• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Power of Community: THIS is the Camino!

Time of past OR future Camino
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
In another thread, @jozero posted this link:

It's an amazing story. And a powerful example of why this walk is as transformative as it is. As we walk, we can transcend our limited selves and touch something so much bigger and much more joyful and loving.

And it's not just these guys. You all have stories, I'm sure. I would love to read them!
What pushed you over the edge into the arms of community? And how did you change as a result?

(And heartfelt thanks to you, @jozero, for posting this in the first place!)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
One of the most amazing things I've ever seen. But I'll have to answer the questions another time.

@Viranani , a heartfelt thank you for bringing this clip (originally offered by @jozero) to the fore.

All I can say at present is this: a representative of the camino community I encountered on day one out of Le Puy I continued to encounter regularly until I was at Burgos wondering what to do following an injury. And others of the camino community I encountered in that last week in Spain in mid May have continued to keep in touch.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It's an amazing video isn't it? Inspiring

I've watched it three times now. Tears welling up... I had to call my wife to come and watch it with me.

Indeed it's a great example of community, of the power of the Camino community, love, friendship, faith.... inspiring others.

But there's one element that goes around in my head. If I was Justin, could I have asked my friends to do this?

Please do not read this in any way as being critical of this amazing achievement. It's more an observation of my own feelings and reactions. I guess it has me questioning myself. Why couldn't I ask others to help me? What fear is it that would stop me asking?

A lot has come up for me after watching this--and one thing that stands out is the difference between out individualist society and the community that is fostered along the way as we walk the Camino. it's one of the things that's such an 'adjustment' (for me anyway, maybe not for others?) at the end of the journey. I think it's more how we're meant to live, but generally don't.

Why couldn't I ask others to help me? What fear is it that would stop me asking?
Glad you brought this up @Robo, because I've been asking myself the same thing.
And reflecting about how when I've most needed help on the Camino I was hesitant to ask, or embarrassed by an offering. Example: March this year, in Contreras, just North of Santo Domingo de Silos. I hadn't intended to be there and more or less knew where I was going, but was definitely 'way off course.' I was walking alone, with virtually no Spanish. But in spite of the presence of many helpful elders, I wanted just keep walking--not wanting to be a burden, to 'get out of the hair' of the elderly lady and her neighbors who were cleaning up after the town fiesta. She had to tell me to wait several times so that some local guys could come and draw me a map, and help me on my way.
In retrospect that embarrassed wanting to run off was more than a little off course!;)

And another grateful reflection that's come up is about this Forum, because 'surprising' acts of community happen here all the time--helping us when we can't do it alone. it's no small thing.
Two examples stand out for me in the last year alone:
  • @peregrina2000 called a pension for me when I was planning the St Olav--and set things up perfectly. Without my asking (I wouldn't/couldn't have--it's that embarrassment thing again). I was blown away.
  • @Giselleontour went through a fair amount of trouble to buy a pair of shoes in Europe that I couldn't find in the USA--it was an wonderful act of kindness, and my feet are still thanking her.
Here on the Forum, we're not (potentially) so different from all those wonderful people carrying Jason up to La Faba........just not so physically in touch. It's no small thing.
Thing is, can we let them? ;)

If I was Justin, could I have asked my friends to do this?
When I read Robo's comment, I was reminded of the biblical expression: "It is better to give than to receive." What immediately went through my mind was, "and it's a lot easier too." So we do not need to admit to ourselves that we have needs that we cannot fulfill for ourselves. That we need others.
When I was in the throes of trying to complete a graduate degree with no funding but what I could earn, my father telephoned me and inquired,"Would you ask me for money if you needed it?" My immediate and emphatic reply was, "Of course not." But some time later he called again and asked, "What would you say if I gave you x amount of money for Christmas?" I replied, "Thank you very much." So there can be ways for family and special friends to be sensitive to our needs and to get around our stubborn pride and independence, if we will let them.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When I read Robo's comment, I was reminded of the biblical expression: "It is better to give than to receive." What immediately went through my mind was, "and it's a lot easier too." So we do not need to admit to ourselves that we have needs that we cannot fulfill for ourselves. That we need others.

