• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The open heart surgery

JasonR

Hi to anyone who finds themselves reading this,
I have really enjoyed this forum and there are obviously some wonderful people drawn to it. So firstly thanks Ivar !
Well the purpose of this post is to perhaps offer a place where people already drawn to the Camino and this site can discuss anything that is affecting them at this moment in time. Maybe someone is going through a divorce, has lost a loved one or any other personal crisis. I am sorry if this seems a little negative in the sea of wonderful positivity that is this forum but I feel it might just be a little oasis for someone in need. It is very clear that there are a lot of people contributing here that have lived life and have a lot to offer other Pilgrims. So wonderful members of the community, if you do read this and find that someone has opened their heart please if you can send words of encouragement or understanding, it may even be something as modern as a weblink to a site that you feel they may find usefull.
I hope this is appropriate for the forum or is a duplicate of another post, I am sure someone will tell me :arrow:
Kind Regards, Jason

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Ok 41 views and no posts !well either there are a lot of people here with a fascination for heart surgery or everyone is having a great time :p
Look if you are not carefull I will spill the beans on my past few years :cry:
well on the poitive side it might make folks think their lot isn't so bad after all :lol:
Kind Regards, J

Surely our messages didn't have to be on the open forum?
I sent 4 pms to people I thought might need some encouragement and received a 'how are you doing' from one forum member and a 'thank you and bon voyage' from another.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for contributing Sillydoll,
I am note being rude but I am not entirely sure what you are trying to say?
I was just trying to provide a little place where maybe someone might want to say Hi im having a tough time at the moment with..... and maybe someone else might be the a good person to help them? I had no intention of forcing people out in the open.....or have I got the wrong end of the stick with your post?
Its great you took the time to PM people, just because they didn't come back with much does not mean that your words did not help, just that you never got to know.
By the way feel free to put me right on your post :shock:

I had a triple heart bypass three weeks ago. This was a complete surprise to me. I'm 67 years old and for 10 years I have always wanted to do the Camino - the full Camino Frances. That ambition hasn't left me. It may happen somewhat later than anticipated but it will happen with patience, belief, effort and plenty of practice.

I had a triple heart bypass three weeks ago. This was a complete surprise to me. I'm 67 years old and for 10 years I have always wanted to do the Camino - the full Camino Frances. That ambition hasn't left me. It may happen somewhat later than anticipated but it will happen with patience, belief, effort and plenty of practice.

Hi Martin Welcome to the Camino forum!
We learn to walk the Camino...one step at a time....mentally as well as physically..trying to stay in the moment. I am a cancer survivor and I have also learned from that experience 25 years ago to cherish each day and live in the moment.

i hope you have a steady recovery and with your doctor’s guidance walk the camino in the future! Blessings!

When you are closer to going and plannng your trip, this website and the many pilgrims who post hear will answer any concerns you may have about the route, logistics and preparation.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi to anyone who finds themselves reading this,
I have really enjoyed this forum and there are obviously some wonderful people drawn to it. So firstly thanks Ivar !
Well the purpose of this post is to perhaps offer a place where people already drawn to the Camino and this site can discuss anything that is affecting them at this moment in time. Maybe someone is going through a divorce, has lost a loved one or any other personal crisis. I am sorry if this seems a little negative in the sea of wonderful positivity that is this forum but I feel it might just be a little oasis for someone in need. It is very clear that there are a lot of people contributing here that have lived life and have a lot to offer other Pilgrims. So wonderful members of the community, if you do read this and find that someone has opened their heart please if you can send words of encouragement or understanding, it may even be something as modern as a weblink to a site that you feel they may find usefull.
I hope this is appropriate for the forum or is a duplicate of another post, I am sure someone will tell me :arrow:
Kind Regards, Jason

Hola Jason, a few of us who are facing "life a new" have already posted our experiences across other areas. Maybe the Mods can do some reorganising. Cheers

@Martin Phillips, do you expect that this will fix the balance issues that you were having last year? It would clearly be good for you if it did, but a bit sad though if they continued.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@Martin Phillips, do you expect that this will fix the balance issues that you were having last year? It would clearly be good for you if it did, but a bit sad though if they continued.
I am confident that I've had a heart problem for a number of years and I didn't know that. In the space of two weeks at the end of May I finally got the message. I am blessed that this has happened and I will walk The Camino

Hi Martin Welcome to the Camino forum!
We learn to walk the Camino...one step at a time....mentally as well as physically..trying to stay in the moment. I am a cancer survivor and I have also learned from that experience 25 years ago to cherish each day and live in the moment.

i hope you have a steady recovery and with your doctor’s guidance walk the camino in the future! Blessings!

When you are closer to going and plannng your trip, this website and the many pilgrims who post hear will answer any concerns you may have about the route, logistics and preparation.
Thank you.

Hi martin, I'm 77 and the same thing happened to a few weeks ago. I was 'training' for the Camino and the surgery was a complete surprise - no symptoms. Wondering if the Camino is doable after transplant surgery. Early days - .

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.