• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The pretending to be deaf scam

Status
Not open for further replies.

margritdv

this Morning On the camino trail from Sarria just before Morgade a group of young women were " working" the perrigrino's.
They stopped people and asked them for their name and postcode etc so at first instance it looked like a Camino survey or whatever however they pretend to be deaf and than ask you to donate pointing at an ear on the paperwork... It's the darkest part of the path there! No way yo see what is all about...I saw someone donate 20 euro! Very generous but these ladies absolutely are not deaf and are scammers so pls keep your donations for those who really need it! I know as when they thought everybody had left they were talking and laughing in a very different way than when they pretended to be deaf.
When I addressed this issue with the Albergue keeper in Morgade he told me that police had been informed but can not do much as you are not being Robbed or such and you out of free will give a donation.
just thought to let people know.
bon Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I gave a few Euros and left no information. I also knew it was a scam. It's not up to me to make judgments.

We saw the same thing happen in April while we were walking. There other thing I witnessed in Santiago near the cathedral beggars kneeling with eyes to the ground an a cup held out for money. I saw the group of them (about 8) later away from the cathedral sharing a large picnic lunch and bottles of wine. An hour later they were back at their posts in their humble positions. I have traveled to many places and have witnessed this in many places. In Africa, Romania, Holland and Albania to name a few places. Sometimes I give, but mostly not. I have had my pockets picked in beautiful places. It part of the traveling experience.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
this Morning On the camino trail from Sarria just before Morgade a group of young women were " working" the perrigrino's.
They stopped people and asked them for their name and postcode etc so at first instance it looked like a Camino survey or whatever however they pretend to be deaf and than ask you to donate pointing at an ear on the paperwork... It's the darkest part of the path there! No way yo see what is all about...I saw someone donate 20 euro! Very generous but these ladies absolutely are not deaf and are scammers so pls keep your donations for those who really need it! I know as when they thought everybody had left they were talking and laughing in a very different way than when they pretended to be deaf.
When I addressed this issue with the Albergue keeper in Morgade he told me that police had been informed but can not do much as you are not being Robbed or such and you out of free will give a donation.
just thought to let people know.
bon Camino
that's the problem in Spain beggars /scammers have free range. It's the same when the beggars come at your table in a restaurant and the owners do nothing.

Edited by Moderator

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
They do more than scam. They have been known to snatch wallets or money, pickpocket, and intimidate those who do not donate. Until the Camino is unproductive for them, they will be there!!
Intimidation was "practiced" on me in October 2014, on the Alto do Riocabo shortly after leaving San Xil (Triacastela). I was alone and a woman came around a curve with clipboard clutched. I knew she was going to approach me -- when I moved away from her, she moved as well - several times. When she got nearer, and I said No! quite firmly, she came closer and hit her clipboard very close to my face. I tried not to react, and kept walking.

But I've been thinking how to handle this situation in the future. If I were to take my camera out and point it at the person from a distance, would that be a deterrent or a mistake? I've walked in the Fall, when there are fewer people. Will I find this same thing in May - June with more walkers? Any suggestions as to how a person - particularly a woman with white hair, walking alone can handle this without repercussions?

how a person walking alone can handle this without repercussions?
There is not a good answer, I think. These thieves can be very dangerous. I suspect that they will do anything that they think they can get away with. One possibility is to put a smart phone on camera or record, get what you can on tape, and if it is criminal, take the recording to the police. Begging is not criminal, so if the encounter is just unpleasant, the police will brush you off. If you are assaulted or robbed, your recorded evidence may spark their interest. As I said, there is not a good answer.

This is fast becoming a major problem all along the Camino Frances.
Unless the Guardian Civil gets proactive...it will only escalate.

It would help if Pilgrims would report aggressive behavior directly to the police..rather than just pass it off as unpleasant.

A volume of first person pilgrim reports will have an impression on the authorities.
Reporting to each other and through albergues never reach the important official report stage.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

It would help if Pilgrims would report aggressive behavior directly to the police..rather than just pass it off as unpleasant.

A volume of first person pilgrim reports will have an impression on the authorities.
Reporting to each other and through albergues never reach the important official report stage.

When I was on the Camino last year there were police notices pinned up in nearly every albergue and bar once we crossed into Galicia, specifically warning pilgrims about this scam. Even so I saw people handing over money to a couple of women operating the scam. I can't now remember whether the notice was in Spanish only.

