• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The perfect start - missed my flight!

Mark2012

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2012, 2014) Camino Finisterre (2012, 2013, 2014) Camino Portugues (2013), Camino del Norte (2015)
Just missed my flight to Biarritz from Stansted! Not the ideal start to this little adventure.

But no point going into a sulk about it. So, I'm now going to be flying to Bilbao, scheduled to land there at 9.20pm local time.

So, I'm looking for advice on how best to proceed from there. I have a booking at Esprit du Chemin in St Jean tonight, but I'm not sure how likely it is that I'll be able to get there in time.

What do you all think I should do? Stay in Bilbao tonight and get an early bus to St Jean tomorrow? I'm booked into Orisson for tomorrow night, and I really don't want to lose that slot. Of course, the upside of staying at Orisson means I don't need to start walking early tomorrow, so that would fit with staying in Bilbao tonight. That said, my preference would be to get to St Jean tonight if it all possible. I'm guessing the only option on that front would be a taxi. I'm guessing that would be extremely expensive, but I'd be willing to stretch the finances if it meant waking up in St Jean tomorrow morning.

Any and all thoughts would be greatly apperciated!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If it were me I would arrive in SJPP tomorrow morning, hang out a bit and then walk to Orrison which will only take you a few hours. Le Chemin D'Esprit will be asleep by the time you get there :). I stayed there May 10th and walked to Roncevalles the next day. Buen Camino!!!!

yogabanana said:
If it were me I would arrive in SJPP tomorrow morning, hang out a bit and then walk to Orrison which will only take you a few hours. Le Chemin D'Esprit will be asleep by the time you get there :). I stayed there May 10th and walked to Roncevalles the next day. Buen Camino!!!!

Yeah, I'm thinking along those lines too. I've been glued to the internet in Stansted trying to figure out the best thing to do. I'm leaning towards getting the bus from Bilbao to San Sebastian tonight (the last one leaves the airport at 10pm and the flight is due to land at 9.20pm, so I should make it), and then make my way from San Seb to St Jean tomorrow morning.

I'll have to let the people at Le Chemin D'Esprit know that I won't be making it there after all. It''ll free up a bunk for someone else tonight!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Everything happens for a reason on the Camino, you were meant to miss the flight-nothing mystical accept it as a fact. Enjoy the museum in Bilbao or better yet make your way on for an evening of tapas in San Sebastian!!! Then train to Bayonne and a bus to SJPD

Ahh! I had this dream last night! I leave in 3 weeks, and somehow I have this dream of missing flight each time I travel. Scary!

I like you're idea of getting to San Sebastian. Only a few miles further is Irun. There is an alburgue there in Irun where many start the Camino Norte. Maybe that is an option to stay?

For tomorrow, you can take your time, get to SJPdP, and stretch the legs getting to Orrison. I'm excited for you! What a way to start!

mralisn said:
Ahh! I had this dream last night! I leave in 3 weeks, and somehow I have this dream of missing flight each time I travel. Scary!

I like you're idea of getting to San Sebastian. Only a few miles further is Irun. There is an alburgue there in Irun where many start the Camino Norte. Maybe that is an option to stay?

For tomorrow, you can take your time, get to SJPdP, and stretch the legs getting to Orrison. I'm excited for you! What a way to start!

It is certainly proving to be an interesting start!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
what a great way to start something exciting is sure to come of this & I really want to know what :p

P - dont believe in "accidents"

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back