• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

the QUICKEST way from Madrid airport to St. Jean Pied de Port???

Shawn Kim

Time of past OR future Camino
2016 March
I'm walking my first camino de frances this march... yes it's coming up very soon haha.
What's the QUICKEST way to get to St. Jean from Madrid airport?
If possible, could you also tell me how much each method costs roughly?

Thanks!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm walking my first camino de frances this march... yes it's coming up very soon haha.

Thanks!!!

Fly from Madrid to San Sebastian EAS.

Express Bourricot private hire taxi from San Sebastian Airport to SJPdP. This depends on if they can do pick up in Spain else you may have to take a taxi from the airport to Gare d'Hendaye and get picked up there. Its about 5 km from airport to Hendaye.

If you don't want to use the private hire taxi ... take SNCF train from Hendaye to Bayonne and SNCF TER train from Bayonne to SJPdP.

San Sebastian Airport
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-San-Sebastian/en/

Express Bourricott
http://www.expressbourricot.com/

SNCF
http://www.sncf.com/en/passengers

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Shawn,
Welcome to the forum.
Here is a thread that has all the information you need to make the decision: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...to-roncesvalles-and-sjpdp-via-pamplona.23395/

If you have any specific questions about any one of those options, you can be sure there are forum members who have experienced each one. If you haven't already bought your plane ticket, I think the quickest way would be to add on a flight to Pamplona from Madrid and go from there. But if you've got your plane ticket already you will have to have a separate ticket, and that means that if your flight into Madrid is late you would lose the ticket. But check out the thread above for bus and train options.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If the timings are right it would be by plane to Pamplona airport and a taxi from there to St Jean.

The cost of the plane will depend on the carrier you are arriving in Madrid on (but 170 euro+) and you will have to check that and the times of flights yourself. The taxi will be about 100 euro.

Thanks!!!

Take the Renfe train from Madrid to Pamplona.

Take a taxi from the train station to the bus station in Pamplona.

Take a CONDA bus from Pamplona to SJPdP.

Land in Madrid . Have taxi waiting for you , 5 hrs later your in St Jean .
I did this in 2014 . Not cheap but its quick! You can get a quote from Juan at
info@taxnavarra.com ( Great Guy)

btw I am looking for a share from Madrid to Logrono on the 18th May ..

Good luck!
Joe

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
ALSA bus from the airport in Madrid to Pamplona, then bus from Pamplona to SJPdP.
Quickest? Not sure, but not very expensive. It will take pretty much the whole day, though. I don't really believe there is any way to get there that doesn't eat up most of that day. If your intent is to start walking the Camino from SJPdP that same day, you might have a tough time doing that.

There is NO quick way. SJPP is in the boondocks big time. There are efficient ways to get there, fun ways to get there, interesting or frustrating ways to get there. Quick does not exist. Thankfully so.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What an impossible question to answer with insufficient information to even help (such as what day of the week you arrive in Madrid and what time). Without such information, the only correct answer is surely helicopter!
Of course! Money is no object for the average pilgrim!!!

I've never bothered going to SJPP and chose Roncesvalles to start from instead. I never wanted to tackle an exhaustive walk over mountains immediately after arriving by transatlantic flight with a jet lag and without gradually stretching my legs on a less demanding path. :D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Thanks!!!
Take the subway at the Madrid terminal 4 to the Atocha Railway Station where you can catch a non stop to Pamplona then share a taxi to SJPDP. You can GOOGLE the route to the station and book the train on line at the RENFE web site. In Pamplona you can stay at the Pension Corazon (see the web site) who will pick you up at the Pamplona station and take you to SJPDP the next day. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

I've found some pretty cheap flights ($50-$60 one way) from Madrid to Biarritz and then a pretty short taxi ride to SJPDP. Short of the helicopter, this might be one of the quicker routes?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Rent a car at Madrid airport and drive yourself.
I am renting a car at Madrid airport one way to Pamplona. (About 130 euro), then taxi to St. Jean (100 euro). There will be two of us so the cost is cheaper than flying to Pamplona. I estimate about 6 hours for the trip.

