• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Quest To Walk 50K In A Day

Kevin Considine

Time of past OR future Camino
For those who think 10K is too short of a day and 30K is too long of a day on The Camino. My experience suggests there is no right or wrong distance. It is all about connecting with The Camino and walking the distance that is right for you on any individual day. I normally walked 25-30K on my Caminos, but have had great days at all lengths. In fact, each and every day has been a gift.

The Quest To Walk 50K In A Day ( From The Blog of Global Pilgrim):

I woke at 4:45AM, noticing my Hungarian friend, Agi, was gone. I noted to thank her for being so quiet. Leaving Mansilla de las Mulas at 5:22 it was still dark passing tiny Gloria, a middle aged woman from Ecuador. As always in The Meseta I walked in the dark with no headlamp enjoying the quiet guided by the light of the stars.

image002.jpg

There have been many shooting stars but this morning looked up and saw two simultaneously that ran parallel in the sky from east to west. Perhaps this was a sign! Within seconds an idea emerged to skip León and walk on to Albergue Verde in the village of Hospital Orbigo, and one of my favorite spots on The Camino, The Bridge of Orbigo. The only problem was that this village was 50 kilometers away. Well, I have walked 45K a few times and thought I could have gone further but there was no need. Some pilgrims think poorly of others walking long distances in a day, as you won’t enjoy the experience. One thing I have learned after hundreds of days on the Camino is that there is no right or wrong. Listen to your heart and do what FEELS right to you. So I listened to my intuition.

1641726279049.png

This time I felt it was The Camino giving me the sign of a star for Albergue Verde and a star for The Bridge so I had a reason. Last year I spent 10 days as a Hospitalero at Albergue Verde, which is a bit of an oasis; a communal vegetarian dinner, yoga, views of the mountains. Mincho is the very amiable owner and his 91 year old mother, Balbina, and 92 year old aunt, Maruja, are beautiful to watch working in the organic garden. And The Bridge is where a real knight rejected by a woman, along with 8 companions challenged 300 knights from across Europe in a month long jousting tournament. The knight’s name was Don Quiñones and the year was 1434. This story was the inspiration for Cervantes’ ‘Don Quixote’.

IMG_0052-rotated.jpg
(The pillar on the east side of the bridge, honoring Don Quiñones and his 9 companions who defended the Bridge against 300 knights in July ,1434.)

Last year I was a hospitalero at Albergue Verde, and after sending the pilgrims on their way each morning and finishing my chores I would walk to the bridge and listen to the entire soundtrack of ‘The Man of La Mancha’. Including the song ‘The Impossible Dream’. Sometimes I would walk and sing the songs until I noticed I was getting some odd looks from the locals.

IMG_7670.jpg

(The Bridge de Orbigo)

Back to the walk, I arrived in Leon at 9:15 and had some breakfast at my favorite cafe kitty corner to the Cathedral. A short time later, Agi, the Hungarian Italian teacher who speaks English with a strong Italian accent walked up and joined me. I was telling her, “I feel the energy of The Meseta and that is why I have been walking longer (39K per day last 3 days) and sleeping less each day. I told her the story of the shooting stars and that feeling ‘juiced’ would try to walk 50K today. Agi makes me laugh as she is very skeptical about the spiritual aspects of the Camino and had some great one liners with her Italian Hungarian English accent. She turned to me with that doubting look and said, “What isss thiss ‘juice’ you speak of? And what isss thisss ‘Meseta’?” I laughed and explained. She replied, “Maybe I go to Orbigo”.

40ff6a86-a28c-4098-b7b0-20059dbcaf93-900x540.jpg

Agi walked on and before leaving I checked emails and my dentist from Mallorca had made some calls and had a dentist friend in Leon who opened at 10:30 could see me today but I would have to wait until he had a gap. The pain in my tooth has been there for almost 3 months and sometimes worse than others and occasionally affecting my sleep. I thought “But what about the sign. I’m feeling juiced and feel such a strong urge to walk on.” Of course, I had to be practical and walked to the dentist office taking a seat in the waiting area. I texted Agi telling her that I was stuck in León. The quest is over.

The office seemed quite busy but the dentist soon x-rayed my full mouth. Back in the waiting room I was hoping he could just pull the tooth enabling me to continue the quest. 20 minutes later he explained my top right rear tooth was decaying, cracked, and infected. He said I would have to go on antibiotics first, then in a week or so have a potential root canal or pulling. Oh no, but what about the quest, I fretted. Then he stated it would be better to have the work done later by Dr. Jose in Mallorca. Jumping from my seat, I shook his hand and thanked him profusely, for now I can resume walking so strong is the urge. His look suggested he was speaking to a crazy man.

