencial, just get another. These are normally available (in Spain at least) from cathedrals or state albergues. I've had people arrive from Le Puy in France or even further away with more than one credencial (in a few cases three). What we look at in the Oficina are the LAST 100km for foot, horse or wheelchair peregrinos and the last 200km for bicigrinos. You can start from Warsaw (and I use this as an example as I met someone last year who did this) but at the Oficina we are interested in the last 100 or 200km (see above) and these are the sellos we look for. If they are blurred or smeared, we still know what they are. They come in a particular order if you are walking or cycling so you would NEVER have a Melide stamp before a Sarria stamp. If you want the distance certificate, we look at all of your credenciales and try to establish if you have done the whole route or missed out bits. I have had people who have started in Le Puy, walked to St Jean Pied de Port and then took a bus to Leon and walked from there. For the distance certificate, you would only get it from Leon. I have had people protest this, but the distance certificate is not about where you started from and then took a bus, it is where you have walked, riden a horse, used a wheelchair or cycled from continuously.

There are issues with the new credencial. For example, it does not specify wheel chair users, even though everyone at the desk at the office knows what the rule is. There are issues with the wording about 'christian' pilgrimage (thread now closed as the Dean of the Cathedral pointed out the phrase afterwards would include everyone else). I've had very positive comments saying that the new credencial is 'more robust' and 'more compact'. A KEY motivation in issuing the new credencial is a standard statement about what conditions a peregrino needs to achieve to get a compostela or a certificado de bienvenida. Agreements have been set up with the Fraternities of St James in various countries so that this information is clear on these documents. So, the American credencial, the Italian one, the British one, the Canadian one, the very lovely Irish one and the AMAZING Japanese one are all OK. They all make it clear that you have to walk THE LAST 1ookm or cycle THE LAST 200km of a recognised route. I mention this because people have shown up expecting a Compostela for having walked 100km, but it was a selection of walks that added up to 100km. I have had people who have walked from Le Puy to St Jean which is 30 days and a LONG walk but have taken a bus to Santiago and expected a Compostela. This was not granted because they did not meet the rule (see above).

There are BOXES of the new credenciales and they will be issued until they are used up. Issues about the type of paper and comments about wheelchair users will be taken on board, but don't expect to see any changes until the boxes of what has been printed is used up.

As one of the previous commenters mentioned: this is pilgrimage. It is not about collecting stamps or getting a certificate. I had one French man arrive who said that he didn't want a Compostela, all he wanted was a stamp on his wooden walking pole and he had stamps from along the route. I did this and then was shut down by full time staff saying that we could only stamp credenciales or Bibles. Their intervention was too late and he was heading to Finisterre. He gave me a lovely smile and then headed off to the End of the Earth.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Okay folks, here's the deal. I am at the Pilgrim Office at this moment. I just showed, AND DEMONSTRATED using inked stamps, exactly the issue that the OP mentioned. Thank you Beatrice!

I also obtained an old St. Jean Pied de Port credential from the "lost & found" box to demonstrate the difference, again to management. Also, I used my cargo pockets, I am wearing my Camino pants, to demonstrate how large a credential can be and still easily fit in a side cargo pocket.

We got lucky in a way. Evidently, the Archbishop is coming by in an hour or so. So, it is all-hands-on-deck, and all the managers and supervisors are present, for "the boss."

I had someone translate my commentary and remarks from this thread. All present agreed that the credential should be changed, in future. Also, all agreed with me that a paper, closer in porosity to the St. Jean Pied de Port credential would be better. Finally, I made the suggestion in passing that they might also consider what credential size is best for obtaining stamps also my the way.

However, and as my friend Nicole pointed out above, in her customary concise manner (insert mild guffaw here fish girl), the Pilgrims Office must first consume the estimated nearly 60,000 credentials in stock. I did ask that question... I suppose they got a really good volume discount...

As a result, they did tell me that they would "definitely change the paper" for the next printing run.

So, that is that my friends. I did what I set out to do. I happened to get lucky in that all the secular AND religious Pilgrim Office hierarchy just happened to be present.

Never passing up such a audience, I made the case reasonably and with a demonstration. Hopefully, this will make a difference. Then again, who can say...

I hope this helps, perhaps for next year...

