• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Order of Santiago

MikeyC

Time of past OR future Camino
CF - September 2016
CF - April May 2017
Shikoku - October 2017
Kumano Kodo - October 2017
CF - 2019
Not something I had come across before. Bonhams auction house is listing a portrait of a Member of the Order of Santiago.
Qualifications make no mention of a Compostela or even walking some of the Camino. Scroll down their page for the footnotes.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
They sound charming.

...a candidate who wished to join the Order of Santiago must have proved in his first four last names that he, his parents, and his grandparents were of noble descent by blood and not by privilege, and had never worked in manual or industrial labour.

Many classes of people were permanently disqualified from membership of the order due to their origins or circumstances. They included the following categories and their descendants: Jews, Muslims, heretics, converts to Christianity, or a mixture of these, no matter how far removed. Also included were people who had been punished for acts against the Catholic faith; had been an attorney, moneylender, notary public, retail merchant, or had worked where they lived or would have lived from their trade; had been dishonoured, had neglected the laws of honour and executed any act not proper for a perfect gentleman, or who lacked means of support.

Ironically, among those who would have been ineligible for membership of the Order are St John the Apostle, the Virgin Mary, and Jesus Christ.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
...the following categories and their descendants: Jews, Muslims, heretics, converts to Christianity, or a mixture of these, no matter how far removed...
Are there any Christians who are not descended from one or more of these, if one goes far enough back? The very first Christians were converts to Christianity. Every Christian since then has either been a convert to Christianity or descended from one. Methinks someone was not thinking things through.

Ironically, among those who would have been ineligible for membership of the Order are St John the Apostle, the Virgin Mary, and Jesus Christ.
Yes, amazing, isn't it? To join a club of knights, you had to be a knight and come from a family of knights. Thank you to @mspath for providing the link to www.ordenesmilitares.es/orden-de-santiago/ . It made the text of the auction house more comprehensible for me. ☺

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Careful here.

"Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a Publican. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this Publican." ... St. Luke 18:10-11

Last edited:
Caballeros de la Orden de Santiago, siglo XVIII, Volume 1 contains the statute of the Order of Santiago from around 1560-1570. Capitulo II-Capitulo V lists the qualifications that were required to become a member in those days and that have been copied into Wikipedia. It was a long time ago.

I don't know which Wikipedia contributor had the brilliant idea of rendering que viven por el trabajo de sus manos into had never worked in manual or industrial labour for a text from the 16th century. These guys just don't live in the past. 🤭

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.