That's the bit I'm struggling with @Albertagirl. As Justin's friends were exhausted and throwing up due to the exertion. What was that special bond that stopped them just giving up? I've seen and been part of that in a 'previous life'. The team work, commitment to the group, focus on the task however great. No quitting. Never even an option.

But this is very different. Because one member of the team is totally reliant on the others. And it would have been so easy for Justin to see what was going on around him and just say, sorry guys, this was a bad idea. Let's stop.

I'm remembering something that happened in Calgary a few years ago. A high school class had a class outing to the Columbia Icefields in the Rocky Mountains. They took with them, on a stretcher, a handicapped classmate who could not walk. As I remember it, it was no big deal to them. He was part of the class, so he went too. That boy, and Justin, were able to live quality lives in community because those around them and close to them accepted them as part of the community. It was wonderful for me to see in the presentation the happiness in the lives of Justin and Patrick that grew out of this intensely communal experience. There are groups in my area who do this for persons with very limited mobility, take them into the mountains to enjoy the beauty of the outdoors. It is a way of creating and renewing community. We need to learn to live this way, as givers and receivers.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
But this is very different. Because one member of the team is totally reliant on the others. And it would have been so easy for Justin to see what was going on around him and just say, sorry guys, this was a bad idea. Let's stop.
I see what you're getting at @Robo, good point. And maybe he did? We don't know.

@Albertagirl, our posts went up simultaneously--beautiful.

I thought it was the most moving video I've seen, it brought tears to my eyes. I thought getting myself to SDC was a challenge but this was incredible.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yeah, I know. Sorry @vegodritch. (But not... :D)
I watched it again last night with a friend and we were both damp-eyed.

That footage of everyone on the path to O Cebreiro...this time what shone out was the joy in people's faces to be able to help. I think that's the ultimate answer to your question, @Robo.

And at the end, the challenge: "Who are you going to carry?" It's incredibly moving to reflect about that.

I thought I'd get this thing aimed back in the direction that Viranani wanted it to go in the beginning.

Prepare to be really bored.

What pushed you over the edge into the arms of community?

At the end of 2011 I retired from a lifetime of jobs that were performed while "chained" to a desk. I was still relatively young, (well, not toooo old), and wanted a bit of adventure in life. I had heard about that camino thing, and the more I learned, the more it seemed like it would really be a fun thing to do.

I did it. In 2012 I walked from Porto to Santiago. I was the the most amazing thing I had ever done. I've done 3 other camino adventures since then and am planning a bigger one in the early spring.

I've been the recipient of much community kindness on my caminos. It was nothing that I needed to get by, I would have physically made it to Santiago (or whatever destination). For that, I've needed no ones help (thanks to the "above"). But the friendship and comradeship shown to me on the trail has been immense. It has provided me with immense happiness and joy and I have felt my soul lifted up by this kindness just like Justin and his wheel chair was lifted up O Cebreiro. And this includes meeting Viranani one evening in Santiago.

And how did you change as a result?

How did I change? I find I'm more calm and tolerant now . . . . . . or maybe I'm just older.

Also, I find that all I do is think about the camino. But it seems to be infectious. I had 5 people (including my wife) go with me on guided trip from Sarria to Santiago. My nephew went with me on the second half of the Camino Frances. I have a few other friends who are now wanting to take this same adventure. Maybe they think their soul will be lifted like mine.

Bored? Hardly. I think you speak for many of us, @DurhamParish.
It has provided me with immense happiness and joy and I have felt my soul lifted up by this kindness just like Justin and his wheel chair was lifted up O Cebreiro.
My friend and I were talking after watching this last night, and came to the conclusion that the offerings we all make to each other along the Camino are the one of he main ways that it works its magic.
And you say that so well @DurhamParish--in fact all of us lift each other up out there on the road, and here too. The heartfelt connection really brings the best out in us--as that video showed so dramatically.

Habit is stubborn and personality change comes slowly, but I find I'm more trusting and more open-minded as a result of walking, experiencing challenge, opening to need, and being willing to receive the help I needed when need was there.

(Off topic, but if you ever have a chance to meet up with other Forum members in Santiago at the Tertuila or wherever, jump at it--you meet the best people! DP, it's no surprise your friends and family are following in your footsteps--you are a very good ambassador of what makes the Camino special.)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back