Thank you perigrino_tom and t2Andreo for all this hard work. It is obvious the amount of effort and thought that went into credential design. AND that everyone is listening to the feedback
And personally, that first credential with all its stamps is not the goal, but it a lovely visual marker of time and villages. And looking at some of the stamps, the regions think highly enough of them to put thought and effort into interesting designs. They care, we care, so it is worth the effort to preserve all this effort.
IMHO
Nanc

which credential are you referring to? is it the one issued by the office in st jean or another? please advise.........
I may go with an English/Irish credential

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
which credential are you referring to? is it the one issued by the office in st jean or another? please advise.........
I may go with an English/Irish credential

The Credencial which has been discussed in the above posts is that which was recently and newly issued within Spain. The Credential which is currently offered in Saint Jean Pied de Port is a French issue and not printed on the same problematic glossy paper stock.
...Thus in the truest sense vive la différence!

I've been working in the Oficina with t2andreo as a volunteer. I was one of the people with a blue Tshirt who examined credenciales and wrote out compostelas (these are free and are for people with spiritual or religious motivations), certificadas del bienvenido (these are free and for people who have cultural, sporting or touristic motivations) and certificadas de distancia which are 3 euros and anyone can get if they have either of the above mentioned certificates. I did note that there was some mirror images of some sellos. These were faint and it was clear that the ink hadn't dried well. I spotted this on a few but not all of the credenciales that were presented to me. If you are concerned about this, use a piece of tissue or toilet paper as a blotter. If you are travelling a long distance and fill up one credencial, just get another. These are normally available (in Spain at least) from cathedrals or state albergues. I've had people arrive from Le Puy in France or even further away with more than one credencial (in a few cases three). What we look at in the Oficina are the LAST 100km for foot, horse or wheelchair peregrinos and the last 200km for bicigrinos. You can start from Warsaw (and I use this as an example as I met someone last year who did this) but at the Oficina we are interested in the last 100 or 200km (see above) and these are the sellos we look for. If they are blurred or smeared, we still know what they are. They come in a particular order if you are walking or cycling so you would NEVER have a Melide stamp before a Sarria stamp. If you want the distance certificate, we look at all of your credenciales and try to establish if you have done the whole route or missed out bits. I have had people who have started in Le Puy, walked to St Jean Pied de Port and then took a bus to Leon and walked from there. For the distance certificate, you would only get it from Leon. I have had people protest this, but the distance certificate is not about where you started from and then took a bus, it is where you have walked, riden a horse, used a wheelchair or cycled from continuously.

There are issues with the new credencial. For example, it does not specify wheel chair users, even though everyone at the desk at the office knows what the rule is. There are issues with the wording about 'christian' pilgrimage (thread now closed as the Dean of the Cathedral pointed out the phrase afterwards would include everyone else). I've had very positive comments saying that the new credencial is 'more robust' and 'more compact'. A KEY motivation in issuing the new credencial is a standard statement about what conditions a peregrino needs to achieve to get a compostela or a certificado de bienvenida. Agreements have been set up with the Fraternities of St James in various countries so that this information is clear on these documents. So, the American credencial, the Italian one, the British one, the Canadian one, the very lovely Irish one and the AMAZING Japanese one are all OK. They all make it clear that you have to walk THE LAST 1ookm or cycle THE LAST 200km of a recognised route. I mention this because people have shown up expecting a Compostela for having walked 100km, but it was a selection of walks that added up to 100km. I have had people who have walked from Le Puy to St Jean which is 30 days and a LONG walk but have taken a bus to Santiago and expected a Compostela. This was not granted because they did not meet the rule (see above).

There are BOXES of the new credenciales and they will be issued until they are used up. Issues about the type of paper and comments about wheelchair users will be taken on board, but don't expect to see any changes until the boxes of what has been printed is used up.

As one of the previous commenters mentioned: this is pilgrimage. It is not about collecting stamps or getting a certificate. I had one French man arrive who said that he didn't want a Compostela, all he wanted was a stamp on his wooden walking pole and he had stamps from along the route. I did this and then was shut down by full time staff saying that we could only stamp credenciales or Bibles. Their intervention was too late and he was heading to Finisterre. He gave me a lovely smile and then headed off to the End of the Earth.
Thanks for your long reply. I did have a napkin in my credential but it was not always added back by the hospitalieros. I know I can get another one I just pointed out that I liked the one from SJPdP better and made a suggestion. I also know the rules for a Compostela, have 5 of them at home. I have had some problems in the Peregrino office once or twice as I walk fast and long distances and therefore don't have many stamps at all in my credential. My last 100 is usually 2-3 days depending on route.

