• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Phillipines, The icy Arctic, and in between: The Way...

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2009-2022: CFx6, CP, VdlPx2, Mozarabe, more later.
What a strange experience:

Last night, I was set up as skipper for a Northern Light cruise, out in the seas of the Arctic night, and we only had 2 guests; Catholics from the Phillipines... Very nice people! Now, we pride ourself with going out anyway, even with only 2 persons; people are travelling from far away to join our trips, so we never cancel, although last night, there was little hope of seeing the light. But I headed for the sea anyway.

So, I sent my crew member up on the bridge to keep watchout, and tried to talk to my guests as best I could. They revealed that they were keen walkers, and wanted to do something called the Camino in Spain... So what happened? Instead of talking about the Northern Lights (or lack of it this evening) we spent the evening talking about the Camino and its possible purposes and meanings!

Can you imagine: Those 2 nice 50-something beautiful couple went to the Arctic for the Northern Lights, and met with a captain who is a Camino veteran!

So there we were, up in the Arctic, in a boat at sea, in the dark night at sea, having a conversation/education about the Camino, staying in pitch dark out at sea, talking about a dirt road in Spain! How crazy is that!

The lady also told me that after talking with me, her determination was very much strengthened. They had been feeling the call of the Camino for many years, It was really in them.

What do you think? A coincidence? Or the Camino at work? Giving the right people signals? Heck, I find it strange: Being sought by people from literally the other side of the world, with the same ideas, the same wishes, and the same determination to do the Camino. And then, finding me as a captain of a boat they had randomly chosen, on literally the other side of the world.

I find it strange... But then again, strange things happen on the Camino and its surroundings. Last night, the Camino surroundings were in the Arctic...

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Beautiful, Falcon: That is what I see many nights (the lights: That person on the hilltop is simply spectalular...). But that night with the Phillipino couple was somewhat very important, for me, and them... Because now I believe they are starting on their way, and they have attitudes that will make their Way a complete joy.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I do not believe it was a coincidence. I am still sitting here, confused. But i think it was meant: Somehow, it was the Camino. Now I have a pair under my wings, but most importantly: There is a very dedicated couple out there who'll walk the Way. It gives me good feelings.
ting on
Coincidence? No way.
Indeed. My (scary) feeling too. How strange life is, and how close the Camino is to us,,,

Coincidence? No way.
Indeed. My /scary feeling too)
Wow Alex. That is just down right awesome. I sincerely think the Camino spirit was with you and I don't think that was merely coincidence. Awesome. Perfect. Lorrie.
Indeed. I am still reflecting upon this. How strange. For a man my caliber with my personal reflections, this was somewhat very strange.

Last edited:
Sounds like they were a very nice couple. I've made a few trips to the Philippines, and they have some beautiful beaches with great scuba diving. Also, many Filipinos are deeply religious, spiritual people.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
What do you think? A coincidence?

There are no coincidences, only God-incidents.

The lady also told me that after talking with me, her determination was very much strengthened. They had been feeling the call of the Camino for many years, It was really in them.

There is an old Blessed Mother Teresa blessing which goes like this: "May the Lord use you even without you knowing it"

"Viva Cristo Rey!!"
DHS

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Our former parish priest defined a coincidence as "a small miracle in which God chooses to remain anonymous." The real "small miracle" in Alex's story may not be the fact that he encountered these potential pilgrims in the manner and location that he did, but in the eventual outcome of their Camino: will it change their lives, help them to overcome some obstacle, or one of the many outcomes that people experience on the Camino? We'll probably never know, but at least Alex has had the blessing of having nurtured the seed that had been planted, but lain fallow until his encounter with them.

Our former parish priest defined a coincidence as "a small miracle in which God chooses to remain anonymous." The real "small miracle" in Alex's story may not be the fact that he encountered these potential pilgrims in the manner and location that he did, but in the eventual outcome of their Camino: will it change their lives, help them to overcome some obstacle, or one of the many outcomes that people experience on the Camino? We'll probably never know, but at least Alex has had the blessing of having nurtured the seed that had been planted, but lain fallow until his encounter with them.
It will. I just know it. And who knows: One day they may tell you, right here...

LOVE stories like this - so much so that I couldn't just hit the like button! I believe it is one of the many graces God gifts to each of us every day - actually - there are bucketloads of grace in that story!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
actually - there are bucketloads of grace in that story!
Yep. It was a special evening, very close to the heart of the Camino.

And for an old Arctic salty dog, this one's perfect... My next Camino aid: I can visualize myself anchored to the best cafe between Burgos and Leon with (a few) beers....

Attachments

• Salty dog.jpg
    Salty dog.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That walker is great Alexwalker!

Last night, I was set up as skipper for a Northern Light cruise, out in the seas of the Arctic night, and we only had 2 guests; Catholics from the Phillipines... Very nice people! Now, we pride ourself with going out anyway, even with only 2 persons; people are travelling from far away to join our trips, so we never cancel, although last night, there was little hope of seeing the light. But I headed for the sea anyway.

So, I sent my crew member up on the bridge to keep watchout, and tried to talk to my guests as best I could. They revealed that they were keen walkers, and wanted to do something called the Camino in Spain... So what happened? Instead of talking about the Northern Lights (or lack of it this evening) we spent the evening talking about the Camino and its possible purposes and meanings!

Can you imagine: Those 2 nice 50-something beautiful couple went to the Arctic for the Northern Lights, and met with a captain who is a Camino veteran!

So there we were, up in the Arctic, in a boat at sea, in the dark night at sea, having a conversation/education about the Camino, staying in pitch dark out at sea, talking about a dirt road in Spain! How crazy is that!

What do you think? A coincidence? Or the Camino at work? Giving the right people signals? Heck, I find it strange: Being sought by people from literally the other side of the world, with the same ideas, the same wishes, and the same determination to do the Camino. And then, finding me as a captain of a boat they had randomly chosen, on literally the other side of the world.

I find it strange... But then again, strange things happen on the Camino and its surroundings. Last night, the Camino surroundings were in the Arctic...
What is meant to be WILL be....You are a special person Alexwalker and these two souls were MEANT to be aboard your vessel last night and you were the One Chosen to talk with them about the Magic and the Mystery of The Camino - whichever route they take....Camino Hugs.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Hei Alex, how often do you do these arctic tours? can you elaborate on these? I like to know the schedule of the tours, prices, places that are visited....do you have a website?

Greetings from a future peregrina in the Philippines. My country was previously colonized by Spain for 350 yrs at the height of the Spanish empire. It was named by a Spanish explorer, Ruy Lopez de Villalobos in honor of then Spanish king, Philip II. The predominant religion is Roman Catholic for which we are thankful for Spain for bringing it here. The treaty of Paris ended the Spanish-American war in the Philippines (with the US paying $20 million to Spain) and ended the Spanish empire in other Pacific Islands like Guam and the Americas.

Greetings from a future peregrina in the Philippines. My country was previously colonized by Spain for 350 yrs at the height of the Spanish empire. It was named by a Spanish explorer, Ruy Lopez de Villalobos in honor of then Spanish king, Philip II. The predominant religion is Roman Catholic for which we are thankful for Spain for bringing it here. The treaty of Paris ended the Spanish-American war in the Philippines (with the US paying $20 million to Spain) and ended the Spanish empire in other Pacific Islands like Guam and the Americas.
Kamusta.
And let's not forget the wonderful San Miguel beer the Spanish brought to the Philippines. I have enjoyed a cold bottle of it in both countries. ;)
El Camino 11 018.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back