• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The pyrenees in late October

Ste66

Irish pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2x Frances
1x Portugese from Porto (Litoral)
I am planning to do a small part of the camino Frances starting in St Jean pied de port, just a week or so into Logroño, I can only start around the 21st of October, I would like to know if anyone has crossed the pyrenees at this time of year and what their experiences were.
Thank you in advance, Stephen.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have done it twice in mid-to-late October. The weather was beautiful and clear. One time it was very windy and quite chilly leaving Orisson in the morning.

However, I was lucky. You should follow rhe advice of the Pilgrim Office. There is no view if you are in the clouds, so you should take the Valcarlos route in that case.

In past years I began the CF six times in October from 2010 through 2015. It can get chilly at night but days were usually splendid. See more in this recent post

Whenever you do go Buen camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am planning to do a small part of the camino Frances starting in St Jean pied de port, just a week or so into Logroño, I can only start around the 21st of October, I would like to know if anyone has crossed the pyrenees at this time of year and what their experiences were.
Thank you in advance, Stephen.
I crossed once in late September and the weather was beautiful.
Buen Camino
Vince

In past years I began the CF six times in October from 2010 through 2015. It can get chilly at night but days were usually splendid. See more in this recent post

Whenever you do go Buen camino!
Did you find albergues were open? Covid aside, I saw a comment a few weeks ago that stated that most albergues shut down for the season in October. This is when I plan to go unless restrictions change and it will then be 2022 :) thank you 🙏🏼

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Did you find albergues were open? Covid aside, I saw a comment a few weeks ago that stated that most albergues shut down for the season in October. This is when I plan to go unless restrictions change and it will then be 2022 :) thank you 🙏🏼
As I wrote in my post linked in blue within the post above who knows how 2021 will go ? In the past on the CF some albergues closed starting mid October but there always was someplace open.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Did you find albergues were open?

there always was someplace open.
I have walked in October-November a couple of times. Not every albergue was open, but I had no trouble finding accommodation. Just don't show up in a tiny village that has only one albergue, after a long day's walk, and expect it to be open. Check first, or accept that Plan B is to walk to the next town.

In the normal pre-covid course, many albergues shut down Oct 31, in accordance with regulations governing them. After that date, there is generally at least one albergue open every 15 km or so. Some shut earlier depending on the whim of the owners.

I crossed the Pyrenees in November 2013 on the Napoleon route, before the law that shuts it down Nov 1. It was a glorious day: cool, blustery, and stunning.

Dont trust the mountains =)

As stated before, bring layering clothes. I have crossed over in early January and it was 68c and glorious. Crossing over in April is was cold, windy and 20cms of snow.

Good times,

M

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back