• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The puzzling 100 km mark

jdpiguet

Time of past OR future Camino
Past? Not enough.
Future? Sure!
I walked today from Barbadelo to Gonzar. Starting Morgade, I was looking around for the 100 km mark.
As most of the forum members, I was remembering well the poor stone, hideously vandalized, loaded with every kind of object you can find in a backpack, written on, painted,...:(:mad::confused:
Well, GOOD NEWS! The authorities have found a definitive answer to the vandalism: the stone has been removed!
So, no stone, no vandalism... :p
A lot of renewed stones, before and after the approximate place are now handwritten "100 km" :eek: but nothing so ugly as before!
RIP, 100 km stone :)
Buen Camino, Jacques-D.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked that way nearly a fortnight ago.

I noticed marker stones up to about 101 dot something km typically still had the coloured yellow and blue scallop shell at inset into the top of the stone and the distance label indet closer to the ground.

I expected the 100 km marker to come up just after Morgade.

But no.

From after Morgade to Santiago this stlye of marker stone had invariably been robbed of both these "adornments".

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hmmm, strange . . . Waka's photo is of a different marker to Rick and Peg's . . . . both taken in 2015.
:confused::confused:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
IMHO, that is why it is best to plan to start in Sarria proper, some 111 - 118 Km out from the Cathedral, depending on whose numbers you believe. If you start from Sarria and document it in your credencial, you will qualify for the Compostela (if that was part of your motivation). If you do not care about getting a Compostela, disregard the rest of this post...

Originally, there was a 111 Km mojone (granite marker) at the top of the famous Sarria stair steps, and around the corner, just after the local art museum. But, as of 2016, it was no longer there. I have a photo of the naked cement base from where it used to stand. It appears they used a concrete saw to cleanly sever the mojone, presumably so it could reused... It WOULD be the ultimate Camino souvenir...;)

More recently, while working at the Pilgrim Office this past summer, I discovered that the official "Cathedral" distance from Sarria is now listed in the Pilgrim Office computers as 118 Km, not 111 Km. When I asked about this, one staffer commented that they thought the distances had been recently reconfirmed using GPS technology, instead of a wheeled measuring device...whatever...

I suppose the point is that only the numbers maintained at the Cathedral office are official and binding. Relying on the current physical location of the "garden gnome" 100 Km mojone may not be accurate.

Parenthetically, over the past year or so, I have noted an increase in people seeking to access the Camino and start their pilgrimage EXACTLY at the 100 Km marker, not one meter farther out. To that effect, some of the posts in other forum threads have been either silly, amusing, or just sad, depending on one's perspective. I will refrain from offering further opinion on this phenomenon...after all, everyone does their own Camino. It is not for me to judge... But the focus on this point seems a bit out of perspective to me.

As this thread aptly suggests, that particular marker, the mysterious "official" 100 Km mojone seems to move about from year to year, like a garden gnome:eek:. It seems that every named place or business along this stretch of the Camino desires to be "the definitive 100 Km" point. Relying solely on a "selfie" taken with that marker could wind up being disappointing if some cafe owner or just local pranksters moved the mojone a couple of Km just for yucks. Caveat Emptor folks...

So, my recommendation again is, to not shave this too fine. Start at Sarria and document your progress with at least two stamps daily until you reach Santiago. If you cannot manage the stairs, get a ride to the convent and church at the top of the hill, where you make the sharp left to head along a cemetery and out of town.

Remember, the Cathedral rules state that the final day's two sellos / stamps must be obtained BEFORE you enter the city of Santiago. Practically speaking, that is in Lavacolla, and likely near Monte de Gozo, slightly AFTER the Radio - TV Galicia station, at the cafe on the left (? Bar - Camping San Marcos - IIRC).

My advice is to obtain the stamps BEFORE you cross the footbridge over the Autovia into downtown Santiago. For those of you who have done this previously, you KNOW the bridge I am talking about. FYI, I read somewhere that it was being replaced and upgraded to something less scary.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
_DSC6071-Web.jpg This is how the old one looked in 2014.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Once again a terrific and helpful post Tom.

I'm a nerd and so got to wondering where the 100 km camino starting points would be if the 100 km was not measured by the distance walked but by the distance flown. Turns out that this point would be about 150 meters west of the village of Furela (about halfway between Triacastela and Sarria.) Samos Monastery would be a bit outside of the 100 km radius circle too. If you want to play around with interactive maps and see the 100 km radius circle around the cathedral visit page http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/calculators#range_rings and go to the section for the range rings and enter 100 km and the coordinates 42.880656,-8.545241 and then the Draw map button.

[Edit: Since my first post I just happened upon this photo on the web showing the 100 km circle but pointing out the usual start points of various caminos and the walking distance to Santiago for each: http://caminodelavida.pl/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/camino-de-santiago-5-dni-100-km-865x603.jpg ]

My advice is to obtain the stamps BEFORE you cross the footbridge over the Autovia into downtown Santiago. For those of you who have done this previously, you KNOW the bridge I am talking about. FYI, I read somewhere that it was being replaced and upgraded to something less scary.
I'm pretty sure I know the one. I remarked on its condition to Peg when we were crossing it that this must be the same bridge that Saint Francis used on his camino.