A question how do you do with pilgrims starting in Baamonde, if they take the variant to O Pino instead or Arzúa? That will not give them 100 km. Do you require a stamp in Arzúa?

Okay folks, here's the deal. I am at the Pilgrim Office at this moment. I just showed, AND DEMONSTRATED using inked stamps, exactly the issue that the OP mentioned. Thank you Beatrice!

I also obtained an old St. Jean Pied de Port credential from the "lost & found" box to demonstrate the difference, again to management. Also, I used my cargo pockets, I am wearing my Camino pants, to demonstrate how large a credential can be and still easily fit in a side cargo pocket.

We got lucky in a way. Evidently, the Archbishop is coming by in an hour or so. So, it is all-hands-on-deck, and all the managers and supervisors are present, for "the boss."

I had someone translate my commentary and remarks from this thread. All present agreed that the credential should be changed, in future. Also, all agreed with me that a paper, closer in porosity to the St. Jean Pied de Port credential would be better. Finally, I made the suggestion in passing that they might also consider what credential size is best for obtaining stamps also my the way.

However, and as my friend Nicole pointed out above, in her customary concise manner (insert mild guffaw here fish girl), the Pilgrims Office must first consume the estimated nearly 60,000 credentials in stock. I did ask that question... I suppose they got a really good volume discount...

As a result, they did tell me that they would "definitely change the paper" for the next printing run.

So, that is that my friends. I did what I set out to do. I happened to get lucky in that all the secular AND religious Pilgrim Office hierarchy just happened to be present.

Never passing up such a audience, I made the case reasonably and with a demonstration. Hopefully, this will make a difference. Then again, who can say...

Thank you for doing this. I understand that they want to use the printed credential anything else would be a waste of resources.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks to Beatrice and t2andreo for bringing this up and also bringing it to the attention of folks high up in the system so they can see it for themselves. For me, and a lot of other repeat walkers, the credencial is a more important document than the compostela because it has the stamps and dates to trigger memory, and we even framed our credencials from our honeymoon. Sadly we had to take them down because some of the ink was starting to fade. To me the credencial is not just a ticket to an albergue bed or a receipt of trials endured to show off to get the compostela, it is a valuable item in itself and I would have been disappointed if it got unnecessary smudges or the print stuck or mirrored if it got hot or damp. I have got a few of the previous official ones to use in future, and will probably use the credencial from the Norwegian pilgrim assoc afterwards.

BTW I'll be in the office tomorrow sometime before noon I think. If you are there I can show how mine looks like now.

Beatrice: Sorry if I missed you. They summoned us to the noon Pilgrim Mass to receive special recognition as volunteers. It was all very nice. You can PM me if are are around for a few days.

Thanks for all the likes. Time will tell if this credential revision has "legs..."

Happy to help if I can.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Beatrice: Oops, just saw the time of your post. If by tomorrow you meant Thursday, I arrive at the office about 10:00. I look forward to meeting you there, then.

Thanks for this info. From the standpoint of a non-user, they looked very nice, so much nicer than the flimsy paper ones they replaced. But the proof is in the pudding , And it's too bad that the cathedral didn't "test drive" them before beginning mass production.

Before reading your comment, Beatrice, I had planned to use the Spanish one next year. But I guess I will stick with APOC's tried and true credential.

Thanks for the heads up. Buen Camino, Laurie
The Credencial which has been discussed in the above posts is that which was recently and newly issued within Spain. The Credential which is currently offered in Saint Jean Pied de Port is a French issue and not printed on the same problematic glossy paper stock.
...Thus in the truest sense vive la différence!
thank you mspath for your rapid if not reassuring response

mark

We have 3 different credentials, each with a few extra pages, but none with enough for another camino. Is there any problem with printing off extra pages and attaching to the old credential, accordion-style ?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Nope! People add their own pages often. The key to acceptance is continuity and context. So, adding continuation pages, in chronological sequence, and following the same Camino "line of march" from village to village, flows logically.

What you want to avoid is a Pilgrim Office staffer getting confused, then either discounting or disallowing some of your stamps.

On my second Camino Frances, in 2014, I met a fellow who had the stingy APOC issued credential, but he had Peregrino offices along the route paste additional pages into his credential.

