• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The pastel de nata debate -- hot or room temp?

peregrina2000

Staff member
I was just posting some information on a pilgrim-friendly place to stay near the Lisbon cathedral and added some info on the importance of trying a pastel de nata or two while you are in Lisbon. There is a family run place right across the street from the Pensao Prata that makes them on site.

Paco Real (Rua da Conceição, 55-57) in front of Pensão Prata.
The owner (Carlos) is a friend of pilgrims and stamp the pilgrim credentials.

This reminded me of the forum's debate on hot vs. room temperature pasteis de nata.

For the serious pastry eaters who have not yet been to Lisbon, you should know that there is a great debate over whether these luscious little flaky, creamy pastries should be eaten hot or cold. The place highest on most tourist lists is the pastel de nata place out in Belem, near the Jeronimos monastery. The lines are huge, the pastries are delicious, and they are served hot. I have been out there many times and stood in those impossible lines.

A few years ago, in Lisbon, Aurelio and Rita took me to Paco Real and we had some at room temperature. Same flaky crust, same creamy inside, but no heat. Delicious. Aurelio insists that it is easier to "cover up" a bad pastel de nata by heating it, and that the best way to savor it is at room temp. And to make sure to go to a place that makes them on site, like Paco Real.

I don't think we ever did a forum vote on which is better, but I think we can all agree they are absolutely delicious.

Hoping that all pilgrims starting in Lisbon get the chance to try some of these (and the many other) delicious Portuguese pastries. It is not a good place to be if you want to limit sweet intake. Bom caminho, Laurie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Aurelio and Rita also took Eli and me for 'the real thing' served at room temp with a shake of cinnamon accompanied by a strong black coffee (which was like bad medicine to me as I don't drink coffee at all, but when in Lisbon...). As for the pasteis de nata, I have never been offered a hot one so can't make an educated judgment. But don't worry if you miss them in Lisbon, you will be able to try one in every cafe along the way.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Aurélio and Rita took us out for a guided tour around Lisbon last May and took us to a place where they make fresh pasteís de nata and they were delicioooouuuuusss !
It was somewhere behind the Rossio trainstation.
Aurélio please reveal where you took us.!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think they serve it hot because they don't have the time to let it cool :p

Hi, JCLima,
So good to see another Portuguese member of the forum. Just wanted to mention to you, in case you don't already know, that there is a terrific pilgrims association group based in Lisboa (not sure where you are). The Via Lusitana has a website with lots of updated information, a 24 hour Pilgrim SOS telephone line, and just last year opened an albergue in Alpriate. I always like to give them a shout out when I can because they do such good work, and are always looking for new members!

http://www.vialusitana.org.

I went to Casa Pastéis de Belem for the famous pastel de nata. They were hot and wonderful. We got six to go which we enjoyed at room temperature the next day. The consensus was that the secret to Casa Pastéis is that their natas are fresh and hot. When eaten at room temp the next day they taste very much the same as many others in Lisbon. When we went there was a long to-go line but we went inside, found a table, ordered our natas and also told the waitress that we wanted six to go which she delivered in a bag when we were ready to leave.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I've been enjoying pasteis since 1976. Even found them in Guangzhou; leftover from when the Portuguese set up a trading post in Canton 500 years ago. I love them hot or cold but prefer them with cinnamon only.

Hot or Cold they sound like a treat! I look forward to trying them in April when I start my Caminho!

