• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The pilgrim must to demand? Unpleasant experience in Chez Nadine - Eauze

Marly

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy - Finisterre
We think that the pilgrim should thank and not demand and that the pilgrimage to Santiago is an experience of simple life and adaptation to everything, but where is the limit where the pilgrim should not complain about a service that pays or for the deal received? Without doubt when we are well treated we forget what we do not like and emphasize the bad things when we have been treated badly.

An unpleasant family dinner at Nadine's house in Eauze with constant criticism of everyone, making you feel that pilgrim is just who she says, the wrong advice about the Way of one who has not walked it and an excessive commercial sense makes that unpleasant experience must be said.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sorry to hear about your bad experience.
I don't know this particular albergue. I have had, too, a couple of bad experiences with hospitaleros: one time with a preaching guy, almost a bully, and another where it was obvious that sheer greediness was the main reason of existance of the albergue.
About hospitaleros in general, I think everybody is (more or less) entitled to a bad day; I would give them some latitude. The problem comes when lecturing pilgrims becomes a permanent attitude. There are some well known cases...
It is not usual, but it happens, especially when being hospitalero is a permanent activity. There is some merit to the rule of the two weeks service for volunteers.

An unpleasant family dinner at Nadine's house in Eauze ...
Eauze is in that part of France (past Condom and before reaching the Pyrenees foothills) that sees few walkers except the through-walkers -- less of the week or weekend French hiking groups that are the mainstay in the more scenic parts of the Le Puy route. So most of the overnight guests anywhere are of the tourist sort, and not pilgrims. It's the part of the Le Puy route where I grit my teeth and just plod on.

Unfortunately, every road the pilgrim walks has some warts, somewhere along the way. I hope your journey improves soon. Bon chemin!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My husband this afternoon roasted a chicken and potatoes, and prepared two kinds of veg. I made up the double bedroom, and the pilgrim room downstairs, as five pilgrims contacted us to say they'd be here this evening.
None of them showed up. Three of them wrote or texted to say they couldn't make it. The other two just didn't arrive, no word, nothing.
If your host is cranky, it might be due to all kinds of reasons. Including other pilgrims!
(although this way, we get to eat all we want, and not have to be sure everyone's finished before we have any chicken!)

We stayed with Nadine in the fall of 2015 and had a wonderful stay. She had a full "house" and prepared a great meal and the conversation was engaging. Her husband was sharing with us about his adventure to the USA. We were more than satisfied and would recommend others to stay with her.

My husband this afternoon roasted a chicken and potatoes, and prepared two kinds of veg. I made up the double bedroom, and the pilgrim room downstairs, as five pilgrims contacted us to say they'd be here this evening.
None of them showed up. Three of them wrote or texted to say they couldn't make it. The other two just didn't arrive, no word, nothing.
If your host is cranky, it might be due to all kinds of reasons. Including other pilgrims!
(although this way, we get to eat all we want, and not have to be sure everyone's finished before we have any chicken!)
Hola Rebekah, the hospitality world has been experiencing your complaint on an increased basis. The city restaurants can demand a credit card number, unfortunately this option is not open to you. To the people involved with the above, hope you get caught in the rain on Friday! Rebekah I hope you and Paddy really enjoyed the chicken. I'll pack a bottle of vino tinto to share? M

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
On the other hand I have very fond memories of my two night stay in Eauze with Marie-France and her wonderful dinners and diners.
I had no French and she no English. When i got two intances of Translate going on my tablet we cmmunicated very well.

Eauze was also a delight to get around with a wonderful Museum and a concert on my arrivale day.

And, as i wa still suffering from a trained muscle, she drove me on to my next stop at Manciet.

And the owner there was also a delight. Amongst other thingshe had been a professional rugby player (I noted being in rugby country three days before). He was also a grand host. When e parted be beamed when I said "Allez les Bleu". But grimaced when I added "Allez ultreia les All Blacks"

And so it continued over the remaining days in France. As it had before Eauze.

So, somebody had one bad experience somewhere. So what.

We think that the pilgrim should thank and not demand and that the pilgrimage to Santiago is an experience of simple life and adaptation to everything, but where is the limit where the pilgrim should not complain about a service that pays or for the deal received? Without doubt when we are well treated we forget what we do not like and emphasize the bad things when we have been treated badly.

An unpleasant family dinner at Nadine's house in Eauze with constant criticism of everyone, making you feel that pilgrim is just who she says, the wrong advice about the Way of one who has not walked it and an excessive commercial sense makes that unpleasant experience must be said.