IMG_7661-675x900.jpg
The magnificent Cathedral of León

It was 12:20 by this time and I would have to walk a further 35K in the hot sun, but my quest for 50K was still possible. Stopping at a Farmacia, I purchased the antibiotics and took the first dose. Then, using Maps.me took a shortcut to the Camino and minutes later merged onto the Camino in front of the Parador Hotel, the upscale hotel Martin Sheen stayed at in the movie ‘The Way’. For a minute I thought how nice a bed there would be. No, the quest is still possible. Maybe next time.

IMG_0041.jpg
The Parador Hotel in León.

I kept a strong pace and about 12K out of León I caught up to Michael, the one armed Polish man and had a very brief chat as he spoke almost no English. But with hand signals I suggested he accompany me to Orbigo. He started out where I had back in Mansilla so this would be 50K for him as well. He smiled and nodded yes. I don’t know why I invited him as I almost always walk alone except for short chats. Together we walked with a fast pace passing Agi who said she was going to stop at 40K. As we walked side by side, the feeling arose that we were the two shooting stars.

8bdda549-386d-4ffe-932b-7f64c3b22df9-675x900.jpg
Michael and I walking ahead of Agi.

Two 63 year old pilgrims starting out far away from each other but on the same day May 15, he from Poland and me from the west of Ireland. The Camino connecting us and our coming together as brothers. For a time, we are young again and enjoying the strength of our youth. Such is the power of The Camino and especially The Meseta. And yes we walked onto the Bridge of Orbigo at 6:30 in the early evening. We listened to my recording of Richard Kiley singing “The Quest/The Impossible Dream”. I wished I could have told him the story of Don Quiñones and the bridge.

The joke was on us though. The distance guide had a mistake and in fact we had done 54K. We trudged beyond the bridge to Albergue Verde, where we were greeted by Mincho and his Mother and Aunt who are well into their 90’s.

1641726095710.jpeg
(At Albergue Verde, Mincho’s Mom, Balbina 91 next to me and Aunt Maruja 92. They were working in the garden in the hot sun, temperatures in the mid 30’sC(90’sF) and I tried to tell them they shouldn’t be working. They just smiled at me and made me realize they were well aware of how hot it was and were aware of their own capabilities and limitations. Last, I think it may have been their first selfie😂.)

Click on the link below for a wealth of information and stories of the Camino and other Global Pilgrimages: (Please do Subscribe if you like what you see.)

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My normal walking day is 20 miles (32 kilometres) but I have walked a couple of times 30 miles (48 kilometres). Its a long day but when you are in the rhythm its fine. I know its not everybody's cup of tea but I just love the challenge. Oh and I am 70 on my next birthday!

Its a long day but when you are in the rhythm its fine.
I think that is the essential point. Walk what feels comfortable on the day. I've had the odd day when everything is just inexplicably right and miles pass by under my boots almost without effort. And on very lucky days like that it just seems a waste to stop at 20 or 30km. It is one of the reasons why I do not use luggage transport services - I do not want to commit myself to a predetermined stage. What if I want to stop earlier for some reason? I like to take each day as it comes.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
For those who think 10K is too short of a day and 30K is too long of a day on The Camino. My experience suggests there is no right or wrong distance. It is all about connecting with The Camino and walking the distance that is right for you on any individual day. I normally walked 25-30K on my Caminos, but have had great days at all lengths. In fact, each and every day has been a gift.

I woke at 4:45AM, noticing my Hungarian friend, Agi, was gone. I noted to thank her for being so quiet. Leaving Mansilla de las Mulas at 5:22 it was still dark passing tiny Gloria, a middle aged woman from Ecuador. As always in The Meseta I walked in the dark with no headlamp enjoying the quiet guided by the light of the stars.

image002.jpg

There have been many shooting stars but this morning looked up and saw two simultaneously that ran parallel in the sky from east to west. Perhaps this was a sign! Within seconds an idea emerged to skip León and walk on to Albergue Verde in the village of Hospital Orbigo, and one of my favorite spots on The Camino, The Bridge of Orbigo. The only problem was that this village was 50 kilometers away. Well, I have walked 45K a few times and thought I could have gone further but there was no need. Some pilgrims think poorly of others walking long distances in a day, as you won’t enjoy the experience. One thing I have learned after hundreds of days on the Camino is that there is no right or wrong. Listen to your heart and do what FEELS right to you. So I listened to my intuition.