Last edited:
2012. This one was in what we would call a bostal: a cut road between high banks. I guess some locals gave it a clean up from time to time. Or maybe it had its own dedicated Ditch Pig. The bushes around about were hung with bolsas of discarded picnic remains and the ground was littered to an impressive depth. I obviously framed that all out of my momento. I do recall that I walked less than half a kilometre to a communal bin to get rid of all that I had been able to carry.

Attachments

• IMGP1981.jpg
    IMGP1981.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 64
2... The bushes around about were hung with bolsas of discarded picnic remains and the ground was littered to an impressive depth. I obviously framed that all out of my momento. I do recall that I walked less than half a kilometre to a communal bin to get rid of all that I had been able to carry.

YUCK!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I think I saw three or four that had 100 km hand written on them. Most of the metal plates have been removed so I never knew what was the real one, but just walk on you get closer no matter what the marker states.

Last edited:
IMG_6448.JPG This is the one I most thought correct in October 2017 when I passed by.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked today from Barbadelo to Gonzar. Starting Morgade, I was looking around for the 100 km mark.
As most of the forum members, I was remembering well the poor stone, hideously vandalized, loaded with every kind of object you can find in a backpack, written on, painted,...:(:mad::confused:
Well, GOOD NEWS! The authorities have found a definitive answer to the vandalism: the stone has been removed!
A lot of renewed stones, before and after the approximate place are now handwritten "100 km" :eek: but nothing so ugly as before!
Buen Camino, Jacques-D.

This I hope is the closest you can come to a 100km marker

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My 8-year-old took a picture of me dancing in front of the (fairly clean) 100 km marker in 2004, since we'd made a bet that I wouldn't dare to do that. Quite happy that this picture isn't in circulation and that we were alone that day in April - backpack and walking shoes did not improve my dancing skills.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
As far as I remember, all the "100.xxx" have now been stolen :eek::confused:
Buen Camino, Jacques-D.
The old one has been removed. I think the new one is still there. Virtually all the old markers were removed. There was a pile of them walking into Melide, but that pile also has been removed.

The old one has been removed. I think the new one is still there. Virtually all the old markers were removed. There was a pile of them walking into Melide, but that pile also has been removed.

I do not mean the markers themselves, but the small bronze plate engraved with the number of kilometers.
I must add that from Palas de Rei onwards, most of markers are clean as new and the km plate is back.
We saw in Melide a car marked "conservaciòn" with 2 guys working on a marker. I think there is some kind of rejuvenation operation ongoing...
Buen Camino, Jacques-D.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Will the real 100 kilometer marker please stand up? Oh by the way, seems to me that someone was collecting those small bronze engraved plates. Thanks conservation team for your restoration efforts. Thanks for reading, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

As far as I remember, all the "100.xxx" have now been stolen :eek::confused:
Buen Camino, Jacques-D.
I took that photo back in May this year. Thanks for the advice about its theft. I fail to understand what these criminals achieve by removing these distance to walk markers. They have no real monetary value and in fact they are (I believe) designed as aids to emergency vehicles (ambulances or police) . So if you see that a pilgrim friend has anyone of these distance to walk markers take it off them and send it back to the a Galician authorities.

With the metal plates sadly being stolen from these markers it would be best to come up with a new method of denoting the km distance. Of course the object is to not make each one custom so that cost is driven up from the supplier. The method would need to not be attractive to the low down thiefs that would take a plate, maybe just individual numbers like a house address back in the USA. When removed they would be just individual numbers no value to souvenir collectors.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Buen Camino, Jacques-D.

Attachments

• IMG_2831.JPG
    IMG_2831.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 32
June 2016 ❤️

Attachments

• 7D1C8039-B110-4647-A7F3-271603534F0E.jpeg
    7D1C8039-B110-4647-A7F3-271603534F0E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 42
  • 1FE5B500-6BC6-4AF2-9B4A-0EF9FE5B7A9C.jpeg
    1FE5B500-6BC6-4AF2-9B4A-0EF9FE5B7A9C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
Hils, welcome aboard, your first post! Thanks for the good looking photos, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
2012. This one was in what we would call a bostal: a cut road between high banks. I guess some locals gave it a clean up from time to time. Or maybe it had its own dedicated Ditch Pig. The bushes around about were hung with bolsas of discarded picnic remains and the ground was littered to an impressive depth. I obviously framed that all out of my momento. I do recall that I walked less than half a kilometre to a communal bin to get rid of all that I had been able to carry.
We

The Roll of Honour Afghanistan at the 100km mark June 17

Attachments

• 05F04910-27B0-4EEE-BF75-829F9DB3194E.jpeg
    05F04910-27B0-4EEE-BF75-829F9DB3194E.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 33
Buen Camino, Jacques-D.
September 30th 2016. It is different from all the other new markers put in by the Xunta. They knew the distance plaque would be stolen as has happened to many of the other new markers, so on the 100 km it is engraved into the stone. It was only a few months old when I took this pic and already it was well vandalised. Why would a pilgrim carry an indelible pen and why would they carry a tool strong enough to prise off the plaques on the other markers
DSC_0295.JPG DSC_0295.JPG DSC_0295.JPG

We also saw two offical looking 100km markers when we walked in October 2015 - my hindsight memory has it seeming like they were several kilometres apart - so it was quite confusing at the time. We had no idea about which one was right, but took photos at both! We were pretty laid back about going with the flow by then and taking things as they came

Buen Camino, Jacques-D.

