• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD The Omicron variant and its implications for the camino

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Rivera

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés, Camino Inglés, Camino Portugués, Camino Primitivo, Camino del Norte, Camino Aragonés
Hello
I am a pilgrim in the United States. It was announced last week that all travelers (including Americans themselves) traveling back to the United States, must show a negative PCR test taken within 24 hours of flight. That complicates things more: I am planning to do the Via de la Plata in April 2022, where in Spain do I get a PCR test? How do I find out if my city/town or wherever I am, there is place to get tested? Spain has not implemented restrictions, but if they do, how is the camino going to be affected? If the Omicrom is more virulent, I am afraid they will start shutting down infrastructure and it will be even harder to do. Any advice on what to do? I am having second thoughts about booking a flight and planning for this upcoming year, maybe I should postpone it for 2023. . .?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello
I am a pilgrim in the United States. It was announced last week that all travelers (including Americans themselves) traveling back to the United States, must show a negative PCR test taken within 24 hours of flight. That complicates things more: I am planning to do the Via de la Plata in April 2022, where in Spain do I get a PCR test? How do I find out if my city/town or wherever I am, there is place to get tested? Spain has not implemented restrictions, but if they do, how is the camino going to be affected? If the Omicrom is more virulent, I am afraid they will start shutting down infrastructure and it will be even harder to do. Any advice on what to do? I am having second thoughts about booking a flight and planning for this upcoming year, maybe I should postpone it for 2023. . .?

You need two things:

A well known search engine using ‘PCR test’ and the name of the city will sort the practical problem. You can’t throw a rock in Europe without hitting a test centre.

For the rest, you’ll need a crystal ball. Personally, if it’s still legal to do so, I’m back in Spain in February and on the Camino de Madrid in March

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
First, a PCR test is not required. The US requires an antigen test or PCR test.
Second, the time frame isn't 24 hours. It's any time starting the day before your flight. For example, if you have a flight at 3pm on Friday you can get your test at any time starting on Thursday.
All the information is on the CDC site.

As far as how Omicron or any future variant will affect the Camino - get out your crystal ball.

Last edited:
Any advice on what to do? I am having second thoughts about booking a flight and planning for this upcoming year, maybe I should postpone it for 2023. . .?
Plan and book if you wish but be prepared to cancel or change your plans. Read the details of changing your flights, and make sure that you have good travel insurance coverage.

Way too early to have definitive plans regarding testing sites and rules, though you are wise to think twice about booking in refundable travel tickets and stays.

Having just spent the last 90 days in Spain, Portugal, France, Scotland, and London, I can attest to a few things:

Large European cities have testing EVRYWHERE, but if you are flying from a smaller location, it may be problematic since test results may be delayed or pharmacies closed on Sundays. Your travel plans probably should include at least an overnight in whatever city your international flight leaves from to ensure you have the ability to test.

Mask-wearing is nearly universal. They are serious about avoiding another shutdown and working hard to stop the spread. Large gatherings, though, are quite common, so that’s working against controlling spread. Proof of vaccination is now required nearly everywhere - a big change from 3 months ago.

The governments have publicly stated that they do not want another shutdown due to the effects on their economies. There may be limits and evening curfews (and bans on the unvaccinated), but no one wants to return to what they did originally. As it’s been seen in Austria and Germany, popular opinion and active protests will be opposed.

Finally, rules can change almost overnight. We’ve had multiple iterations of test requirements (both more and less stringent) not only when traveling between countries, but within each country itself. If you don’t like to travel with the unknown staring at you each morning, then this pandemic is NOT when you want to be away from home.

Overall, my advice is to just take a pause in regards to plans until Omicron gets studied a bit more. When you book, be sure you can cancel without penalty. And finally, keep apprised of changes at all times so you don’t get caught short.