View attachment 116146

This time I felt it was The Camino giving me the sign of a star for Albergue Verde and a star for The Bridge so I had a reason. Last year I spent 10 days as a Hospitalero at Albergue Verde, which is a bit of an oasis; a communal vegetarian dinner, yoga, views of the mountains. Mincho is the very amiable owner and his 91 year old mother, Balbina, and 92 year old aunt, Maruja, are beautiful to watch working in the organic garden. And The Bridge is where a real knight rejected by a woman, along with 8 companions challenged 300 knights from across Europe in a month long jousting tournament. The knight’s name was Don Quiñones and the year was 1434. This story was the inspiration for Cervantes’ ‘Don Quixote’.

IMG_0052-rotated.jpg
(The pillar on the east side of the bridge, honoring Don Quiñones and his 9 companions who defended the Bridge against 300 knights in July ,1434.)

Last year I was a hospitalero at Albergue Verde, and after sending the pilgrims on their way each morning and finishing my chores I would walk to the bridge and listen to the entire soundtrack of ‘The Man of La Mancha’. Including the song ‘The Impossible Dream’. Sometimes I would walk and sing the songs until I noticed I was getting some odd looks from the locals.

IMG_7670.jpg

(The Bridge de Orbigo)

Back to the walk, I arrived in Leon at 9:15 and had some breakfast at my favorite cafe kitty corner to the Cathedral. A short time later, Agi, the Hungarian Italian teacher who speaks English with a strong Italian accent walked up and joined me. I was telling her, “I feel the energy of The Meseta and that is why I have been walking longer (39K per day last 3 days) and sleeping less each day. I told her the story of the shooting stars and that feeling ‘juiced’ would try to walk 50K today. Agi makes me laugh as she is very skeptical about the spiritual aspects of the Camino and had some great one liners with her Italian Hungarian English accent. She turned to me with that doubting look and said, “What isss thiss ‘juice’ you speak of? And what isss thisss ‘Meseta’?” I laughed and explained. She replied, “Maybe I go to Orbigo”.

Agi walked on and before leaving I checked emails and my dentist from Mallorca had made some calls and had a dentist friend in Leon who opened at 10:30 could see me today but I would have to wait until he had a gap. The pain in my tooth has been there for almost 3 months and sometimes worse than others and occasionally affecting my sleep. I thought “But what about the sign. I’m feeling juiced and feel such a strong urge to walk on.” Of course, I had to be practical and walked to the dentist office taking a seat in the waiting area. I texted Agi telling her that I was stuck in León. The quest is over.

The office seemed quite busy but the dentist soon x-rayed my full mouth. Back in the waiting room I was hoping he could just pull the tooth enabling me to continue the quest. 20 minutes later he explained my top right rear tooth was decaying, cracked, and infected. He said I would have to go on antibiotics first, then in a week or so have a potential root canal or pulling. Oh no, but what about the quest, I fretted. Then he stated it would be better to have the work done later by Dr. Jose in Mallorca. Jumping from my seat, I shook his hand and thanked him profusely, for now I can resume walking so strong is the urge. His look suggested he was speaking to a crazy man.

IMG_7661-675x900.jpg

It was 12:20 by this time and I would have to walk a further 35K in the hot sun, but my quest for 50K was still possible. Stopping at a Farmacia, I purchased the antibiotics and took the first dose. Then, using Maps.me took a shortcut to the Camino and minutes later merged onto the Camino in front of the Parador Hotel, the upscale hotel Martin Sheen stayed at in the movie ‘The Way’. For a minute I thought how nice a bed there would be. No, the quest is still possible. Maybe next time.

IMG_0041.jpg

I kept a strong pace and about 12K out of León I caught up to Michael, the one armed Polish man and had a very brief chat as he spoke almost no English. But with hand signals I suggested he accompany me to Orbigo. He started out where I had back in Mansilla so this would be 50K for him as well. He smiled and nodded yes. I don’t know why I invited him as I almost always walk alone except for short chats. Together we walked with a fast pace passing Agi who said she was going to stop at 40K. As we walked side by side, the feeling arose that we were the two shooting stars.

Two 63 year old pilgrims starting out far away from each other but on the same day May 15, he from Poland and me from the west of Ireland. The Camino connecting us and our coming together as brothers. For a time, we are young again and enjoying the strength of our youth. Such is the power of The Camino and especially The Meseta. And yes we walked onto the Bridge of Orbigo at 6:30 in the early evening. We listened to my recording of Richard Kiley singing “The Quest/The Impossible Dream”. I wished I could have told him the story of Don Quiñones and the bridge.