Attachments

• IMG_4105.jpg
    IMG_4105.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 12
From April 2013. The magic marker stone, then the 100 km after your turn.
We found the stones almost every half kilometer to be a bit of a distraction. Sometimes urging us on, sometimes mocking us ;)

Attachments

• CA5B84DE-C293-4E85-A989-5843C60E8E24.jpeg
    CA5B84DE-C293-4E85-A989-5843C60E8E24.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • A41E2232-722C-4973-B509-CA8B4321D712.jpeg
    A41E2232-722C-4973-B509-CA8B4321D712.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 13
Buen Camino, Jacques-D.
Who cares just put it back in the original place so there is a sense of occasion! The only thing on my mine was where was that plonk opener, the crackers and cheese and camera., the fact that the stone was defaced had little impact on my group’s achievement

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
IMHO, that is why it is best to plan to start in Sarria proper, some 111 - 118 Km out from the Cathedral, depending on whose numbers you believe. If you start from Sarria and document it in your credencial, you will qualify for the Compostela (if that was part of your motivation). If you do not care about getting a Compostela, disregard the rest of this post...

Originally, there was a 111 Km mojone (granite marker) at the top of the famous Sarria stair steps, and around the corner, just after the local art museum. But, as of 2016, it was no longer there. I have a photo of the naked cement base from where it used to stand. It appears they used a concrete saw to cleanly sever the mojone, presumably so it could reused... It WOULD be the ultimate Camino souvenir...;)

More recently, while working at the Pilgrim Office this past summer, I discovered that the official "Cathedral" distance from Sarria is now listed in the Pilgrim Office computers as 118 Km, not 111 Km. When I asked about this, one staffer commented that they thought the distances had been recently reconfirmed using GPS technology, instead of a wheeled measuring device...whatever...

I suppose the point is that only the numbers maintained at the Cathedral office are official and binding. Relying on the current physical location of the "garden gnome" 100 Km mojone may not be accurate.

Parenthetically, over the past year or so, I have noted an increase in people seeking to access the Camino and start their pilgrimage EXACTLY at the 100 Km marker, not one meter farther out. To that effect, some of the posts in other forum threads have been either silly, amusing, or just sad, depending on one's perspective. I will refrain from offering further opinion on this phenomenon...after all, everyone does their own Camino. It is not for me to judge... But the focus on this point seems a bit out of perspective to me.

As this thread aptly suggests, that particular marker, the mysterious "official" 100 Km mojone seems to move about from year to year, like a garden gnome:eek:. It seems that every named place or business along this stretch of the Camino desires to be "the definitive 100 Km" point. Relying solely on a "selfie" taken with that marker could wind up being disappointing if some cafe owner or just local pranksters moved the mojone a couple of Km just for yucks. Caveat Emptor folks...

So, my recommendation again is, to not shave this too fine. Start at Sarria and document your progress with at least two stamps daily until you reach Santiago. If you cannot manage the stairs, get a ride to the convent and church at the top of the hill, where you make the sharp left to head along a cemetery and out of town.

Remember, the Cathedral rules state that the final day's two sellos / stamps must be obtained BEFORE you enter the city of Santiago. Practically speaking, that is in Lavacolla, and likely near Monte de Gozo, slightly AFTER the Radio - TV Galicia station, at the cafe on the left (? Bar - Camping San Marcos - IIRC).

I hope this helps.
As usual ole mate you tend to be the fountain of knowledge, whenever a thread comes up I go straight to you as it will save time on getting the correct line on most topics and as we are continually searching for answers your are typically correct and informing base on experience . I also like reading between the lines in your replys, keep up the good work mate and see you during the Camino Portuguese next year with my ole mate Jose Piner who has done about eight ( 8) of them 😊

Just out of curiosity, I reread this entire thread from the top. I note in passing that my seminar contribution on this point and issue was at post #14 above.

My conclusions based on more than two years of writing on this issue, are that:
  • There are more than one 100 km markers on the Camino Frances.
  • The locations of these markets is not necessarily categorical and definitive
  • These markers MOVE around, aided by vandals or business owners
  • Being a business at THE official 100 km threshold, or starting one's Camino at that exact point, has taken on near mythical faux importance
The bottom line in choosing to only walk your Camino from one of these points instead of just sucking it up and walking from Sarria, even starting at the top of the infamous steps, is (to paraphrase Clint Eastwood in Dirty Harry).... "Do you feel lucky...pilgrim...?"

If you choose wrongly, you MIGHT be denied a Compostela if that was your point in doing a Camino. OTOH, if you do not care about a Compostela, have at it.

Hope this helps.

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back