Charter a helicopter from Madrid to SJPDP, only $1500US an hour......

There was a thread a while back where someone took a taxi from the Madrid airport directly to SJPP. If I recall correctly, the cost was somewhere in the neighborhood of 750 Euros.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Rent a car at Madrid airport and drive yourself.

Good idea! But, I would hasten to add that, to drop the car in Pamplona and take a bus, taxi or private ride service from Pamplona to St Jean Pied de Port. Drop fees to leave a car in another Euro country are INSANE.

The entire concept of a unified EU is really a farce when it comes to practical issues like renting a car. It is still 28 individual countries with 28 different sets of rules for renting cars.

Heck, it was only recently that Spain and France even agreed on running a train direct from Paris to Barcelona. For example, the train gauge (distance between the wheels) changes at Hendaye / Irun, which is why trains do not run straight through. Imagine!

So, I agree with renting the car at MAD and driving yourself, but only as far as you can go in Spain.

I hope this clarification helps.

Landing in Madrid and making a mad dash to St. Jean Pied de Port to simply turn around and walk back UP the mountain is, IMHO, pretty insane/farcical/bizarre/artificial. There is nothing "traditional" or "standard" about starting your walk in St. Jean, unless you've been walking from someplace in France. If you are landing, or otherwise starting out from Spain, do as the Spaniards do. Either start walking from home (if you're Spanish) or where you land if you are not (Camino de Madrid, anyone?) or start walking in Pamplona, or Roncesvalles. You don't see Spaniards busting their chops to get down to St. Jean, just to cross back over the next day!

Thanks!!!
i took the renfe train to pamplona..met other pilgrims on the train and we..the four of us shared a taxi to SJPP...taxi to SJPP 90 euros but divided by 4..cheaper than the bus...bein camino...its awesome.. i went september 1st and arrived in santiago october 7th.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The quickest way is probably by private jet. I'm yet to meet someone who has done it.

The quickest way is probably by private jet. I'm yet to meet someone who has done it.

Since there are no nearby airports where a jet can land, a chartered helicopter is the way to go, you'd have to land at the football field.....

You are right, there are not even any small private airfields.

As a practical matter, the bus from T4 to Pamplona, then a taxi will be fastest. ;)

Thanks!!!
Yes, it is coming up soon if you are setting out next month. I am excited for you - it is truly an exciting adventure ahead of you....
It might be helpful if you shared your departure location! Why are you flying to Madrid and from where?
Buen Camino
Thomas

It might be helpful if you shared your departure location! Why are you flying to Madrid and from where?
Buen Camino
Thomas

Poor Shawn Kim probably didn't realize that after asking his innocent question the crowd of people will come to help him! He is probably scared by the impact of his first post on the forum :)

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Since there are no nearby airports where a jet can land, a chartered helicopter is the way to go, you'd have to land at the football field.....
I am loving the serious debate between a helicopter and private jet!!! One of the more intelligent and humorous threads I have shared in.
Who should begin the Camino after being sandwiched into a taxi with four people (and packs!!!) or taking your life in your hands driving your own hired car from Madrid to Pamplona. And, yes, why the absolute necessity of leaving St Jean? I plan to walk again but will avoid the expense and crush leaving from St. Jean.
Thanks to all you veteran Peregrinos for your wonderful responses!
Thomas

Heck, it was only recently that Spain and France even agreed on running a train direct from Paris to Barcelona. For example, the train gauge (distance between the wheels) changes at Hendaye / Irun, which is why trains do not run straight through.

Direct trains from Paris to Barcelona have been running since 1974.

