Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Published on Amazon
Guide to the 16 main caminos with maps, pictures, hyperlinks and other information.

The Pope has formally been invited to Santiago in 2022

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
The president of Galicia was in the Vatican the other day and invited the pope to come visit Santiago in 2022 (holy year). He has not said yes yet (at least not publicly), but I think we can say that there is more than a 50% chance that he will come to Santiago in 2022.

Published on Amazon
Guide to the 16 main caminos with maps, pictures, hyperlinks and other information.
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

kelleymac

Veteran Member
Year of past OR future Camino
March/April 2015, Late April 2016, Sept/Oct 2017, April 2019.
I went to Philadelphia to see Pope Francis, but our bus was late, and we ended up not able to get anywhere near the Pope. But we did have a wonderful experience of watching mass on huge screens in the middle of the city, with no cars at all, and everyone's voices together in prayer and song echoing off the buildings.--- But still-- No Pope Francis! Time to head to Santiago! (Although, I suppose I could get to Rome and find him there....) :)

Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
CF- Finisterre-Muxia 03/17; Camino SK 10/17; Norte 03/18; Ingles 11/18; Augusta 03/19
The president of Galicia was in the Vatican the other day and invited the pope to come visit Santiago in 2022 (holy year). He has not said yes yet (at least not publicly), but I think we can say that there is more than a 50% chance that he will come to Santiago in 2022.

What month would be the most likely? Easter?

John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
CF(2012) Le Puy/CF (2015) Portugues (2017) Norte (2018) CF (2019) VDLP?
If I may make a recommendation to see the Pope in his motorcade. I was living in Mexico City when he came in February 2016. He motorcade was driving up Avenida Patriotismo which our terrace looked out upon. It is set back off the street but we can see a pretty good portion. We decided to watch from our terrace as there was a massive crowd on both sides of the street. You could here the roar of the people getting louder so we quickly went out to the terrace thinking we would have a nice view as Pope slowly went by in the "Popemobile". Suddenly the cars of the motorcade came wizzing by, going at least 40kph. Then there was the Pope. Thankfully I did not blink or I probably would have missed him. He was also waving to the crowd on the opposite side of the street when he went by so we didn't even get to see his smiling face:(.
So if you are planning to see him in Santiago and want to see him in his motorcade get there early or get a good and high vantage point right on the street.

Oh, boy.

I’m planning my next Camino Frances (going through Somport??) starting mid May next year. I was already thinking of the bed race due to albergues having had to close due to the virus. It is an honor beyond honors to have the Pope visit Galicia, but . . .

BTW, would Pope Frances’ visit compel a sculptor to create a monument in honor of his visit, as was done for Pope John Paul 2 at Monte de Gozo? Yikes, the discussion in this forum on that monument is fast and furious.

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
Yes, I saw him there, a couple of times. The crowds are a predictable and manageable size and Rome is a pretty fascinating ruin to visit.
I was on a tour of Italy a few years ago and was really eager to see the Vatican in Rome. Seeing the Sisteen chapel was very nice, but the cathedral was closed because the Pope was there. We did get to see him riding around and waving to the crowd in his Popemobile.

Faye Walker

Veteran Member
CF 2014, CF 2018, CP 2019 from Coimbra
What month would be the most likely? Easter?
I would think they would try for July, close to the moveable feast for the Ano Xacobeo… but who knows? It may be that nothing is very likely as the papal office may be overwhelmed with requests coming out of COVID…

Sunchi

Great news! It will be a busy year 2022!

This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.
Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.

witsendwv

(2015)
We were blessed in Rome in 2019. We were an arms length away. I don’t think it could get any better except maybe in SdC.
1623892486612.jpeg
I was on a tour of Italy a few years ago and was really eager to see the Vatican in Rome. Seeing the Sisteen chapel was very nice, but the cathedral was closed because the Pope was there. We did get to see him riding around and waving to the crowd in his Popemobile.

kelleymac

Veteran Member
March/April 2015, Late April 2016, Sept/Oct 2017, April 2019.
Yes, I saw him there, a couple of times. The crowds are a predictable and manageable size and Rome is a pretty fascinating ruin to visit.
I lived in Monte Verdi (neighborhood in Rome) in 1999-- I used to bring my 18 month old son to run at St. Peter's Piazza and we sat on the floor in the cathedral to learn colors. The Italians were all wonderful with him wherever we went.-- I've been wanting to go back ever since. :)

Last edited:

Travelers1802

French Route from SJPDP to SDC: 2014 and 2018

Awesome!

Kanga

Staff member
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
Well of course - he speaks Spanish! Attributed to Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor ; "To women I speak Italian, to men in French, to my horse in German - but to God, to God I speak in Spanish!"

Quote slightly rearranged for purposes of effect.

I am not a Catholic but still think It would be nice if the Pope attended a Pilgrim's Mass at the Cathedral, and blessed those who have walked. I suppose it will be like most things (especially post Covid) and have to be ticketed. But I can imagine Obradoiro Square packed out and fitted with big TV screens.

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Ourense to Santiago (2019), CF: (2014, 2004, 2002, 2001). On to Fisterra, (2002, 4, 14).
Well of course - he speaks Spanish! Attributed to Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor ; "To women I speak Italian, to men in French, to my horse in German - but to God, to God I speak in Spanish!"

Quote slightly rearranged for purposes of effect.

I am not a Catholic but still think It would be nice if the Pope attended a Pilgrim's Mass at the Cathedral, and blessed those who have walked. I suppose it will be like most things (especially post Covid) and have to be ticketed. But I can imagine Obradoiro Square packed out and fitted with big TV screens.

I’m not Catholic either but I’d love to see the Pope in Santiago.

Prayerfully, he’ll be there July 25, 2022.

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads