Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Primitivo

Murtagh

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances(2010)Northern(2014) Primitivo (2017)
What should I enjoy and /or avoid on The Primitivo this September 2017?Murtagh

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Enjoy the huge variety of edible wild fungi that can be gathered from the woods along the way. Avoid all the ones that will kill you ;)

This isn't a very serious question is it @Murtagh? If we knew what you enjoyed and or what you might seek to avoid then members would no doubt give generously of their experience and knowledge.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What should I enjoy and /or avoid on The Primitivo this September 2017?Murtagh
Go for a traditional meal at one of the restaurants on "Cider Alley" in Oviedo. Take a day off in Lugo. So interesting and much to see. Walk the wall!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Go for a traditional meal at one of the restaurants on "Cider Alley" in Oviedo. Take a day off in Lugo. So interesting and much to see. Walk the wall!
Thanks .Just what I was looking for - what is not in the guidebooks,Murtagh

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Gratuitous Casa Pachon photo (from a few years back).
My recommendation: We had a shortish day that finished in Campiello which meant we had plenty of time beforehand to detour to the ruins of the Obona Monastery, which is less than 1km off route (about 8km after Tineo). It's an amazingly atmospheric place and a pilgrim hospital was once sited there. It was a lovely day, so we stopped and had a picnic by the abandoned cloisters - one of my best memories of the Primitivo. But that was 2011 so others can say whether it's still possible to roam around there.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My recommendation: We had a shortish day that finished in Campiello which meant we had plenty of time beforehand to detour to the ruins of the Obona Monastery, which is less than 1km off route (about 8km after Tineo). It's an amazingly atmospheric place and a pilgrim hospital was once sited there. It was a lovely day, so we stopped and had a picnic by the abandoned cloisters - one of my best memories of the Primitivo. But that was 2011 so others can say whether it's still possible to roam around there.
Yes, it is still possible and there is a sign that guides you to it.

I also took the detour and remember running into a villager out walking a dog. He told us that local lore has it that there is a maze of tunnels underneath the monastery. Also something about those who find and enter the tunnel and how they are condemned to walk through the tunnels for all eternity, or something like that.

Grandas de Salime, the museum is well worth a visit (closed Mondays).
Take time to stop and look at the many little ancient churches. Most have a grill in the door so that you can see in even though many are closed.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
At Castro, the museum and archeological site Castro de Chao Samartin, a few km past Grandas de Salime is really worth a visit.
We stayed in the albergue at Castro to visit the museum. Opens at 11.00 and 16.00, then the curator goes round to the castro itself at 12.00 and 17.00 approx. Unless the system has changed you need to plan to go to the museum first.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Murtagh, I strongly recommend visiting Santa Eulalia de Boveda temlple, between Lugo and your next albergue; you have to know your way, but it is signed in some guides and webs. Very adviceable to visit. Be careful with opening days and hours, not to detour and then not be able to visit it!

When we visited Santa Eulalia we found that the little museum just down the road from the church was open even though the doors were closed. The door looks like a garage entrance! The curator came to unlock the church for us.
The opening times currently given on their website are:-

Horario de invierno (del 16 de septiembre al 15 de junio):
- De martes a viernes, de 8:00 a 15:00 horas.
- Sábados: de 10:00 a 14:00 horas.
- Domingos, lunes y festivos: cerrado.

Horario de verano (del 16 de junio al 15 de septiembre):
- De martes a viernes, de 8:30 a 14:30 horas.
- Sábados, de 10:00 a 14:00 horas.
- Domingos, lunes y festivos: cerrado.

Murtagh, I strongly recommend visiting Santa Eulalia de Boveda temlple, between Lugo and your next albergue; you have to know your way, but it is signed in some guides and webs. Very adviceable to visit. Be careful with opening days and hours, not to detour and then not be able to visit it!
Thank you so much - I will try this,Murtagh

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back