• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Perfect Camino Shoe!

PastorCat

Time of past OR future Camino
May-June 2013
Shoes and boots are like opinions...

Opinions are like butts...

Everyone's has one...

And most of them...well......ya'll can complete that sentence.

That said, I've found the Perfect Camino Shoe...at least for folks with wide-feet, Plantar Fasciitis, or bunionettes. I have all three. WideFoot folks rejoice!

Behold the amazing: Brooks Addiction 13
(cue the orchestral sound effects)
Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 9.39.06 AM.png
Whenever preparing for a long distance hike, I use Amazon Prime to sample shoes and boots. Brick and mortar shoe stores can only carry a limited number of styles and brands. Amazon, pretty much, carries every brand and style in existence. And they deliver them to your house...and pick them up to return them for free! I have tried on nearly 100 pairs of boots and shoes since 2015 (...in preparation for three long-distance hikes). Till I found these Brooks shoes I had a few favorites:
  • ASICS GEL-FOUNDATION 13 (previously, my favorite - Unfortunately, folks with really-wide feet have zero trail-running options).
  • NEW BALANCE 990 (available in 6E, these are a close second to the Gel Foundation 13's. The 6E here is size-equivalent to most 4E shoes)
  • MEN'S MOAB 2 MID VENTILATOR (IMHO -If you don't have really wide feet, this is as good as it gets)
Notwithstanding the three honorable mentions above, after trying on, (more or less), 100 pairs of boots and shoes, (probably more), in my opinion, for pilgrims with:
  • Really wide feet
  • Bunionettes (or presumably bunions)
  • Plantar Fasciitis
  • Yikes! Or all three...
The best "lite hiking" shoe/boot in existence is the Brooks Addiction 13!

And now a few footnotes:
  • A bunionette — or "Tailor's Bunion" — is just like a big toe bunion, but develops on a little toe instead.
  • Boots on the Camino Frances are for fans of blisters. If you like hot, sweaty, blistery feet, hike the Camino in boots. Of course, that excludes the MEN'S MOAB 2 MID VENTILATOR. The Moab boots are awesome!
  • Amazon hater's, best of luck! The world is changing. There is no stopping it. The prevalence of Etail (as opposed to retail) is going to increase from now until the Apocalypse. Time to adjust. Shoes aren't vegetables. Nor are they made by local craftsmen. "Buying Local" when talking about products manufactured internationally is pointless. Kind of silly too. It's 2018. Logistics have evolved. It's best to evolve with them.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So happy that you have found the perfect shoe for your particular feet, at this time, for your type of usage. No need for hyperbole.;)

Last edited:
I like my Brooks as well, might look into that style, although I was hoping to find some hiking sandals

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So happy that you have found the perfect shoe for your particular feet, at this time, for your type of usage. No need for hyperbole.;)

Without hyperbole the world would be outrageously boring, incredibly bland, irretrievably disappointing, hmmmm....dare I say, a world like that would be PERFECTLY HUMORLESS. Know what I mean pilgrim?

6839B6A9-C18B-42C7-A7D3-602328853AE3.jpeg

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Congratulations!! It can be quite a chore to find the RIGHT one....enjoy them and thank them each day after
the walk is done.....

Having a number of pairs of Brooks - leather and mesh Addiction and Ariels as well, I have found the insoles in the Ariel are THE best for comfort. The same insoles have been around the block for 10 years or so, including a Camino and ready for the next one, not to mention many kilometres of training. AND they still look like new. They just get popped into my new shoes, this time Salomon which has a comfy insole but not a patch on the Ariel....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Altra Lone Peak 3 or 3.5 are excellent if you need a shoe with a wide toe box. Very light weight. Comfortable feel under foot when walking.

Hey! If you have a link to a 4E (or wider) trail running shoe, I’d love to give it a try. I’ve yet to find a trail runner that’s wide enough for my foot.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Altra Lone Peak 3 or 3.5 are excellent if you need a shoe with a wide toe box. Very light weight. Comfortable feel under foot when walking.

I have the pretty much the feet PastorCat describes, and have tried on and not liked Altras. It's all so individual. The wide Lowa boots work perfectly for me, but I've yet to find a shoe I can go really long distances in. I've made a note of the Brooks and well as another shoe recommended months ago, for the next time I decide to try to find the perfect long distance shoe.
It's all SO individual!

Everyone's has one...

That said, I've found the Perfect Camino Shoe...at least for folks with wide-feet, Plantar Fasciitis, or bunionettes. I have all three. WideFoot folks rejoice!

View attachment 39828
Whenever preparing for a long distance hike, I use Amazon Prime to sample shoes and boots. Brick and mortar shoe stores can only carry a limited number of styles and brands. Amazon, pretty much, carries every brand and style in existence. And they deliver them to your house...and pick them up to return them for free! I have tried on nearly 100 pairs of boots and shoes since 2015 (...in preparation for three long-distance hikes). Till I found these Brooks shoes I had a few favorites:
  • ASICS GEL-FOUNDATION 13 (previously, my favorite - Unfortunately, folks with really-wide feet have zero trail-running options).
  • NEW BALANCE 990 (available in 6E, these are a close second to the Gel Foundation 13's. The 6E here is size-equivalent to most 4E shoes)
  • MEN'S MOAB 2 MID VENTILATOR (IMHO -If you don't have really wide feet, this is as good as it gets)
Notwithstanding the three honorable mentions above, after trying on, (more or less), 100 pairs of boots and shoes, (probably more), in my opinion, for pilgrims with:
  • Really wide feet
  • Plantar Fasciitis
  • Yikes! Or all three...