I am sometimes quick to temper and impatient.... it is one of my less "charitable" qualities, and ones that I have worked on over the decades. I try to remember one of my favorite daily devotionals, which I have posted below. The times that I fail, which is often, it makes my spirit hurt when I have time to reflect on my own behavior later in the day. I try desperately to remember that I only have control over what I do, or how I react; I cannot control the actions of others :)

Excerpted from Let the Journey Begin by Max Lucado

The day is coming.

In a few moments the day will arrive. It will roar down the track with the rising of the sun. The stillness of the dawn will be exchanged for the noise of the day. The calm of solitude will be replaced by the pounding pace of the human race. The refuge of the early morning will be invaded by decisions to be made and deadlines to be met. For the next twelve hours I will be exposed to the day’s demands. It is now that I must make a choice.

Because of Calvary, I’m free to choose. And so I choose.

I choose love. No occasion justifies hatred; no injustice warrants bitterness. I choose love. Today I will love God and what God loves.

I choose joy. I will invite my God to be the God of circumstance. I will refuse the temptation to be cynical… the tool of the lazy thinker. I will refuse to see people as anything less than human beings, created by God. I will refuse to see any problem as anything less than an opportunity to see God.

I choose peace. I will live forgiven. I will forgive so that I may live.

I choose patience. I will overlook the inconveniences of the world. Instead of cursing the one who takes my place, I’ll invite Him to do so. Rather than complain that the wait is too long, I will thank God for a moment to pray. Instead of clinching my fist at new assignments, I will face them with joy and courage.

I choose kindness. I will be kind to the poor, for they are alone. Kind to the rich, for they are afraid. And kind to the unkind, for such is how God has treated me.

I choose goodness. I will go without a dollar before I take a dishonest one. I will be overlooked before I will boast. I will confess before I will accuse. I choose goodness.

I choose faithfulness. Today I will keep my promises. My debtors will not regret their trust. My associates will not question my word. My wife will not question my love. And my children will never fear that their father will not come home.

I choose gentleness. Nothing is won by force. I choose to be gentle. If I raise my voice, may it be only in praise. If I clench my fist, may it be only in prayer. If I make a demand, may it be only of myself.

I choose self-control. I am a spiritual being. After this body is dead, my spirit will soar. I refuse to let what will rot, rule the eternal. I choose self-control. I will be drunk only by joy. I will be impassioned only by my faith. I will be influenced only by God. I will be taught only by Christ. I choose self-control.

Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithful-ness, gentleness, and self-control. To these I commit my day. If I succeed, I will give thanks. If I fail, I will seek His grace. And then, when this day is done, I will place my head on my pillow and rest.

When I passed through this region, most of the guests -- once in spring and once in fall -- were long-range trekkers like myself, some of them pilgrims. I didn't notice any vacationers to speak of. I dealt with one cranky hotelier but his staff were helpful, nothing to create a bad impression of the region.

The scenery isn't the best the Le Puy route offers, but hiking memories are overwhelmingly positive. The three young men, hardly more than 20, who managed a hotel in Navarrenx with charm. Our extraordinary hostess in Bohoteguia. The chef who picked us up in Arthez and drove us to his resto. Madame Theux in Pimbo. When a hiker, Sister Sandrine, left her hiking pole decorated with religious medals at a resto on the main square in Éauze, the owner worked out where she'd be staying, called the priest there, and delivered the pole that evening. And I haven't even mentioned the joys afforded by me by fellow hikers through these stages as we grew into a tighter group, half focused on SJPP and half on SJC.

Afterthought: arriving in Aire sur l'Adour to see the riot of the flags of all of Europe on the bridge was inspiring.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We stayed Chez Nadine last year, and it was a pleasant experience with a good and generous dinner en famille. They have great pride in their region and its specialties, and we enjoyed their Armagnac. The accommodation was excellent and very comfortable. Nadine keeps a clear demarcation between the family and pilgrim areas and does not want people to go into her space without being invited. She got up to see us off on the road in the morning and gave me a shell which I still have.

That's what I found Chez Nadine.

Rebekah that must have been so deflating and annoying for you. I hope this does not happen too often.

@ Rebekah Scott - Sorry to hear this. I wish more pilgrims would read this post. It's too easy to walk day after day towards a new gîte or albergue and to finally arrive tired, hungry, and sweaty. This tends to make us conscious of our own needs and, by doing so, we are less conscious of the needs of those hosting us. And thanks for ending your post on a positive note. Well said in its entirety.