You have asked a lot of unanswerable questions.
where in Spain do I get a PCR test? How do I find out if my city/town or wherever I am, there is place to get tested?
Ask people, or use Google. People in hotels and albergues, as well as the Spanish population in general, are very familiar with Covid.
Spain has not implemented restrictions, but if they do, how is the camino going to be affected?
Any restrictions will restrict pilgrim movement and convenience. Look at what has happened over the past 2 years, and see how unpredictable and variable the effects have been.
Any advice on what to do?
As others have said, wait patiently. If you want to make any reservations, make sure they can be cancelled. I am hoping to go to Spain in the spring, but will not make any fixed plans until perhaps 6 weeks before travelling.

When I returned from Spain in early October I took a Covid test at the Madrid airport (Antigen). Made an appointment before I left the US. It was quick, easy, and affordable. Results back in about 20 minutes. Folks who didn’t have an appointment didn’t fare so well . They also do quick PCR.

frm

My Norw. government announced this afternoon that they will present new, stronger restrictions tomorrow: That's how volatile the situation is in most European countries, being the pandemic epicentre of the world now.

Even having taken 3 shots of vaccines, my April 2022 plans are on full hold for now.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
First, a PCR test is not required. The US requires an antigen test or PCR test.
Second, the time frame isn't 24 hours. It's any time starting the day before your flight. For example, if you have a flight at 3pm on Friday you can get your test at any time starting on Thursday.
All the information is on the CDC site.

As far as how Omicron or any future variant will affect the Camino - get out your crystal ball.
Antigen results can be same day ( it was for me in Santiago in early November). Also relatively cheap $40. As for Omicron
 early results indicate a more virulent but less deadly variant, which is a normal result for viruses as they mutate. Not sure if that is good news really. I imagine travel will be bumpy for the foreseeable future.

The plague outbreak in 1666 in London is generally regarded as the last throw of the pandemic in Europe that started in 1347 so we may have a road to travel yet.

I have had my booster and after not travelling this year am provisionally planning to walk a camino at the end of January. I won't book until closer to the time and will follow the rules applicable at the time. If that means not going so be it. Given what Covid has meant for so many others it won't be much of a sacrifice.

Taking a chance on a journey as you have certainly leaves a person feeling excited, if not anxious. as you sit in front of your computer screen booking a trip two or three months ahead of time. And this site has, indeed, been a source of inspiration as the clock ticks closer. Undoubtedly, the element of the unknown looms. But wow, the rush is worth it, envisioning yet another day with that grin eclipsing your face as you take the day’s first steps on “the way”. That moment in time when the sun is rising, yesterday’s pains have subsided, your legs are fresh and there’s God in the trees, or something like that.
That was this last September and this morning on the second day out of Lisbon (no longer in Dawson City, Yukon where it was -37) in some industrial zone with lots of pavement and narrow shoulders, I started out grinning in the morning sun at all those trucks and cars, thinking how fortunate I was to be walking by the quiet water an hour later, stopping for the some of the finest espresso on earth, devouring yet another pastel denata (Portuguese custard tart), and remembering how uncertain I was about the whole trip given the given the current milieu on this planet. A year ago I was in a similarity place. The good folks on this site were instrumental in sending me out cross-country skiing for the winter instead. It wasn’t the time. But todayâ€Šâ€ŠđŸ€ŁđŸ™

When I returned from Spain in early October I took a Covid test at the Madrid airport (Antigen). Made an appointment before I left the US. It was quick, easy, and affordable. Results back in about 20 minutes. Folks who didn’t have an appointment didn’t fare so well . They also do quick PCR.

frm
did the same in October...easy peasy

Any advice on what to do? I am having second thoughts about booking a flight and planning for this upcoming year, maybe I should postpone it for 2023. . .?
Covid Travel Anxiety (CTA) has become a thing. It's a thing that isn't going to magically go away any time soon. My advice is to book your flights and make your plans, secure in the knowledge that the right thing to do will not be obvious until a week or two before you leave. Watch the cancellation/change fees, which the travel industry is mostly treating with a very light hand at the moment. They do this because EVERYONE is reluctant to book travel. Many pilgrims had their Spring 2021 plans dashed by Covid, and many had a great Camino in the fall of 2021. What's on tap for Spring 2022? Who knows......but if you wait until everything is clear, you will likely have a very long wait.

