• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The priest of San Juan de Ortega (D. José Maria has died)

Javier

2008-02-26-alonso.jpg

De Jacobeo.net.-

Muere José María Alonso Marroquí

El Camino de Santiago ha sufrido este fin de semana una gran pérdida. El párroco de San Juan de Ortega durante los últimos treinta años ha fallecido a los 81 años de edad. El funeral, hoy lunes a las 17 h en su pueblo natal, Fuentebureba.

Tras de sí deja una ruta jacobea transformada y revitalizada. Allí estuvo D. José María acogiendo peregrinos desde mucho antes de que llegara el Xacobeo o el Papa Juan Pablo II. También acogió con cariño en varias ocasiones, a un servidor realizador de Jacobeo.net. Y a miles de peregrinos, de la misma manera desde que llegó a San Juan de Ortega hasta esta misma semana, con el mismo espíritu y con todo su esfuerzo y dedicación.

Se lleva la Medalla de Oro de la Federación de Asociaciones de Amigos del Camino en 1999, el nombramiento de Colegiado de Honor del Colegio de Aparejadores y Arquitectos Técnicos de Burgos (San Juan de Ortega es su patrono), el Hito Jacobeo en 2007 de la Asociación de Amigos de Burgos o aquella estampa de 2004 recogiendo con varios jacobeos más el Premio Príncipe de Asturias de la Concordia. Y, por supuesto, todo el cariño y la admiración de miles de peregrinos.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Perhaps Ivar can send a message of condolence on behalf of all the Forum members. He will be fondly remembered by all of us who had the opportunity to enjoy his wonderful garlic soup!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Even though I did not like my night spent at the albergue of San Juan de Ortega I have good memories of my time spent in that town chatting with the priest, Don Jose Maria while eating 2 bowls of his garlic soup and attending his mass, in one of my favorite churches of the Camino. He became one of my Camino characters. He told me he has not been able to attract a priest to take over for him and wondered about the future of that church.
Peace
Lillian

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We´re trying to angle a way for Patrick to attend the Mass. He may go with Don Blas from Fuenterroble, who usually presides or concelebrates these kinds of services. Paddy can rep for all of us distant English-speaking cybernauts. (I´d do it, but I´ll be hospitalero-ing in Salamanca.)

I wonder what will happen now. José Maria´s sister, who helped him run the place, steadfastly refused all kinds of help when it was offered, saying "Somos dos."

Now that she´s "una sola" I wonder what will be done with her... she´s well into her 70s.
There was talk a couple of years ago of turning the old monastery (now the rundown pilgrim hostel) into a fancy hotel, and the bishop asked a few pilgrim organizations to consider staffing the place if it stays a pilgrim hostel. It was agreed later to hold all plans long as Jose Maria was still around.

Any word on how the place is being run these days?
Reb.

there are press reports that the Archdiocese and an organisation called the Fundación DIPER, with the Junta also contributing financially, have signed an accord to redevelop the buildings, partly to continue to support pilgrims, partly as a hospederia for retreats and that sort of thing, and partly as a support centre for the terminally ill. Here's a report from a local radio station
http://www.radioarlanzon.com/modules.ph ... &sid=18914

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Vaya con Dios Padre Jose Maria!

My stay as a Pilgrim was enhanced by you. Thank you for all your work to revive the Camino so that so many of us might experience the hospitality of God.

In 2002 I asked for D Jose Maria's garlic soup recipe. Here it is.

Day old bread
olive oil
garlic (chopped)
beef stock
2 eggs (stirred in)

There is an interview with D Jose Maria on the youtube Video of "Welcome" (It is at 2.12 mins)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMOIAbUDQNA

There are other hospitaleros on this video, Jesus Jato from Ave Fenix, Tomas of Manjarin, the ANFAS albergue - and I especially love the scenes where the hospitalero washes the feet of the pilgrims at St. Nicolas refuge.

And another of D. Jose Maria here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1fwGA2I1RU

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
sillydoll said:
In 2002 I asked for D Jose Maria's garlic soup recipe. Here it is.

Day old bread
olive oil
garlic (chopped)
beef stock
2 eggs (stirred in)

Thank you kindly for supplying the recipe. For our Easter Sunday lunch, here in the presbytery of the Holy Ghost Catholic parish in south London, we had sopa de ajo today using Don Jose Maria's recipe and in his memory. Just boil up the ingredients as quoted above and it works out exactly as he used to serve it, with that slightly gelatinous texture.

Tip: keep the garlic in whole cloves, then you can fish it out before serving.

Gareth

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Now I know his name. From my journal (July 17, 1988):

"Travelled today with the four Belgian girls I met last night in San Juan de Ortega. Spent most of the time with Ingrid who wanted to practice her English and was much more friendly than the other three. Last night the priest at San Juan de Ortega cooked us bread soup and Spanish tortilla- then, after a few porrones of vino, one of the group of Spanish guys pulled out a guitar and sang songs in Gallego. Overall, a very enjoyable night."

I've been thanking Don Jose Maria ever since, though I never knew his name until now.

Telluridewalker said:
From my journal (July 17, 1988): "Last night the priest at San Juan de Ortega cooked us bread soup..."

It is good of you to remind us of José María Alonso Marroquí on this Forum, a year after he died. Did you see the You Tube clip mentioned earlier in this thread?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3aA57_xeC0

You may be interested to know it is from the film "Within the Way Without" (DVD from the Confraternity of St James); an excellent film which I recommend to anyone who loves the Camino Frances.

Gareth

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back