The joke was on us though. The distance guide had a mistake and in fact we had done 54K. We trudged beyond the bridge to Albergue Verde, where we were greeted by Mincho and his Mother and Aunt who are well into their 90’s.

View attachment 116145
(At Albergue Verde, Mincho’s Mom, Balbina 91 next to me and Aunt Maruja 92. They were working in the garden in the hot sun, temperatures in the mid 30’sC(90’sF) and I tried to tell them they shouldn’t be working. They just smiled at me and made me realize they were well aware of how hot it was and were aware of their own capabilities and limitations.)

Click on the link below for a wealth of information and stories of the Camino and other Global Pilgrimages: (Please do Subscribe if you like what you see.)

Once again Kevin, a cracking post. I was transported back to the Meseta and my own unforgettable experiences and memories. Thank you 😊

Thank you! I really enjoyed reading your post. The pictures are great! I have not been on the Frances since 2005, I'll go back some day. I remember the Meseta, it was beautiful!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My normal walking day is 20 miles (32 kilometres) but I have walked a couple of times 30 miles (48 kilometres). Its a long day but when you are in the rhythm its fine. I know its not everybody's cup of tea but I just love the challenge. Oh and I am 70 on my next birthday!
Wow. I don’t know if I will be able to keep up with you at 70. As you say, we all have our own rhythm. 😊

Funnily enough the long days were wet and cold and the short ones were warm and sunny.
I'm not surprised. In May 2016 I walked the 580km of the Olavsleden from Sundsvall to Trondheim in 17 days. A Facebook friend who walked a few weeks later took twice as long. When he asked me why I walked such long distances per day I pointed out that so early in the season most accommodation was closed and the temperature often dropped below zero. With nowhere open to rest indoors for long stretches the choice was either pitch the tent, keep walking or freeze :)

Walked exhausting 43km on my fifth day between Puenta de la Reina and Los Arcos @38°C in almost total solitude gave me the insight that I can trust my body and my mind and that I will get to SdC without any major problems. If I walked another 7k I had to do a rest day. Too hot that day.

I learned that I can trust my feelings and my body and when it feels right, I can make it. That helped me crossing the alps last year.

BC
Roland

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I'm not surprised. In May 2016 I walked the 580km of the Olavsleden from Sundsvall to Trondheim in 17 days. A Facebook friend who walked a few weeks later took twice as long. When he asked me why I walked such long distances per day I pointed out that so early in the season most accommodation was closed and the temperature often dropped below zero. With nowhere open to rest indoors for long stretches the choice was either pitch the tent, keep walking or freeze :)
Our decisions were not based on lack of accommodation or such, when we would reach our planned destination around lunchtime and if it was raining for the day we would have lunch and push on for a few more hours, what else would you be doing on a wet day only hanging about inside the albergue, at least on a good day you could sit out with people we met and chat over lunch or a few glasses of vino or explore the town or village we were in.

Reading your post reminded me of the simple pleasure of falling in step and swinging your arms as the kms pass by and the road opens before you and the world is full of possibilities.

Seeing the sun shining off your dome and eyes crinkle in delight in your photo reminds me so much of the pleasure Scott displayed at the end of a long day. He loved that bridge too and I remember him grinning at he as he posed for a photo by the inscribed pillar. His joy didn't expand to my singing the man of La Mancha, apparently I can carry a pack but not carry a tune. Thanks for the memories.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Reading your post reminded me of the simple pleasure of falling in step and swinging your arms as the kms pass by and the road opens before you and the world is full of possibilities.

Seeing the sun shining off your dome and eyes crinkle in delight in your photo reminds me so much of the pleasure Scott displayed at the end of a long day. He loved that bridge too and I remember him grinning at he as he posed for a photo by the inscribed pillar. His joy didn't expand to my singing the man of La Mancha, apparently I can carry a pack but not carry a tune. Thanks for the memories.
I didn’t say I sang well. 😂Thanks and Buen Camino!

54k = 34 miles

I always wondered if I could ever do 100 miles in 3 days.
That would be 54k a day for 3 days in row
If I hike at the rate of 4 km (2.4 miles) an hour
including breaks that would be a total of 40 hours
of hiking. 40 divided by 3 days would be about
13 hours and 20 minutes of hiking a day.
I normally hike at a rate of 2.7 miles an hour
but with breaks, etc, I have taken that down
to 2.4 miles an hour.