IMG_2675.JPG Can buy them here in Rotterdam now in a Portuguese food and wine shop, fresh made and delicious. Only the price is a bit different . Instead of 0,65 to 1€ In Portugal, they cost here 1,50 € each.:confused::p

A selection of Camino Jewellery
So how can it be that Pasteleria de Belem is famous for its HOT pasteis de nata? And why do all of us tourists flock there? Maybe those are rhetorical questions. ;)
they are lucky to be at the right spot in a historical and touristical area .the ingredients are there. Flocks of tourists , hungry and thirsty and at the right place near the stop of the tramways to the towncenter. Just a coffee and a pastel de nata. Bingo !
Aurélio told me NOT to go there ! There are other far better places to buy and eat them .
They taste as good or even better if they are not called "pasteís de Belèm"
Found delicious ones in Spain in the town of Noia on the alternative coastal route to Fisterre. Just in a local panadería . Or in the center of Ponte de Lima at padería Ameadela. Portuguese know how to make them.

Last edited:
Hi.

The factory of the Pasteis de Belém in Belém, are the only ones that have the original recipe, is an exclusive secret, inherited from the monks. Traditionally, the Pastéis de Belém are still hot, sprinkled with cinnamon and powdered sugar.
I can not say that they are better or worse than the Pasteis de Nata (made in other pastries), it depends on personal taste.
There are very good, good and bad pasteis de nata, but what's good for me can be bad for someone else.
I prefer the pasteis de nata at room temperature and with cinnamon. But I do not care if someone else says they like them hot and without cinnamon.
Kisses for Laurie, Maggie and Mel and a hug to Albertinho and other members of the forum.
Eat the hot or cold cream pastries, but eat them.
AMSimões

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Our first taste was at Paco Real (thanks Luarie), but I agree with eating them either way (after sampling at the Belém temple), beautiful little pastries. Last month I was fortunate to be guided by Aurelio to a pasteleria where one can see the Pasteis de Nata being made while savoring the fresh pastry, incredible! But all along the CP Pasteis de Nata were a reliable refreshment, always at room temperature. I even succumbed at the Lisbon airport duty free counter and bought 6 to bring home. The pastry will be a lasting memory of the CP experience.

:)
Hi.

The factory of the Pasteis de Belém in Belém, are the only ones that have the original recipe, is an exclusive secret, inherited from the monks. Traditionally, the Pastéis de Belém are still hot, sprinkled with cinnamon and powdered sugar.
I can not say that they are better or worse than the Pasteis de Nata (made in other pastries), it depends on personal taste.
There are very good, good and bad pasteis de nata, but what's good for me can be bad for someone else.
I prefer the pasteis de nata at room temperature and with cinnamon. But I do not care if someone else says they like them hot and without cinnamon.
Kisses for Laurie, Maggie and Mel and a hug to Albertinho and other members of the forum.
AMSimões
Forte abraço da volta Aurélio ! Viva os pasteís de nata. Quentes ou frios !

Our first taste was at Paco Real (thanks Luarie), but I agree with eating them either way (after sampling at the Belém temple), beautiful little pastries. Last month I was fortunate to be guided by Aurelio to a pasteleria where one can see the Pasteis de Nata being made while savoring the fresh pastry, incredible! But all along the CP Pasteis de Nata were a reliable refreshment, always at room temperature. I even succumbed at the Lisbon airport duty free counter and bought 6 to bring home. The pastry will be a lasting memory of the CP experience.
Aurélio showed you the same place I think where he took us, nearby the Rossio
station.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi.

AMSimões
Hi, Aurelio,
I think I just learned something I didn't know before -- pastel de Belem is not exactly the same as pastel de nata, is that right? Slight difference in recipe, as well as in temperataure. And you are right -- they are ALL delicious. :)

And tell us, please -- where is the factory in Lisboa that you recommend? Near Rossio, Someone said.

I think I just learned something I didn't know before -- pastel de Belem is not exactly the same as pastel de nata, is that right? Slight difference in recipe, as well as in temperataure. And you are right -- they are ALL delicious. :).
Supposedly, the ones in Belém have a slight difference in the recipe, but the major difference is: the name "Pastel de Belém" is a trademark owned by the pastry in Belém. :p Everyone else has to call them "Pastel de Nata".
They are basically the same, maybe with some differences in the recipe but nothing major.

