• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"The Pillars of the Earth" and Camino de Santiago

D.Matthew

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2012, Portuguese 2018, Ingles 2022
"The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follet was recommended to me after I had walked the camino this past summer. It's a fictional historical novel centered around the construction of a cathedral in 12th century England. It's account of daily life and construction technology of that era has left me with a deep longing to read and study more from that time period.

My favorite part of the book was the account of Camino de Santiago during the 12th century. The bands of merry pilgrims listening to old tales from jongleurs is a practice I wish was still in existence. It was also interesting to read about the Moorish and Saracen influence in the south of Spain, and how that influenced cathedral design.

Have any of you read "The Pillars of the Earth"? If so, what are your thoughts? For those of you who have not, it's quite long, but a book I would strongly recommend to put you in the right mood (mindset) to walk back in time on Camino de Santiago. It's had a profound impact on me, as I'm already planning a second walk for the near future :) Having visited Cathedrals in Spain, France, England, and Italy, I can't wait to go back and see them again through the eyes of an aspiring 12th century stone mason apprentice :D

Buen Camino!

Drew

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
"The Pillars of the Earth" and Camino de Santiago

Thanks Drew for the recommendation. I will definitely put it on my reading list. Not sure if I will manage to read it before I set off for my Camino on 12 May. I like your idea of walking with your imagination going back in time as a peregrino or a stone mason maybe even a 12 century monk. This is my first Camino but I'm beginning to understand that the Way needs all of my senses, including my 6th sense - my imagination - to be on high alert.
Sandy

We have read and enjoyed this book some years ago. When you are in Santiago if look at the pillars, particularly when the sun catches them, you can see the many manons' marks. They are also visible on the stonework of the balconies etc of the museum.

Here are just a few that we photographed

Attachments

• mason's mark.jpg
    mason's mark.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 1,540
  • masons' marks.jpg
    masons' marks.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 1,543
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, I've read it twice, plus the sequel a World without End. The book taught me so much about these medieval cathedrals and one of my favourite pastimes, once in a cathedral, was checking out the stonemasons symbols. I've loads of photos of them. Anne

Pillars of the Earth and its sequel are two of my favourite books and I've read them more than once. I too felt a connection to the Camino, through them. Indeed, there were things I saw on the Camino that I understood because I read Pillars. Excellent recommendation, perhaps as a download to your iPhone/iPad/kindle for reading along The Way!!!

Grace

I have read both wonderful books and if you are looking for another in the same vein try:
Cathedral of the Sea by Ildefonso Falcones about the building of Barcelona's basilica of Santa Maria.
It took me right into the medieval times and I look forward to seeing the Basilica next week when I arrive in Barcelona to start my Camino Aragones.
Excited!
Heather

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes, I love those books! There is a board game based on the books, too, which is a lot of fun and if you're a dreamer like me, very immersive :D

There is Ridley Scott production of 'The Pillars of the Earth' available on DVD (8 episodes/hours).
I love the story.

Absolutely captivating books. The Pillars of The Earth is in my top ten books ever read.

Not on the same scale or depth, but I'm currently reading and enjoying 'The Cockleshell Pilgrim'. It's about a mediaeval pilgrimage to Santiago and is a lot shorter, but still a fascinating read and infused with imagery. Available at CSJ website.

I read Cathedral of the Sea by Ildefonso Falcones, recommended above, but personally I found this book rather annoying. I didn't like the politically correct perspective of the 21st century and character development was thin, plus the descriptions of battles and politics went on a little too much.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Reading "Pillars of the Earth" years ago was one of the things that got me longing to walk the Camino in the first place! Its a wonderful book.

I read "The Pillars of the Earth" 20 years ago (March 1993) and remembered it so precisely because it was during a blizzard snowstorm and I was by myself on my apartment. I would have gone nuts if not for this amazing book! I later let somebody borrowed my copy and that was the last I saw of it (why people do that....? :? ). I always imagine the Cathedral in Burgos as the "real" inspiration for this book :wink: .

If you are into misteries, Ellis Peters is fantastic author as far as Middle Ages settings and absorbing trama.

Wow, I'd like to thank everyone for their feedback and book suggestions! I plan on starting "World without End" this week, and would love to follow with "Cathedral of the Sea". I'm thinking I'll be due for another Camino towards the end.

Tia Valeria, thanks for posting the pictures. I remember seeing those mason marks while inside the cathedral in Santiago, but didn't pay them much mind. I had forgotten until I saw your images, thanks much!

annakappa, would you be willing to share any of your photos? I'd love to see them. :D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
D.Matthew said:
annakappa, would you be willing to share any of your photos? I'd love to see them. :D
Give me a couple of days and I'll search for them. Actually I think that husband (fraluchi) has them in his files.
These stone masons marks are fascinating. It really takes you back to associate yourself with that man who, one thousand years or more, carved that pillar and then left his personal mark. There are a lot at Eunate too, besides all the cathedrals and lots of churches along the Way. Anne

Fabulous books (I read it and the sequel). In fact, I first read it while flying back to the states from my first Camino. Picked up a copy in the Madrid airport.

annakappa said:
D.Matthew said:
Give me a couple of days and I'll search for them. Actually I think that husband (fraluchi) has them in his files.
These stone masons marks are fascinating. It really takes you back to associate yourself with that man who, one thousand years or more, carved that pillar and then left his personal mark. There are a lot at Eunate too, besides all the cathedrals and lots of churches along the Way. Anne

That would be great. Thanks for taking a look!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Amazing book, one of the best (and saddest) I've ever read.
I may have to re-read it, to pay more attention to all the Santiago connections.

For those who enjoyed the book, also check "The Cathedral of the Sea", about the construction of Santa Maria Del Mar in Barcelona. Equally beautiful and sad.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
One of the few I have read more than two times--others being 'all of Tolkien', Moby Dick, and Ivanhoe,

I was totally fascinated by the building of the cathedrals over decades, the personalities of those doing the work, the trials and tribulations associated with such an undertaking, and the "one upmanship" that came into play as a result of human nature.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back