By the time he arrived at Santiago, he had three or four "expansion" pages glued or taped into the original document. The result looked like a complicated origami sculpture.

He had several hundred sellos, from every conceivable source along the Canino. I recall he was doing this one-man "scavenger hunt" as a special project for his spouses' grade school class.

So, yes, you can modify an original credential to add more capacity, as long as you preserve the overall look and functionality of the original credential.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for this info. Before reading your comment, Beatrice, I had planned to use the Spanish one next year. But I guess I will stick with APOC's tried and true credential. Thanks for the heads up. Buen Camino, Laurie
Hola Laurie - can non-Americans get the APOC credential??
Ivar - have there been any comments from the people who devised/printed these credentials??
Cheers

A really great post on a subject of reasonable importance. Great that those working in the Pilgrim Office and other official places have taken up the cause. Hopefully the 60,000 in stock will be used up by all the Spanish pilgrims. For me I think I will use the spare one that Ivar sent me or get one in St Jean. Cheers

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Thanks for speaking truth to power, "t". Like so many others, I've come to value my credentials with their stamps as much or even more than I value my "Compostelas". I will definitely be ordering a couple of credentials from the APOC for my camino next year. With my luck, I would get the last of the 60,000.

Ivar - have there been any comments from the people who devised/printed these credentials??
Cheers

Good question, Saint Mike, but I don't know the answer. I suppose you could write and ask -- here's the info page: http://www.americanpilgrims.org/credential-request

I know that you don't have to be a member of APOC to get a credential from them and that there is no charge (though donations are gratefully accepted). But what I don't know is whether they send them out of the country. Buen camino, Laurie

Thank you for the info Beatrice. We are starting our next Camino in 3 weeks and we have the new credential. I think we will look for an old one before we start.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Cheers
See comments from @t2andreo above. He demonstrated the problem for the responsible persons. There will be better paper in upcoming editions.

While I'm at it I can also complain about the tubes. The once with facy blue (for men) and red (for women) wrapping that is tucked into the tube is Compostela destroyers. The tucked in paper creates a stop for the Compostela and makes it really hard to get out. The old tubes without fancy wrapping was much better. Don't they test run things? And why this gender thing?

I was wrong about the gender thing. For the first time I saw women with blue tubes today :)

The compostela will come out of the coloured tubes easily if you tighten it up gently at the centre with your finger - so making it narrower. :) We did that with the plain ones too so hadn't realised that the new ones could be a problem.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The compostela will come out of the coloured tubes easily if you tighten it up gently at the centre with your finger - so making it narrower. :) We did that with the plain ones too so hadn't realised that the new ones could be a problem.
Well I tried all tricks but with the distance certificate on the inside if the compostela it was hard to tighten it to pull it out safetely with that paper coming in from the outside of the tube. I had to remove the wrapping paper from the inside as the compostela got stucked. Had no such problems with the old tube. Now I have rolled my Compostela with the distance certificate on the outside instead.

Do you think it would help to bring a tiny piece of parchment paper to keep slipped between the active page?

Something that doesn't smear the ink so the best would be somewhat absorbent paper. I found that the otherwise quite useless bar napkins were useful for this.

/Bea

Do you think it would help to bring a tiny piece of parchment paper to keep slipped between the active page?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Th
Thanks for speaking truth to power, "t". Like so many others, I've come to value my credentials with their stamps as much or even more than I value my "Compostelas". I will definitely be ordering a couple of credentials from the APOC for my camino next year. With my luck, I would get the last of the 60,000.

The APOC credentials have a good quality paper for accepting sellos. My only complaint regarding the APOC credential is that it needs about 4 more pages for sellos. Some Camino routes engender collecting additional stamps, both to properly document progress, and for collecting, generally. The APOC credential is a tad stingy in this regard, IMHO.

The issue in this thread is the non-porosity of the high-quality, glossy paper used for the credential issued by the Cathedral, including the Pilgrim's Office. This credential is also provided, in bulk, to other Camino groups across Spain. I have seen cases of them being mailed to one Spanish group or another in the nearly a month I have been here.

The key to inproving this ubiquitous credential is using up the extant inventory.

In fact, I was up in the attic of the Pilgrim Office this morning. I lugged 14 cases of tubos down two flights of stairs, as well as rotating the tube stock to use up about 15 cases of older tubos that were discovered during the move from old office to new.