Hi, Aurelio,
I think I just learned something I didn't know before -- pastel de Belem is not exactly the same as pastel de nata, is that right? Slight difference in recipe, as well as in temperataure. And you are right -- they are ALL delicious. :)

And tell us, please -- where is the factory in Lisboa that you recommend? Near Rossio, Someone said.

Hi Laurie:

The factory of Pasteis de Nata that I showed to Albertinho and to Fred, is Manteigaria União, in Largo de Camões. Pasteis de Nata have less sugar than other pastries.
It is also possible to order Pasteis de Nata at room temperature.

http://lifecooler.com/artigo/comer/manteigaria-fbrica-de-pastis-de-nata/441115
https://www.zomato.com/pt/manteigaria

Hi, Aurelio,

https://www.zomato.com/pt/manteigaria

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just to revive the warm vs. room temp debate, here is the pastelaria in Lisbon that has won “best pasteis” several times. They serve them warm. :)

BTW, this place is located in one of my favorite Lisbon neighborhoods, Campo de Ourique. More or less at the Prazeres end of Tram 28, this is a typical grid residential neighborhood (early-mid 20th century, I think), with a nice little plaza. It is also home to the now very trendy market, now food court plus market, sort of like the Mercado San Miguel in Madrid. But not nearly as pricey! https://mercadodecampodeourique.pt

If you have time in Lisbon to get off the tourist trail, this is the place to do it!

At this moment, any pastei de nata, would work for me, hot, room temp, or out of the fridge, from a bakery or large scale production. They are not available where I live. Each and every one that I have eaten while in Portugal has been excellent. Now I have a craving - thanks guys and gals.

Love them, love them, love them. Ate them whenever and wherever I could. Always at room temp. Never had the hot ones. I look forward to them as well, however, I am not a very patient person, so I doubt I could wait in a long line.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My favorite place still is a Manteigaría nearby the Rossio station.
In a long and narrow shop you can see how the pasteís de nata are made and try the taste together with a small expresso coffee or cappuccino.. hot served nata's of course !
Looking forward to taste them again within 5 weeks when we'll arrive in Porto

Last edited:
Who was the bad person who restarted this debate @peregrina2000? Now I can’t keep out of my mind the image and memory of those hot, delicious, wonderful smelling, gloriously calorie laden pastries from Belem. As I need to lose a few kilos I should be glad that I am separated from them by thousands of kilometres. But oh! What sensual memories of those crisp outter shells, and the perfectly textured and sweetened, just set, eggy custard that melts on the tongue.

Who was the bad person who restarted this debate @peregrina2000? Now I can’t keep out of my mind the image and memory of those hot, delicious, wonderful smelling, gloriously calorie laden pastries from Belem. As I need to lose a few kilos I should be glad that I am separated from them by thousands of kilometres. But oh! What sensual memories of those crisp outter shells, and the perfectly textured and sweetened, just set, eggy custard that melts on the tongue.
😊

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
How good is this.
Found these nestled between the meat pies and the potato gems in a big butcher place that sells everything.
You can imagine how excited I was.
A little slice (or tart) of Portugal in the outer suburbs of Melbourne, Australia.

I love them! I had at least one every day when I did the Lisbon to Porto section last year. Always room temperature and always lovely, whether from a local cafe or bakery, or from shops like Continente. They are popular here in London too, and it was here that I had my only hot nata, at the Cafe de Nata in Hammersmith. It was delicious as well. They are even available in the coffee bar at my local train station, so I have to resist the temptation to buy one every morning on my way in to work. Can't wait to get back to the genuine Portuguese article when I do the Porto to SdC section in June/July this year.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Worst thread ever, I am now ravenous with only the hope of supermarket pastel to save me :(

As for temperature I slightly favour warm as that's when the pastry is at its flakiest and crispiest but there's a lot to be said for the deep, cool yet still light custard you get from a cold one on a hot day.

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back