• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Pomeranian Way of St James

gachg

Dear forum,
Dear pilgrims,

I would like to draw attention here to the Pomeranian Way of St James , which is revitalized currently in the southern Baltic. The path extends from Kretinga in Lithuania to Rostock in Mecklenburg- Vorpommern. The signage is mostly continuously present, even accommodations are relatively easy to find. The length of the pilgrims path is over 1100 km, 46 stages, through four different countries and historic cities like Kaliningrad, Gdansk, Szczeczin and Rostock. Tourist guides and map material are available in Tourist Informations along the route. Visit us on Facebook (Pomeranian Way of St. James) or on www.en.re-create.pl

The University of Greifswald supports this project as a project partner. The whole project is co-financed by the European Union.

As part of the project work, we reflect as a university the subject of pilgrimage from a scientific point of view. Therefore, I would like to invite you, as a pilgrim friend to a survey. The link for this is http://141.53.8.92/evasys/online.php?p=camino1

With your cooperation you would support the research on the topic of pilgrims and contribute to the revitalization of old pilgrimage routes. Participation in the online survey is absolutely anonymous. The results will be used for research purposes only.

I thank you for your participation in advance. If you have any questions about the Pomeranian St James, or need information on this, I will be happy to help.

Kind regards,

Gabriel Gach

(University of Greifswald, Institute of Geography)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This is a very interesting project, not least because it is grounded in current events. The current fracas in Ukraine is all about "where is Europe/who is a European?" The people involved in this Via Baltica / Vorpommern Jakobsweg project have voted strongly that they consider themselves European, and want to strengthen and emphasize that connection using the European cultural routes - the Camino routes. The link cited above leads to an extensive website, mostly translated into English, including maps and route directions. It appears they are still in the process of organizing accommodations.

I'm having difficulty in finding a detailed route description or route map for the Lithuanian bit (from Kretinga). Is it out there?

Aidas

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm having difficulty in finding a detailed route description or route map for the Lithuanian bit (from Kretinga).
It appeared to me, that the further east one went, the less well-defined/well-developed the route is. But it also appeared that the route was being constructed by re-marking existing shorter segments. So it's likely that Lithuania has some existing trails. The website has contact info for the route organizers, who would have much more information.

It appeared to me, that the further east one went, the less well-defined/well-developed the route is. But it also appeared that the route was being constructed by re-marking existing shorter segments. So it's likely that Lithuania has some existing trails. The website has contact info for the route organizers, who would have much more information.

I contacted the Kretinga tourism office. Unfortunately, they don't have anything on the web (they said the cannot share the brochures and maps because of copyright issues...). From what I understand, they're in the middle of a public procurement procedure where someone will mark sights along the route (my guess that it will be shells on the churches along the way). So, it seems that they're not really far along. I'm thinking they need some "vigilante" help, i.e. someone to come along with some cans of yellow paint and mark the asfalt.

The main problem I'm thinking is that the traditional way would have been to go through the Konigsberg region. With Russia there that doesn't seem like an option... to dangerous, too unstable, too corrupt to walk through there.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Please find a detailed route description under http://www.en.re-create.pl/mapa2/mapa_main.html
The way is also marked by yellow shells!

Thank you! I'll make sure to see if there are any waymarkers next time I'm in the neighborhood. It's too bad they chose to make the Way along the busiest road from Kretinga to Klaipeda. Totally unsafe, and not very pretty. There's much better, more scenic and safer routes (and just as direct) that pass through old villages with interesting history and loaded with charm.

Like I mentioned earlier, for all intents and purposes, any pilgrim going along this route is going to have to think long and hard before crossing over into to part of the Couronian spit administered by Russia. Dangerous. And, unfortunately, there's no longer a Klaipeda - Gdansk ferry.

Looks like this part of the Pomeranian route is going to be sparsely travelled. That's a shame.

Yes, this is true. Meanwhile, the focus in the revitalization espacially as a german partner was on the longer polish and german part of the route, that is completely signed and well situated. Unfortunatelly we had no responsibility for the lithuanian part, what was the job of the lithuanian partners. And yes, the situation with the russian part is difficult, but there was a international pilgrimage going from Kaliningrad to Gdansk laast month by a group of cyclists and they were very satisfied.

Looks like this part of the Pomeranian route is going to be sparsely travelled.
I suspect this is a typical situation in the early days of any new walking route. It's easy for us today to forget that even the Camino Frances in Spain, much less the route from Le Puy, were very lightly walked in the 1970's and 1980's. I'm sure the original markers of those routes would be absolutely astonished at the numbers walking them these days. The St Olaf Way in Norway is only a few years further along in the development process, and is already seeing small steady increases in interest, number of walkers, and corresponding infrastructure.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back