While I was there, I took note of the credential stock. Yup! They might just use them up this calendar year. We will see...

While I was up in the attic of the "new" building, I did restock a lot of the inventory to face labels forward, etc. so they could accurately count what is there.

One can only do so much...and on my own, as manual labor does not seem to be in anyone's remit...oh well. Then there is the private joke I have with management here. They know that I will gladly do anything asked if me, provided it is legal. It is said that for extra/legal issues...we can talk...;)

I hope this helps.

See comments from @t2andreo above. He demonstrated the problem for the responsible persons. There will be better paper in upcoming editions.

While I'm at it I can also complain about the tubes. The once with facy blue (for men) and red (for women) wrapping that is tucked into the tube is Compostela destroyers. The tucked in paper creates a stop for the Compostela and makes it really hard to get out. The old tubes without fancy wrapping was much better. Don't they test run things? And why this gender thing?

REPLY: I happened to bump into Beatrice on Rua do Vilar this morning and we discussed the tube thing. Here is the gist of the conversation:

During the Spring 2016 move from Rua do Vilar to Rua das Carretas, several dozen cases (110 each) of the old style, red tubos were "found" and relocated. Somehow, they defied being used, in favor of the improved newer style.

In the meantime, the design was changed to eliminate the crimped outer paper that Beatrice complains about. So, all the newly procured red and blue tubos have razor cut edges, with no paper "tucked" into the tube. This resolves the problem Beateice mentioned.

As is usually the case in a "house-move" you find stuff you forgot you had stored away. That is what happened here.

So, and as I mentioned above, I was in the attic earlier today, rotating inventory. One of the "smarter" things I did (IMHO) is to move the old-style, crimped, red tubos to the front of the usage queue.

In fact, my plan is to have all of them consumed before my last shift this Friday. Then they will have ONLY the new, improved tubo design. That will handle any tendency to ignore old stock.

Plus, it will be mostly the majority Spanish, "Sarria strolling club" who consume these older tubos. Gee, I love it when a plan comes together...

So, until the older red tubos are all gone, let's call it by the end of August, simply ask for a blue tubo. ALL the blue tubes are of the newer design, without the crimped-in paper.

As for the gender thing that Beatrice mentions, it comes as a surprise to me. There is no policy or procedure that "assigns" a color to a gender. PLEASE, let's not even go there... Having additional colors would be untenable. In fact, they are discussing standardizing back to a single tubo color in future.

What I CAN tell you, based on direct observation, is that men, when offered a choice of color, choose blue by a 3:1 ratio. Overall, we use 2 blue tubos for every 1 red tubo. Just sayin...

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
The key to inproving this ubiquitous credential is using up the extant inventory.

In fact, I was up in the attic of the Pilgrim Office this morning. I lugged 14 cases of tubos down two flights of stairs, as well as rotating the tube stock to use up about 15 cases of older tubos that were discovered during the move from old office to new.

While I was there, I took note of the credential stock. Yup! They might just use them up this calendar year. We will see...

While I was up in the attic of the "new" building, I did restock a lot of the inventory to face labels forward, etc. so they could accurately count what is there.

One can only do so much...and on my own, as manual labor does not seem to be in anyone's remit...oh well. Then there is the private joke I have with management here. They know that I will gladly do anything asked if me, provided it is legal. It is said that for extra/legal issues...we can talk...;)

"t", you sound like a man after my own heart. A couple of years ago I became involved in our church's food pantry. The first thing I did, after I became familiar with the operation, was to organize our little warehouse and sort out the food in all of those miscellaneous boxes and bags in the back.

I loved it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Lol, that story reminds me of a Camino many eons back when I stayed in a huge parish center in South France. The priest showed me proudly the kitchen and pantry "Free use for pilgrims!" and then added timidly "And if you could go through the storage and sort out the things that are passed their sell-by/safe to eat date I would really appreciate it..." ;-) I had a glorious afternoon/evening sorting out the pantry and making the place a bit safer food-poisoning-wise ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Lol, that story reminds me of a Camino many eons back when I stayed in a huge parish center in South France. The priest showed me proudly the kitchen and pantry "Free use for pilgrims!" and then added timidly "And if you could go through the storage and sort out the things that are passed their sell-by/safe to eat date I would really appreciate it..." ;-) I had a glorious afternoon/evening sorting out the pantry and making the place a bit safer food-poisoning-wise ;-) Buen Camino, SY
I did the same in one albergue on Primitivo there was a lot of old food. And I think there were 10 bags of salt and 10 half garlic.

t2andreo - thanks so much for putting in the effort! The fact that people like yourself, volunteers, go out of their way and are so thorough in their work is a big part of the Camino spirit - an inner warmth many people who walk the Camino experience. I was more fascinated with the lengths you went to than the answer to the "issue" itself. Cheers :)

Thank you all for the kudos. But, this is just "what I do." It is my way of giving back, and always trying to leave any situation better than when I first encountered it.