If I were to take my camera out and point it at the person from a distance, would that be a deterrent or a mistake?
I would be very wary of doing anything that might antagonize these people. When I saw a pair of them operating last year there was a car parked nearby with a couple of men in it, clearly waiting for the women and/or as backup. I would not try pointing a camera, probably best to just move on as quickly as possible (although I confess I did mutter "police" as I passed!)

Hi

I can across this 'deaf' mob back in 2014, just past Sarria and then saw them all later in the day gathered near Morgade talking amongst themselves. I recall some pilgrims gave generous donations and when I refused they became quite agitated. Looks like a lucrative business that continues to this day.

Regards

Ralph D

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yeah, I think I got scammed too, near the Cathedral in Santiago... this young lady approached me, and thrust the clipboard at me, pointing to the bits I had to read.... which I did and contributed.

Later, I saw the group of young gals again, muttering (??) to each other, with their clipboards, approaching other people.

Did I get scammed, probably, but am not sure..

I've seen them 2 years running (at O Cebreiro and Toxibo). I naively got ripped off the 1st time. The second time I actually put my arm out to give myself some space, put my head down and kept walking, fast.
I'm sorry not to have done this, especially since the second time the 'begging' was pretty in-your-face aggressive.

I would be very wary of doing anything that might antagonize these people. When I saw a pair of them operating last year there was a car parked nearby with a couple of men in it, clearly waiting for the women and/or as backup. I would not try pointing a camera, probably best to just move on as quickly as possible (although I confess I did mutter "police" as I passed!)
Just prior to my experience above, a car drove past me going the opposite way - man driving slowly talking into a device (phone or something). When I saw the woman come around the curve with her clipboard, I was pretty sure they were working together. I didn't report it, since it didn't seem reportable at that time, and there were no towns nearby. I will do so next time!
Do I understand that they have now "branched out" beyond Galicia?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Have yet to walk the Camino but lots of panhandling experience from living in a big city. If you are willing to do a bit of acting, there are a few things that work:
1. The "No habla Espanol" angle. May need to follow up with "No speak the English". It helps if you google a few rare languages and work up some gibberish that sounds reasonably like a language that matches your physical appearance. Pretend you don't understand the pantomime about being deaf and wanting money that may ensue. Just smile and say "No habla Espanol...buen camino!" over and over. Be careful, if you break character they get real mad.
2. If you see them in advance, talk to yourself. When they approach, quickly turn your head to one side and say "Quite Ethel, I am talking to the pretty young lady". Waving your hands and talking with your hands very emphatically before they approach will improve your success.

3. (this one is serious) After years of seeing it you just get used to it and can give them a nod and keep walking and act like you are late. If they sense fear or empathy or hesitation they will pounce. You will occasionally encounter a very aggressive panhandler and then your best bet is to walk into a business or veer into a big crowd of people.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just finished the Camino Frances. Although I did not experience this problem, I did notice a police presence in the San Xil area. Perhaps this problem is being taken seriously now.

I like the above comment about the problem will only escalate.....how true. This problem may soon turn into robberies with the robbers cohorts posted around acting as look outs. Dishonest corrupt people will do whatever to line their pockets. The passport issuers and the albergue owners need to take more of an initiative to warn pilgrims. Waiting for the Police to act is not the best idea. If things get worse, business will simply dry up.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The people operating this scam are desperate, never learned, most likely, another way of life. Something to bear in mind ... SY

Have yet to walk the Camino but lots of panhandling experience from living in a big city. If you are willing to do a bit of acting, there are a few things that work:
Thanks for the suggestions, but these folks are not like panhandlers in cities. They are WORKING the Camino and targeting anyone who walks it. But apparently, still confined to Galicia.

I don't recall where I heard this, but someone reported that they tried communicating with one of the clipboard women using sign language and she immediately turned and walked away. It might be worth learning a few basic sayings in sign language.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We think that everyone has been fully warned of the scam. It is a common scam in all major cities in Europe now.

It is not a Spanish issue.... The Spanish authorities are very professional and care about things that bother pilgrims.
It has come to the Camino because many Pilgrims carry cash and "tend" to be generous....and are polite and do not want to say NO
The difference is that they are often confronting folks in isolated places on the trails.
It is not a good thing.
It will only stop when when the source of euro stops.
Make your decision in advance how you will handle it if you are confronted....
Report it to the Guardia Civil if you can...they are great and will be happy to hear from you.

Most important details have been posted on this subject at this point.
We are closing the thread for further posting to avoid repetition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.