Buen Camino

What's on tap for Spring 2022? Who knows......but if you wait until everything is clear, you will likely have a very long wait.

Buen Camino
For us living in Europe, we have lots of options, even if we wait. I normally book my (one-way) flight from Norway to Barcelona/Madrid just a week ahead from decision to go. I fly Norwegian, so the ticket will be 80-120 Euros, normally. I use booking.com to reserve a night in my starting place, and then I'm off. Easy.

I fully understand that it takes a bit more to get to Spain from other parts of the world as inexpensive as possible, but this is how it works for us Europeans. So, everything is on hold for the next couple (or more) months.

Also take into account that I am retired, so I can go on literally an hour's warning, if I find a good offer.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
...That was this last September and this morning on the second day out of Lisbon (no longer in Dawson City, Yukon where it was -37) in some industrial zone with lots of pavement and narrow shoulders, I started out grinning in the morning sun at all those trucks and cars, thinking how fortunate I was to be walking by the quiet water an hour later, stopping for the some of the finest espresso on earth, devouring yet another pastel denata (Portuguese custard tart), and remembering how uncertain I was about the whole trip given the given the current milieu on this planet. A year ago I was in a similarity place. The good folks on this site were instrumental in sending me out cross-country skiing for the winter instead. It wasn’t the time. But todayâ€Šâ€ŠđŸ€ŁđŸ™
Yukon,
Lucky you! Please do keep writing updates as you continue through Portugal. Thus all your readers will be able to enjoy each step you take.
Carpe diem and Bom caminho!

I do enjoy reading the information such as is evident in above posts. Perhaps the most important thing is: we have nothing more than this very moment. Plan, certainly. Spend money on insurance if you have it. Above all, no matter how you root yourself, or attach yourself to whichever ism, be where you are now. Some will survive and still be writing in 50 years time. Some will be smiling up from beneath the daisies! Or down, from the angelic clouds, like the angels in the scraps I collected sets of as a child!
Whichever, buen camino!👣
9589185F-044B-48B4-831B-CB128D9F73CC.jpeg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
"The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly."

Bukkyo Dendo Kyokai,
The Teaching of Buddha

Hello
Hi Julio , If I would take a decision, I would postpone because would not like to live every day wondering if !!! Good day !

Hello
Search for a testing site online and make sure it’s for a pcr test. They generally get the result back within 24 hours but check that too so you have it before boarding your flight. It is a little tricky but doable. Good luck!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello
Although they’ve changed the test window from three days to one, I’m pretty sure the antigen test (which yields an immediate response) is adequate. That’s good because the PCR test result comes back in 24-36 hours, which taken with the one-day rule creates an insoluble problem.

Hello
It will all have changed by April!!! Be patient but keep planning. Enjoy the VDLP - I need to come and finish the last bit but not sure when.

Currently (Dec 7, 2021), both antigen and PCR tests are allowed for US entry of vaccinated citizens.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello
From what I understand it’s an Antigen text not PCR. All major cities have testing sites. Was just in Madrid and any hotel can tell you where to go. We got it done at a lab in the city called LifeLength. Also it is one day not 24 hours which helps with timing.

Last thought. I have traveled back and forth to Spain 9 times since the pandemic started. I am a resident of Spain and own an Albergue on the Camino Frances called Casa Banderas in Galicia. So if you are not traveling until April things will change 20 more times before you go. So don’t worry too much.