I encourage anyone with the time to volunteer to consider doing so. The only requirement is having done a Camino, any Camino of any qualifying length. Of course, some Spanish speaking capability helps.

However, I served with a wonderful woman from Augusta, GA a few weeks ago. She was doing Compostelas without even a basic knowledge of Spanish. She simply made sure she sat between two Spanish speakers who spoke a little English. Somehow, it all worked out.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Okay folks...here is my tubo status report. Drum roll please....

"As of the end of my volunteer shift at 15:00 CET Thursday (today) ALL old-style, crimped paper-edged red tubos are sold out in the main office. ONLY about 150 old-style tubos remain to be sold in the group office. The Sarria Strolling Set will likely consume those by COB this evening, but certainly by the end of my last shift tomorrow."

Mission Accomplished!

This was undertaken in part due to prodding by Beatrice (see the thread above). My personal goal each year when I home to work as a volunteer is to leave things better than I found them. I think this side-effort met that goal. Thank you Beatrice!

I hope this helps...

Okay folks...here is my tubo status report. Drum roll please....

"As of the end of my volunteer shift at 15:00 CET Thursday (today) ALL old-style, crimped paper-edged red tubos are sold out in the main office. ONLY about 150 old-style tubos remain to be sold in the group office. The Sarria Strolling Set will likely consume those by COB this evening, but certainly by the end of my last shift tomorrow."

Mission Accomplished!

This was undertaken in part due to prodding by Beatrice (see the thread above). My personal goal each year when I home to work as a volunteer is to leave things better than I found them. I think this side-effort met that goal. Thank you Beatrice!

I hope this helps...
A true hero!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Aw shucks mam...just doing my duty, as best I can.

I finished my last shift on the Pilgrim Office at 15:00 today. I am currently enjoyed the first of several well-deserved pintas of Franzikaner Weissbier. As projected, tomorrow will find the Oficina del Peregrinos with only new design tubos with the razor-cut edge.

On a related note, Don Segundo, the Dean of the Cathedral for ALL things Peregrino related (his signature is on every Compostela and certificate issued) came by this afternoon. He called management into a brief, closed door meeting.

Within one-hour of that meeting, ALL souvenirs previously available for purchase were removed from the Pilgrim Office. Period, gone!

The only items still available for a "donativo" are conchas, Certificates of Distance, Votive Candles, and Tubos.

I asked "why," and was simply told that Don Segundo did not like it. That was enough a reason for staff to comply.

A year ago, when the new office was in the planning stages, I pleaded with the priest who was and remains the Chaplain to the ACC volunteer organization, to clearly separate the selling of non-related items from where Compostelas were issued. At that time I offered the opinion that, IMHO, it cheapened the process. I used the metaphor of Christ upsetting the vendor and money changer tables in the courtyard of the Great Temple in Jerusalem as my example.

I will NOT take credit for this. Even though this is Spain, where all change is glacial, I genuinely suspect the rationale behind the boss' notion and abrupt change is easier to adduce.

My assessment is that someone in the local business community likely got to him and told him that souvenir sales were off by "x" percent city-wide, and that Pilgrim Office sales of souvenir items were the proximate cause. That IS how things work in this "neck of the woods..."

I cannot prove that supposition. However based on my knowledge of Spanish society, the economy, and local politics, it strikes me as a far more reasonable cause of the abrupt change, than for Don Segundo to have had a spontaneous change of mind.

Still and all, not having the added complexities of selling stuff not directly related to being a pilgrim DOES streamline the process of issuing Compostelas and Distance Certificates. This sudden and abrupt policy change should improve throughput and attenuate wait times for pilgrims. We shall see...

I hope this helps...

Aw shucks mam...just doing my duty, as best I can.