Despite the gauge width difference, there has been a direct train from Madrid to Paris (through Irún and Hendaye) since 1969 till 2013 when the high speed trains from Paris to Barcelona that you quote entered in service. I don't know dates but there was also a train from Lisbon and Porto to Paris (through Irún and Hendaye) that nowadays just makes the route from Lisbon to Hendaye.

Since 1969 there was also a train from Barcelona to Geneva through Montpellier. In 1994, the route of the train was shortened so it didn't go all the way to Geneva and ended in Montpellier instead. In 2010, the train was supressed. Overnight trains from Barcelona to Zürich and Milan (same train; two branches) were supressed in 2012 (I don't know start date of them).

Why would you have to land? Parachutes were created for a reason...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Kanga- it's me again. My son and I will begin our walk from St Jean. We will be departing NYC late March early April and was thinking of flying into Paris for a day or two and then make our way to St Jean. Would you, or anyone else, have the best route to from Paris? Sorry, no private jets or long taxi rides desired. Thank you, as always.

Kanga- it's me again. My son and I will begin our walk from St Jean. We will be departing NYC late March early April and was thinking of flying into Paris for a day or two and then make our way to St Jean. Would you, or anyone else, have the best route to from Paris? Sorry, no private jets or long taxi rides desired. Thank you, as always.

Check out this earlier Forum thread regarding train travel from Paris to Bayonne and on to SJPdP. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...train-travel-between-paris-and-bayonne.38155/

Since you will be stopping in Paris check out these earlier Forum threads for more about pilgrim sites in Paris and the camino in Paris.

Visit the Tour Saint Jacques and perhaps dine nearby at the Auberge de Nicolas Flamel , 51 rue de Monmorency, a restored medieval house in the marais built by and named for a man who donated much of his wealth to help pilgrims.

When on the parvis or place facing the Notre Dame cathedral below you underground lie Roman ruins and visible to your right across the Seine begins the medieval rue Saint Jacques which pilgrims followed to leave the city; walk it a bit and ponder history.

Take a deep breath, relax and just enjoy it! As an American who has lived 35 years in France both in Paris and Champagne even after all those years for me as Thomas Jefferson wrote “a walk about Paris will provide lessons in history, beauty, and in the point of life.”

Bon Chemin and Buen Camino,
MM

@Reedmont you can't go wrong by following Margaret's advice. As always, she's given you some gems.

SNCF TGV or Intercites train from CDG2, Gare de Montparnasse, Gare d'Austerlitz, or Massy TGV to Bayonne.

SNCF TER train from Bayonne to SJPdP.

This is an all day evolution. The last train from Bayonne usually leaves 1806.

You must have reservations for TGV and Intercites trains. Reservations can be obtained at the station prior to boarding. You cannot get reservations for TER trains.

It is suggested purchasing tickets for Paris to Bayonne and Bayonne to SJPdP as two tickets. The website doesn't like the connection and won't show all the options.

SNCF
http://www.sncf.com/en/passengers

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Landing in Madrid and making a mad dash to St. Jean Pied de Port to simply turn around and walk back UP the mountain is, IMHO, pretty insane/farcical/bizarre/artificial. There is nothing "traditional" or "standard" about starting your walk in St. Jean, unless you've been walking from someplace in France. If you are landing, or otherwise starting out from Spain, do as the Spaniards do. Either start walking from home (if you're Spanish) or where you land if you are not (Camino de Madrid, anyone?) or start walking in Pamplona, or Roncesvalles. You don't see Spaniards busting their chops to get down to St. Jean, just to cross back over the next day!

On the other hand, no matter where you are coming from, if you feel the call to walk in the clouds over the Napoleon Route and experience St. Jean Pied de Port and the glory of the Pyrenees ... indulge yourself. There is nothing insane/farcical/bizarre/artificial about it.

Buen Camino!

On the other hand, no matter where you are coming from, if you feel the call to walk in the clouds over the Napoleon Route and experience St. Jean Pied de Port and the glory of the Pyrenees ... indulge yourself. There is nothing insane/farcical/bizarre/artificial about it.