Tom

Eauze is in that part of France (past Condom and before reaching the Pyrenees foothills) that sees few walkers except the through-walkers -- less of the week or weekend French hiking groups that are the mainstay in the more scenic parts of the Le Puy route. So most of the overnight guests anywhere are of the tourist sort, and not pilgrims. It's the part of the Le Puy route where I grit my teeth and just plod on.

Unfortunately, every road the pilgrim walks has some warts, somewhere along the way. I hope your journey improves soon. Bon chemin!
I haven't experienced "warts" in that area at all. Had lovely pilgrim friendly accommodation.

Ah yes, Paddy's famous roasted chicken with a lemon in the cavity; it reminds me of the saying "turn lemons into lemonade" or in this case turn the left-over chicken into a curry dish.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ah yes, Paddy's famous roasted chicken with a lemon in the cavity; it reminds me of the saying "turn lemons into lemonade" or in this case turn the left-over chicken into a curry dish.
I heard a phrase on this site once and like to use it as I do the Camino, " A pilgrim is always grateful " . no matter!

When I passed through this region, most of the guests -- once in spring and once in fall -- were long-range trekkers like myself, some of them pilgrims. I didn't notice any vacationers to speak of. I dealt with one cranky hotelier but his staff were helpful, nothing to create a bad impression of the region.

The scenery isn't the best the Le Puy route offers, but hiking memories are overwhelmingly positive. The three young men, hardly more than 20, who managed a hotel in Navarrenx with charm. Our extraordinary hostess in Bohoteguia. The chef who picked us up in Arthez and drove us to his resto. Madame Theux in Pimbo. When a hiker, Sister Sandrine, left her hiking pole decorated with religious medals at a resto on the main square in Éauze, the owner worked out where she'd be staying, called the priest there, and delivered the pole that evening. And I haven't even mentioned the joys afforded by me by fellow hikers through these stages as we grew into a tighter group, half focused on SJPP and half on SJC.

Afterthought: arriving in Aire sur l'Adour to see the riot of the flags of all of Europe on the bridge was inspiring.
I ate some fantastic (communal) meals on the Le Puy route. Bohoteguia was one of the best. 22 people around a long table, eating and drinking and chatting on a warm late September evening. The hostess and the facilities were great to.

Hola Rebekah, the hospitality world has been experiencing your complaint on an increased basis. The city restaurants can demand a credit card number, unfortunately this option is not open to you. To the people involved with the above, hope you get caught in the rain on Friday! Rebekah I hope you and Paddy really enjoyed the chicken. I'll pack a bottle of vino tinto to share? M
I remember the owner of my favourite restaurant in Brighton would only accept a booking with a home (landline) phone number. No shows were treated to a phone call at 3am reminding them of their booking and asking whether they were still coming or should he let the staff go? Word soon spread!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Hi,

I stayed at Nadine's. It was not unpleasant. Dinner and accommodation were quite correct.

Nadine is a person who doesn't go unnoticed. I felt she was a generous person, caring about her pilgrims' well-being. She performs commercial demos in supermarkets, which seems to be consistent with her extravert personnality. Not everybody will go along with her, but isn'it a part of a Camino experience ?
I would stay again in her gite if I walked this way again.

The very few genuinely negative experiences I have had have involved interpersonal conflict, which has nearly always involved either temporary volunteer hospitaleros or people outside of the Camino infrastructures, usually because of some instant dislike of each other, which can happen anywhere, and so has nothing to do with the Camino.

I don't judge those who have given me any bad treatment for such reasons, nor do I assume at all that everyone will be subjected to similar, because quite apart from being a part of the Camino, it's simply a part of life that one must deal with from time to time -- when this happens on a pilgrimage where one is suddenly far more dependent on help and good will from others than usual, it is put into stark relief, and one must face the situation without one's usual safety nets and exit strategies.

But it's good to remember that one's personal antipathies will not be shared by others, and so are not a good yardstick for negative advice to others about a certain person or a certain albergue.

As for advice on how to be a pilgrim from non-pilgrims, we should be grateful for it, the outsider's perspective from those who love the Camino without knowing it can often be precious.

--

Otherwise everything NavyBlue said, even though I do not know that albergue nor Nadine personally.

I am sorry for you and your family! I would be fuming.. I hope you have other guests who are more considerate and appreciative. -- I will use your story as an example to share with my two teenage boys (and my 25 boy scouts), showing how important it is to consider others, have decent manners, and be reliable and trustworthy.

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back