I finished my last shift on the Pilgrim Office at 15:00 today. I am currently enjoyed the first of several well-deserved pintas of Franzikaner Weissbier. As projected, tomorrow will find the Oficina del Peregrinos with only new design tubos with the razor-cut edge.

On a related note, Don Segundo, the Dean of the Cathedral for ALL things Peregrino related (his signature is on every Compostela and certificate issued) came by this afternoon. He called management into a brief, closed door meeting.

Within one-hour of that meeting, ALL souvenirs previously available for purchase were removed from the Pilgrim Office. Period, gone!

The only items still available for a "donativo" are conchas, Certificates of Distance, Votive Candles, and Tubos.

I asked "why," and was simply told that Don Segundo did not like it. That was enough a reason for staff to comply.

A year ago, when the new office was in the planning stages, I pleaded with the priest who was and remains the Chaplain to the ACC volunteer organization, to clearly separate the selling of non-related items from where Compostelas were issued. At that time I offered the opinion that, IMHO, it cheapened the process. I used the metaphor of Christ upsetting the vendor and money changer tables in the courtyard of the Great Temple in Jerusalem as my example.

I will NOT take credit for this. Even though this is Spain, where all change is glacial, I genuinely suspect the rationale behind the boss' notion and abrupt change is easier to adduce.

My assessment is that someone in the local business community likely got to him and told him that souvenir sales were off by "x" percent city-wide, and that Pilgrim Office sales of souvenir items were the proximate cause. That IS how things work in this "neck of the woods..."

I cannot prove that supposition. However based on my knowledge of Spanish society, the economy, and local politics, it strikes me as a far more reasonable cause of the abrupt change, than for Don Segundo to have had a spontaneous change of mind.

Still and all, not having the added complexities of selling stuff not directly related to being a pilgrim DOES streamline the process of issuing Compostelas and Distance Certificates. This sudden and abrupt policy change should improve throughput and attenuate wait times for pilgrims. We shall see...

I hope this helps...
I truly appreciate stories like this from the front lines in Spain. Living on the other side of the pond, it is difficult to have an awareness of local Spanish politics, religion and how things work. I find it both enlightening and amusing and I am often struck by how much we are the same, not how much we are different. Thank you for your insights.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That is great news @t2andreo. And I love to hear that the old tubos are all gone now. I'll open mine tomorrow and wiggle out my compostela to put it in the binder with the other compostelas. One day I'll have them framed on the wall together with some photographs.

Hi everyone!!!!

Here's the deal:

Going for the next Camino in November and I want to purchase credentials now; That will be me and my respective one walking from Somport to Finisterra. We are fast walkers so most likely won't be needing more than 35 stamp places. I'd say 40 to be on the safe side.

I've decided not to get the new credential due to the Ink issue reported on this thread. The " old" model still being sold by Ivar is also different from all my other credentials ( they are all the same since my first camino - see bellow)
upload_2016-9-29_15-39-22.png

I now the new credential can receive 55 stamps, which would be more than enough for me but, I don't want smudged stamps.

How many stamps can the old credential (the model that Ivar has on his store) receive?

Are the really old ones (like the one I've attached the picture) still avaiable to be purchased?

Thanks everyone!!!

Ultreia!

Vagner

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As of 20 August, when I left, they had dark blue tubos, and a "claret" colored "red" tubo. Both sport the same gold cathedral logo overprinting.

The most recently received order from the local (a'Coruna) plant included an equal number of both red and blue tubos. Time will tell if the mentioned intent to standardize on a single color takes hold.

Just FYI, previously only red tubos were available. Yet in my experience, blue was more popular by a 2:1 margin. Hey, this is Spain! Just enjoy the result, whatever it is...

I hope this helps.

If anyone know where I could get a couples of credentiales, please do let me know...

I dont want this sort of concern on my pilgrimage (stamps getting smudged) :confused:

@ivar Hi Ivar!! Could you kindly let me know if you still have the old ones?

Thanks very much everyone!

:D

€83,-
I dont want this sort of concern on my pilgrimage
For a minute each day, you will have to place a piece of paper (maybe keep a square of toilet paper in your credential) on the stamp. Consider that to be a ceremonial moment of reflection. A pause in your day while you admire the stamp and let it dry. Think about the people who were responsible for this "travesty" :mad: and how all of us do less than perfect things every day, dig deep down to forgive them, and consider how this is such a first world problem.