Buen Camino!

Last year, I started my walk from Roncesvalles and soon regretted it. I refer to it as my "Napoleon complex." This year, I'd like to cross the Pyrenees and to experience comradeship forming in Saint Jean and Orrison where people facing the great unknown bond.

It's true that the Camino provides plenty of social opportunities and potential friends all along the way. But the initial friendships tend to be the strongest. After a while, one has too many Camino friends, social fatique sets in, and the desire to be alone increases.

Put it another way, the progress along the Camino is sometimes compared to the life stages of childhood, youth, maturity, and winding down. Some of the strongest friendships are formed in childhood, which in the Camino context is the stage between SJPP and Roncesvalles.

As Christopher Hitchens said, 'A melancholy lesson of advancing years is the realization that you can't make old friends.' The Napoleon Route provides an opportunity to make old friends.

Victoria

Last edited:
There is nothing "traditional" or "standard" about starting your walk in St. Jean, unless you've been walking from someplace in France

It is surprising how fixed the notion of starting in St Jean has become. So much so that the impression is sometimes given that those who begin closer to Santiago along the Frances or walk one of the other caminos have chosen a lesser, ersatz experience. A year ago in Santiago after walking the Primitivo I met a young American who had just walked from St Jean. When he heard where I had been he asked in all seriousness if I was going to walk "the real Camino" some day.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Since you will be stopping in Paris check out these earlier Forum threads for more about pilgrim sites in Paris and the camino in Paris.

Visit the Tour Saint Jacques and perhaps dine nearby at the Auberge de Nicolas Flamel , 51 rue de Monmorency, a restored medieval house in the marais built by and named for a man who donated much of his wealth to help pilgrims.

When on the parvis or place facing the Notre Dame cathedral below you underground lie Roman ruins and visible to your right across the Seine begins the medieval rue Saint Jacques which pilgrims followed to leave the city; walk it a bit and ponder history.

Take a deep breath, relax and just enjoy it! As an American who has lived 35 years in France both in Paris and Champagne even after all those years for me as Thomas Jefferson wrote “a walk about Paris will provide lessons in history, beauty, and in the point of life.”

Bon Chemin and Buen Camino,
MM

Thank-you! My 14 year old son and I will be flying from Toronto landing in Paris on April 22 at 1pm and taking the night train down to Bayonne at 9:00 pm from Gare d'Austerlitz. --We will have about 7 jet lagged hours in Paris. It will my son's first time in Paris, and my.... well-- I lived just outside Paris with a family in the Spring of 1980, and then studied French at the Institut Catholique in 1985. (Long ago now! Je crois que j'ai oublie tout!) -- I am thinking we should go vespers and/or mass at Notre Dame in the evening, a boat ride-- and I've never been up the Eiffel Tower. Can you recommend a place for us to eat dinner (an early dinner as our train leaves at 9pm). Pas trop cher! I just don't want to be walking around in a stupor reading a hundred menus and then eat a disappointing meal. Oh, and do you know if we can get a stamp at Notre Dame? Thank-you again.

Thank-you! My 14 year old son and I will be flying from Toronto landing in Paris on April 22 at 1pm and taking the night train down to Bayonne at 9:00 pm from Gare d'Austerlitz. --We will have about 7 jet lagged hours in Paris. It will my son's first time in Paris, and my.... well-- I lived just outside Paris with a family in the Spring of 1980, and then studied French at the Institut Catholique in 1985. (Long ago now! Je crois que j'ai oublie tout!) -- I am thinking we should go vespers and/or mass at Notre Dame in the evening, a boat ride-- and I've never been up the Eiffel Tower. Can you recommend a place for us to eat dinner (an early dinner as our train leaves at 9pm). Pas trop cher! I just don't want to be walking around in a stupor reading a hundred menus and then eat a disappointing meal. Oh, and do you know if we can get a stamp at Notre Dame? Thank-you again.