And now a few footnotes:
  • A bunionette — or "Tailor's Bunion" — is just like a big toe bunion, but develops on a little toe instead.
  • Boots on the Camino Frances are for fans of blisters. If you like hot, sweaty, blistery feet, hike the Camino in boots. Of course, that excludes the MEN'S MOAB 2 MID VENTILATOR. The Moab boots are awesome!
  • Amazon hater's, best of luck! The world is changing. There is no stopping it. The prevalence of Etail (as opposed to retail) is going to increase from now until the Apocalypse. Time to adjust. Shoes aren't vegetables. Nor are they made by local craftsmen. "Buying Local" when talking about products manufactured internationally is pointless. Kind of silly too. It's 2018. Logistics have evolved. It's best to evolve with them.
I totally understand your enthusiasm for your shoes! I felt the same thing for mine. The whole Camino Frances without blisters or any problem at all. They were HOKAs and I loved them. I sort of bowed down to them in worship every evening!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Everyone's has one...

View attachment 39828
  • Really wide feet
  • Plantar Fasciitis
  • Yikes! Or all three...

And now a few footnotes:
(Holds breath while waiting to see your review of perfect socks . . . );)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You might try an unconventional approach. I wear Keen Waimea sandals in all but the most extreme conditions. Tracks like the Camino suit me and them just fine. If your feet don't tolerate cold that could be a problem part of the year. But other than that there are few downsides. The number one advantage is less surface areas for potential blistering and no need for socks. The footbeds are as good as the most expensive insoles a new pair should last beyond the end of the track almost no matter where you start. You could buy a pair for a test; even if you don't wind up using them on your Camino you will have a good sandal for other uses.

You might try an unconventional approach. I wear Keen Waimea sandals in all but the most extreme conditions. Tracks like the Camino suit me and them just fine. If your feet don't tolerate cold that could be a problem part of the year. But other than that there are few downsides. The number one advantage is less surface areas for potential blistering and no need for socks. The footbeds are as good as the most expensive insoles a new pair should last beyond the end of the track almost no matter where you start. You could buy a pair for a test; even if you don't wind up using them on your Camino you will have a good sandal for other uses.

Ya know, when I walked in 2015, I did bring a pair of hiking sandals with me. The sandals did double duty as albergue shoes (assuming they'd been washed) and were great for hiking the flats. I didn't like them for inclines or descents. I couldn't use them for rocky roads either. Even so, they did get lots of use.

Below is the sandal I brought. Well... Not the actual sandal. That's just a picture. It's not even a picture of the actual sandal. That's a new one. Nowadays mine is old and dirty. Anyhoo, kind of like the photo below.

Ecco.jpg

I walked the CP from Porto to SdeC wearing Keen H2 sandals and injinji toe sox and not a blister was had. Love Keen's big toe box AND for this walk i bought a mens size 8.5 on the advice of an REI foot guy as I hv a wide foot. He said mens size run wider. I believe shoes are like beauty products. You can't hv too many.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I understand that some (okay most) people want something on their feet that provides a sense of stability. But the heel strap in the Ecco would drive me crazy; some Keen H2s also have the heel strap. I look at the heel strap as just another possibility of getting a blister. The only place I ever got a skin irritation is in the ball of the foot when using a new pair of Waimeas before breaking them in slowly. A little foot powder helps. I have attached a pic of the first pair I bought in 2014 (and still use when working in the garden, etc.). I wore them all over Asia. I did have to have the web preemptively stitched up in Batambang, Cambodia in 2016. The newer Waimeas don't wear as long but at US$60 they remain a bargain. I wouldn't wear anything else.

Attachments

• thumb_IMG_1077_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_1077_1024.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 23

Altra Lone Peak are zero drop running shoes. Do you really recommend zero drop shoes for walking? I tried the HOKAs on the Camino in 2016, but they gave me a whole lot of blisters.

Everyone's has one...

View attachment 39828
  • Really wide feet
  • Plantar Fasciitis
  • Yikes! Or all three...

And now a few footnotes:
What made you not choose the MOAB? I’m going through the same thing as you and have it narrowed down to the MOABs and Solomen XA (wide). Leaning toward the Merrells. I love my Brooks on the street but feel every rock after about 100-200 miles wear.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Altra Lone Peak are zero drop running shoes. Do you really recommend zero drop shoes for walking? I tried the HOKAs on the Camino in 2016, but they gave me a whole lot of blisters.
The person who recommended the Altra Lone Peak shoe to me has walked hundreds and hundreds of miles in them. No blisters. No problems. I'm testing several shoes now and feel no difference between them with regard to the zero drop.

I really lucked out with my Mammut boots. I broke them in 2 months prior to starting. I prefer the ankle support in a light non leather hiking boot.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.