I'm glad this problem was pointed out and a fix has been arranged. Meanwhile, however, somebody has to use them up, unless we want to just throw them away. Eventually this supply of credentials will be used up and a new better batch printed. :)

Edit: I will probably think about this post every day on my next camino!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

€149,-
I know it's a very modern-like small issue but, well, I will try to not have this small issue nonetheless :oops:

After all, I reckon there is plenty of time for reflections during the day :D

I'll check in other Affiliations in Spain and might be able to find old credentials... If anyone knows and could share where I could find other credential models to buy, I'd appreciate it very much...

It'll be november/december, very very wet and I can anticipate the mess the selos in the new credential will become....:eek:

Thanks for all the help as usual, and also for making me laugh out loud inside my office with people looking and wondering what the heck I'm working on...:D:D:D

Ultreia Everyone!!!

Have you tried your local (Brazilian) Camino association or similar? Buen Camino, SY

Have you tried your local (Brazilian) Camino association or similar? Buen Camino, SY
I'll try to reach them out later on today! Just got their email address now.

THanks Sil! ;)

€149,-
Just an update on this... I just got a few new boxes of credentials from the pilgrims office and they have now changed the paper that the credentials is printed on. It is now less glossy and feels a lot like the same paper the old credential was printed on. I hope this will fix the problem described above.

Buen camino!
Ivar

Last edited:
Someone, anyone who gets a "new" credential with the new paper that Ivar mentioned, please provide feedback here on how it holds ink from sellos.

That will tell us if my "demonstration" to the assembled masses back in August had a practical effect. I wanted to believe what they told me, that they would order new credentials with more absorbent paper, once the current style was depleted. Your response will tell me if they were just "blowing smoke" or were sincere. Hey, I am a volunteer, not quite a full-human. You know how it is...;)

But, knowing how things "work" there, and reveling in the amusing irony of it all, I presume that my first chore when I return this July, will be to go to the attic and rotate the credentials so the likely pile of several thousand overlooked old style / slick paper credentials are moved to the front for use and exhaustion during the mid-July to mid- August 2017 peak period.

This should be interesting...:eek:

Just an update on this... I just got a few new boxes of credentials from the pilgrims office and they have now changed the paper that the credentials is printed on. It is now less glossy and feels a lot like the same paper the old credential was printed on. I hope this will fix the problem described above.

Buen camino!
Ivar
Are these new "improved" credentials what you are shipping out now?

Maybe any leftover glossy paper credentials could be stockpiled for distribution in Sarria. ;)

That is my intention. During the summer months, the Pilgrim Office mails case quantities of credentials to Spanish Pilgrim Associations, Churches and clubs all over Spain. Presumably, these are used during July and August.

So, I plan to double-check when I get there. If I find overlooked "slick paper" credentials, I will move them to the office where bulk supplies are sent to Spanish groups, and rotate the on-hand stock to use these up first. Hopefully, this will get them out and into the hands of folks who likely do not care as much about the paper porosity.

POST-POSTING EDIT:

I reread this post and it occurred to me that some of you might think I am singling out the Spanish pilgrims in some adverse or negative manner. NOT TRUE!:eek: I am not picking on anyone or any group in particular. It is the timing and pattern of the credential shipping that influences my tactic.

The fact is that the Pilgrim Office just happens to send caseloads of credentials, mostly to these groups, via El Correos, all year. Their supply effort dramatically picks up speed in July and August with several cases going next door to the post office each day. I simply intend to help them to do the right thing...;)

Logically, if you had "X" thousand, or tens of thousands, of the old / slick paper credentials left and wanted to consume them faster, this is the best method. If any of these case quantities are being mailed out of Spain, those groups will be included in the slick paper drawdown, to the extent I need to invoke it when I start my month as a volunteer in mid-July this year. The fact that a majority of these credencials will end up in the hands of folks walking the minimum distance from Sarria to Santiago is just that, a calendar-driven coincidence.:confused:

I hope I am surprised, and discover that some sage person has already rotated the stock and the old / slick paper credencials are a distant memory. Frankly I would prefer that happenstance.:D

END EDIT

We shall see...;)

Last edited:
Very many thanks to @BeatriceKarjalainen for starting this thread and bringing this to our attention, and to @t2andreo for doing something about it. Much appreciated! Jill

I'm so glad to hear that my complaints was listened to and something is done. A big thanks to @t2andreo for taking the case to the highest authorities.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back