From what I understand it’s an Antigen text not PCR.
It's antigen or PCR. However, given the shortened time frame, it would probably be difficult to get the results of a PCR test in time.
All the relevant information is on the CDC website, which I posted in post #4 above.
And here it is again

Hello
This is the exact reason my daughter and I finally decided to cancel our plans to walk in May 2022, just too much still going on and too many unknowns including reading this past year about less places to find a place to sleep and the social distancing. It took us a lot to make this decision as our original Camino was cancelled due to the shutdowns in 2020 and the nightmare of trying to get all our flights refunded. For many they will still go next year with no fear but for us this was a painful decision but one we felt was right for us as it’s just not the Camino experience we want of not knowing how things will be with all these variants!

Last edited:

€83,-
Hello
We got ours in November this year at a very efficient and friendly clinic in Madrid. We just Googled and called around $45.

Hello
Join the queue, I cancelled March2020, March 2021 and it looks like March 2022 will be the same. Be of good cheer and wait patiently. It will happen sometime. In the meantime enjoy life in some other ways. ULTREIA.

I generally avoid such things, as not being pertinent to the forum, and its rules -- but indication seem to be that Omicron is a lot less virulent than its predecessors. Zero confirmed deaths, and most in hospital seem to be there for other reasons, but incidentally infected with it. There are a few middling symptomatic cases of it.

I will not make any predictions, as there are still many unknowns, but a possibility does exist that this one isn't so bad as previous.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Taking a chance on a journey as you have certainly leaves a person feeling excited, if not anxious. as you sit in front of your computer screen booking a trip two or three months ahead of time. And this site has, indeed, been a source of inspiration as the clock ticks closer. Undoubtedly, the element of the unknown looms. But wow, the rush is worth it, envisioning yet another day with that grin eclipsing your face as you take the day’s first steps on “the way”. That moment in time when the sun is rising, yesterday’s pains have subsided, your legs are fresh and there’s God in the trees, or something like that.
That was this last September and this morning on the second day out of Lisbon (no longer in Dawson City, Yukon where it was -37) in some industrial zone with lots of pavement and narrow shoulders, I started out grinning in the morning sun at all those trucks and cars, thinking how fortunate I was to be walking by the quiet water an hour later, stopping for the some of the finest espresso on earth, devouring yet another pastel denata (Portuguese custard tart), and remembering how uncertain I was about the whole trip given the given the current milieu on this planet. A year ago I was in a similarity place. The good folks on this site were instrumental in sending me out cross-country skiing for the winter instead. It wasn’t the time. But todayâ€Šâ€ŠđŸ€ŁđŸ™
Hello Yukon, Whitehorse here! I walked CaminoFrances Nov 2021 SJPDP to Burgos before I had to come back to Canada for a funeral. Can’t wait to be back smiling and walking. I had some delays due to Covid testing and airline fees due to not having a changeable ticket. So it’s good advice to make sure air tickets are changeable. Buen Camino!

So hoping to be able to walk my Camino after Easter. Thinking of walking the VDLP with 2 forum friends, but also personal friends made on the Camino and at the Pilgrims office. Waiting for my booster shot, soon. Thinking Camino makes me smile. Light and Love!

I am planning to do the Inverno and possibly the Ingles after Easter. Perhaps we can meet
up.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You have asked a lot of unanswerable questions.

Ask people, or use Google. People in hotels and albergues, as well as the Spanish population in general, are very familiar with Covid.

Any restrictions will restrict pilgrim movement and convenience. Look at what has happened over the past 2 years, and see how unpredictable and variable the effects have been.

