• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Phillipine Star - President Arroyo makes pilgrimage

ROME (via PLDT) — President Arroyo and her family flew to Santiago de Compostela in Spain Monday night to go on pilgrimage and enjoy a private get-together before beginning her official visit in Madrid tomorrow.

The brief vacation also coincided with the 60th birthday of First Gentleman Jose Miguel "Mike" Arroyo yesterday. Mrs. Arroyo, her husband and other members of the First Family, including presidential brother-in-law Rep. Ignacio Arroyo, flew to Spain where the rest of the official entourage arrived earlier.

Press Secretary Ignacio Bunye said there should be no question about the need for anybody, including the President, to take a breather.

"It’s the President’s time, she also needs to rest like any one of us. We really need to have private time for ourselves and for our families. That is also what the President will do," he said.

Santiago de Compostela is the final destination of the legendary medieval way of pilgrimship Camino de Santiago or the Way of Saint James.

Until today, it attracts visitors from all over the world with its fantastic monuments. The town is named after the Apostle Saint James ("Santiago"), whose remains are said to be found in the area.

Nowadays, Santiago is the second Catholic pilgrimage center, after Rome. The route from the French-Spanish border was and still is taken by pilgrims to Santiago de Compostela.

Some 1,800 buildings along the route, both religious and secular, are of great historic interest. The route played a fundamental role in encouraging cultural exchanges between the Iberian Peninsula and the rest of Europe during the Middle Ages.

"It remains a testimony to the power of the Christian faith among people of all social classes and from all over Europe," according to various accounts.

The First Couple were accompanied by their children, Evangeline Lourdes and Diosdado, along with his wife, Maria Victoria Celina, and daughter Eva Victoria.

Bunye said Evangeline Lourdes, nicknamed "Luli," arrived here Monday afternoon to join the family in Spain.

During her official visit in Madrid, the President will meet with King Juan Carlos I and Queen Sofia as well as Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am currently working as a Hospitalaro in a newly reopened Donativo Albergue in Vergen del Camino, just a short distance from Leon. It was closed for 5 years due to, initially the pandemic. It is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back