• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Pre-Camino Time Warp Begins

• Thread starter Deleted member 67185
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67185

The title of the thread is what I have formally labeled this final 30-day period prior to Camino Departure.

The first time I left, I entered this period of time thinking of it as a 'countdown'. . . that is until the day before heading to the airport when I just shook my head and asked myself, "Where did all the time go?" That last month had started out with my feeling like I still had a ton of time left to get ready and packed and organized. Yes, I was all set and packed and ready to go, long before that last 30 days ended, but that is aside from the point.

The night before leaving home, I almost felt like double checking the calendar to make sure the time for heading to Spain was at hand. :)

I have no doubt that this phenomenon will happen this year, too.

Why is it that when you are a kid, big events like Christmas - with all of its anticipation - makes time crawl; but as an adult, the same anticipated event creates the time go into warp speed? Maybe it has to do with the same way I now feel with birthdays.....What??, didn't I just HAVE a birthday?"

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
The title of the thread is what I have formally labeled this final 30-day period prior to Camino Departure.

The first time I left, I entered this period of time thinking of it as a 'countdown'. . . that is until the day before heading to the airport when I just shook my head and asked myself, "Where did all the time go?" That last month had started out with my feeling like I still had a ton of time left to get ready and packed and organized. Yes, I was all set and packed and ready to go, long before that last 30 days ended, but that is aside from the point.

The night before leaving home, I almost felt like double checking the calendar to make sure the time for heading to Spain was at hand. :)

I have no doubt that this phenomenon will happen this year, too.

Why is it that when you are a kid, big events like Christmas - with all of its anticipation - makes time crawl; but as an adult, the same anticipated event creates the time go into warp speed? Maybe it has to do with the same way I now feel with birthdays.....What??, didn't I just HAVE a birthday?"
My 30 day countdown begins a week from tomorrow. Each day I think I have plenty of time and 30 seconds later I think I am not ready to go. Haven't trained enough, the decision to wear trail runners in the winter was complete madness, my bag is going to weigh too much and blah, blah and more blah. Then I think, you have done this before and everything will melt away the moment you take your first step, then I think ugggggg I have to walk up that F##king hill right off the bat. Why am I torturing my 65 year old body, mind and spirit??? Then I just get into bed and can't sleep because I can't wait to go!! Have a wonderful, fantastic camino with your wonderful wife. The buenest of Buen Caminos to you both.

My countdown is nearly over. A week from today I will be on the plane to Lisbon and Porto. Finally printed my packing list and laid everything out yesterday figuring if I had forgotten something obvious I could see it and still get it in time. Decided to back off of the training this week to give myself a rest. Have struggled to decide which shoes to bring. Decided on two pair, 1 waterproof and the other not. My wife didn't want me to go with the second pair as old as they were so she bought me a new pair. They didn't require any breaking in the first time but I need to walk them 10 or 15 miles at least to be sure they DON'T require breaking in this time! Downloaded maps onto Google offline. Trying to double check my expected waypoints. Got a course of Cipro from my doctor just in case. Can't find my Camino book for reading! And I don't want to spend another $18. I'm doing this solo so I will have some books on my phone to listen to but also expect to spend a lot of time enjoying the scenery along with the beautiful Coast. Still wondering how much rain I will get? I'm trying to decide if I want to do any posting to social media along the way. Seems a little crass to do that, but I may use Polarsteps, an app that lets me create a GPS track and blog work pictures accessible only to those I invite. Every once in awhile I stop and wonder, as others in this thread have done, where has all the time gone. But I am looking forward to this as it marks my 70th birthday. Oddly the proximity makes me both happy and sad. Happy because I know I will enjoy it, and sad because too soon it will be over. I suppose that combination is a good mix for a pilgrimage. And who knows, maybe I'll do it all again when I'm 80!

My countdown is nearly over. A week from today I will be on the plane to Lisbon and Porto. Finally printed my packing list and laid everything out yesterday figuring if I had forgotten something obvious I could see it and still get it in time. Decided to back off of the training this week to give myself a rest. Have struggled to decide which shoes to bring. Decided on two pair, 1 waterproof and the other not. My wife didn't want me to go with the second pair as old as they were so she bought me a new pair. They didn't require any breaking in the first time but I need to walk them 10 or 15 miles at least to be sure they DON'T require breaking in this time! Downloaded maps onto Google offline. Trying to double check my expected waypoints. Got a course of Cipro from my doctor just in case. Can't find my Camino book for reading! And I don't want to spend another $18. I'm doing this solo so I will have some books on my phone to listen to but also expect to spend a lot of time enjoying the scenery along with the beautiful Coast. Still wondering how much rain I will get? I'm trying to decide if I want to do any posting to social media along the way. Seems a little crass to do that, but I may use Polarsteps, an app that lets me create a GPS track and blog work pictures accessible only to those I invite. Every once in awhile I stop and wonder, as others in this thread have done, where has all the time gone. But I am looking forward to this as it marks my 70th birthday. Oddly the proximity makes me both happy and sad. Happy because I know I will enjoy it, and sad because too soon it will be over. I suppose that combination is a good mix for a pilgrimage. And who knows, maybe I'll do it all again when I'm 80!

Sitting here in Torres del Rio with my beer. The 30 day countdown went well until they changed my flight to later. That meant I would miss all my connections and reservations. Important ones like Orisson. Romcevalles etc
O Joy. So I spent a wonderful day before I left on the internet stress to max. 2days straight travel and there I was at St.J
30 days forgotten. I am happy.........

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Why wait till 80? Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@davebugg last year when I set out on my Camino Madrid I was looking forward to hopefully connecting with you when I got to Leon. Obviously that didn’t happen...... now you’re on your way again while our family has a “consolidate finances” year. So please enjoy every step for me - maybe I’ll get to meet the legend next time.

@davebugg last year when I set out on my Camino Madrid I was looking forward to hopefully connecting with you when I got to Leon. Obviously that didn’t happen...... now you’re on your way again while our family has a “consolidate finances” year. So please enjoy every step for me - maybe I’ll get to meet the legend next time.

I hope we do get to meet sometime. And it'll be me meeting a legend :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.