As others have said, wait patiently. If you want to make any reservations, make sure they can be cancelled. I am hoping to go to Spain in the spring, but will not make any fixed plans until perhaps 6 weeks before traveling.
I've done the opposite. I will leave for Europe in the spring (April) and will visit 4 different countries: France, Italy, Portugal, Spain and then back to France before departing for home (57 days). I have flights to get there and back home and 3 inter-European flights. I have made most bookings. Working on the last 5 to 6 days. All reservations are cancellable if it's known that I must cancel within one to two weeks beforehand, some requiring just 2 or 3 days notice beforehand. I have family living abroad and it's known to me that there are many test sites. One only has to worry about doing it in the city where one has a departure flight to the US. Usually these are large cities: Madrid, Barcelona, Paris, etc. Even if one has connecting flights from smaller cities such as Santiago de Compostela, Porto, etc.-- all of those cities have testing sites with plenty of folks in the tourist industry to refer you to proper places. I want to do my own trip (and let me explain that this is my 4th attempt to try to do this-- I've had to cancel three times before, all due to changes in our Covid environment). I will say to relax a bit and don't stress out too much about it. If this venture is simply too much to deal with, then perhaps it is the totally wrong time to try to do it. I don't have a crystal ball and neither does anyone else, but there are those who are guessing that perhaps foreign travel will remain in this mode for the next 5 to even 10 years! So that's worth some consideration also. All part of the new reality! We can be frustrated by it because we are used to having travel be easy. But we all have to find ways to cope-- I venture to say that substantial numbers will opt out of making this type of journey. It's all fine! We have to live within the confines of our own psyche and we all operate a little differently. We have to do what's best for ourselves and those immediately around us and the answer might be different from someone else's views.

I've done the opposite. I will leave for Europe in the spring (April) and will visit 4 different countries: France, Italy, Portugal, Spain and then back to France before departing for home (57 days). I have flights to get there and back home and 3 inter-European flights. I have made most bookings. Working on the last 5 to 6 days. All reservations are cancellable if it's known that I must cancel within one to two weeks beforehand, some requiring just 2 or 3 days notice beforehand. I have family living abroad and it's known to me that there are many test sites. One only has to worry about doing it in the city where one has a departure flight to the US. Usually these are large cities: Madrid, Barcelona, Paris, etc. Even if one has connecting flights from smaller cities such as Santiago de Compostela, Porto, etc.-- all of those cities have testing sites with plenty of folks in the tourist industry to refer you to proper places. I want to do my own trip (and let me explain that this is my 4th attempt to try to do this-- I've had to cancel three times before, all due to changes in our Covid environment). I will say to relax a bit and don't stress out too much about it. If this venture is simply too much to deal with, then perhaps it is the totally wrong time to try to do it. I don't have a crystal ball and neither does anyone else, but there are those who are guessing that perhaps foreign travel will remain in this mode for the next 5 to even 10 years! So that's worth some consideration also. All part of the new reality! We can be frustrated by it because we are used to having travel be easy. But we all have to find ways to cope-- I venture to say that substantial numbers will opt out of making this type of journey. It's all fine! We have to live within the confines of our own psyche and we all operate a little differently. We have to do what's best for ourselves and those immediately around us and the answer might be different from someone else's views.
So we just did 93 days during both the Delta decrease and the Omicron increase - it CAN be done, it just depends on how flexible and resourceful you are. We had a fabulous trip and knew that the added testing hassle and costs were just part of the price of this particular trip.

So we just did 93 days during both the Delta decrease and the Omicron increase - it CAN be done, it just depends on how flexible and resourceful you are. We had a fabulous trip and knew that the added testing hassle and costs were just part of the price of this particular trip.
Thanks Vacajoe and Jim☀
It’s a lot more difficult to even reach the starting line of the Camino. It can be a high price to pay emotionally and fiscally. Could I add that I’m on the 9th day from Lisbon, now west of Fatima, walking a little known Camino to the coastal town of Nazare, the crazy paper paradigms of current day travel are far behind. The road embraces me each morning. Perhaps the rewards of the walk are greater than ever. I’d like to ask the pilgrims of a 1000 years ago.
Tomorrow, there will be more paper work and more hurdles, but today we pilgrims are here where we are able to find some peace on this enchanting journey amidst the fray.

Hello
Delay your travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.