I'm 64 years old, so I don't know if I could pull it off.
But if I decide to do it, the Meseta would be the place.
I would already be trail tested after over 10 days of hiking
plus the meseta is fairly flat

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
54k = 34 miles

to 2.4 miles an hour.

Well anything is possible and The Meseta does seem like the place where people walk further. Why not.😊🙏

Ten years ago I did 100 km in a full 24 hour day, with no sleep.
A decade later I did 62 km in 12 hours.
Now I can do 50 km in a day.
Three days of 50 km a day? A bit tough I’d say. But why not give it a go? What else is there to do!
I’m in that age bracket by the way. A good pair of hiking shoes and the right socks and I can walk all day, sunrise to sundown.

Ten years ago I did 100 km in a full 24 hour day, with no sleep.
A decade later I did 62 km in 12 hours.
Now I can do 50 km in a day.
Three days of 50 km a day? A bit tough I’d say. But why not give it a go? What else is there to do!
I’m in that age bracket by the way. A good pair of hiking shoes and the right socks and I can walk all day, sunrise to sundown.
Wow. I would stop well before sunset for some vino tinto and would not start back up.😊

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Well anything is possible and The Meseta does seem like the place where people walk further. Why not.😊🙏
Well, the guy in the story above walked 34 miles plus he stopped at the Dentist.
So, I figure if I take short breaks for breakfast and supper, then eat stuff on the fly
for lunch, I might be able to do it. I would probably need to eat my breakfast and
Dinner from a Deli or someplace where I can just grab the food and not have to wait.
This might work better in June when the days are longer, but I am hiking it in August/
Sept

We all have …a frame of mind…and…a frame of physique….

Sometimes the two blend into rare and conflicting experiences not to bee fully explained or understood…

image002.jpg

View attachment 116146

IMG_0052-rotated.jpg

IMG_7670.jpg

(The Bridge de Orbigo)

IMG_7661-675x900.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

View attachment 116145
(At Albergue Verde, Mincho’s Mom, Balbina 91 next to me and Aunt Maruja 92. They were working in the garden in the hot sun, temperatures in the mid 30’sC(90’sF) and I tried to tell them they shouldn’t be working. They just smiled at me and made me realize they were well aware of how hot it was and were aware of their own capabilities and limitations. Last, I think it may have been their first selfie😂.)

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
54k = 34 miles

to 2.4 miles an hour.

Totally doable👍

Oh, my goodness - I am so in awe of you! I’ll be 70 in July of this year and think that I’m quite fit and game to start the VDLP in April of this year. This makes me feel like an old lady ( which I’m not!). Good on you! I just love to hear about people like you!

Oh, my goodness - I am so in awe of you! I’ll be 70 in July of this year and think that I’m quite fit and game to start the VDLP in April of this year. This makes me feel like an old lady ( which I’m not!). Good on you! I just love to hear about people like you!
Thanks and Buen Camino Hebridean. You might enjoy this Resource on The Forum I wrote: “How The Via de la Plata Is Different From Camino Frances.”

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks and Buen Camino Hebridean. You might enjoy this Resource on The Forum I wrote: “How The Via de la Plata Is Different From Camino Frances.”

Thanks for this! I’m smiling thinking about all the ageing men I might come across😅
Myself and my brother plan to start walking
mid April. While I baulk at 50 km a day, I’m not afraid of the longer walks and like to think of myself as being pretty hardy! Thanks for the good wishes!

Thanks for this! I’m smiling thinking about all the ageing men I might come across😅
Myself and my brother plan to start walking
mid April. While I baulk at 50 km a day, I’m not afraid of the longer walks and like to think of myself as being pretty hardy! Thanks for the good wishes!
The 50K was unusual for me. It just happened. Lately I prefer a slower pace say 20-25K. Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
How bad did you feel the next day? Did you hike some more the next day or was it a rest day?
I felt ok. I did take a rest day bit only because I wanted to visit with Mincho and the Albergue Verde family. The day afterwards leaving I felt sluggish but had another grand day that might interest you;

As Kevin said, "… walking the distance that is right for you on any individual day." I was around 64 when I walked 66 kilometers one day in Perú. But that's because there weren't a lot of things to spend time looking at or take pictures of. Or signs about interesting history to stop and read. Or bars for café con leche. I was on a bicycle approaching Viana when German pilgrim fast-walked past me. Caught up to him and he said he wanted to do 50K each day.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back