Kellymac,

How wonderful that you and your son will be together! If the cathedral shop is open I should imagine that you might get a stamp there. For a simple early meal before boarding your train I would suggest Umulinu on the boulevard de l'Hopital opposite the Gare d'Austerlitz.

The night train from Paris to Bayonne is my favorite. It is hardly the Orient Express but great fun. I'm sure your son will enjoy watching the cheminots load the cars; they ride special uni-wheels to quickly zip about the station.

Bon voyage and Buen camino!

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
I'm leaving in 2 weeks solo to do my camino frances. I still feel disorganized about reserving tickets from Madrid to SJPDP on March 25th. Still trying to figure out the cheapest and fastest route. I wish I didn't have to bus it from Madrid to Pamplona and bus it again to SJPDP. Does any one know if it's too late for me to crash an albergue by the time I get to SJDPD? Which albergues takes late comers? Or do I have to reserve online? Thanks!

Hi everyone,
I'm leaving in 2 weeks solo to do my camino frances. I still feel disorganized about reserving tickets from Madrid to SJPDP on March 25th. Still trying to figure out the cheapest and fastest route. I wish I didn't have to bus it from Madrid to Pamplona and bus it again to SJPDP. Does any one know if it's too late for me to crash an albergue by the time I get to SJDPD? Which albergues takes late comers? Or do I have to reserve online? Thanks!
What time do you arrive at Madrid?
There are buses that leave from the Madrid airport T-4. If you arrive in Madrid early enough you can take the bus from Madrid airport to Pamplona with an easy bus change in Soria prior. Then take another bus from Pamplona to Saint Jean. It is an easy and inexpensive way to get there, but does take all day and you arrive in Saint Jean early evening. When I took that route I had made prior reservations at Saint Jean in a private albergue which I reserved online. I do not think there will be too large of pilgrim numbers in two weeks. Nothing like the summer I am sure, so it should be no problem finding one to reserve.
There is also the train to Pamplona which may get you to Saint Jean a couple of hours earlier, but the train station is not at the airport.

What time do you arrive at Madrid?
There are buses that leave from the Madrid airport T-4. If you arrive in Madrid early enough you can take the bus from Madrid airport to Pamplona with an easy bus change in Soria prior. Then take another bus from Pamplona to Saint Jean. It is an easy and inexpensive way to get there, but does take all day and you arrive in Saint Jean early evening. When I took that route I had made prior reservations at Saint Jean in a private albergue which I reserved online. I do not think there will be too large of pilgrim numbers in two weeks. Nothing like the summer I am sure, so it should be no problem finding one to reserve.
There is also the train to Pamplona which may get you to Saint Jean a couple of hours earlier, but the train station is not at the airport.

Hi RJM, I'll arrive in Renfe in Madrid - Puerta de Atocha on March 24th at 9:38 a.m. But I'm actually spending one day there to tour and want to leave March 25th early in the morning. I think I might take the Renfe, I just have to find an early time so I can make it to the bus in Pamplona. You're right, I should just take the bus from Pamplona to St. Jean. I'm genetically motion sick and buses are my last resort, just going to bite the bullet and chew a ginger. That's really good that I'll be able to find an albergue since there won't be many pilgrims this time around. Your answers makes me feel confident.

Where exactly do I buy tickets once I get to the Pamplona train station for bus to St. Jean? Or do I need to reserve ahead of time? And also what is the website for this bus service? Sorry, too many questions. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi RJM, I'll arrive in Renfe in Madrid - Puerta de Atocha on March 24th at 9:38 a.m. But I'm actually spending one day there to tour and want to leave March 25th early in the morning. I think I might take the Renfe, I just have to find an early time so I can make it to the bus in Pamplona. You're right, I should just take the bus from Pamplona to St. Jean. I'm genetically motion sick and buses are my last resort, just going to bite the bullet and chew a ginger. That's really good that I'll be able to find an albergue since there won't be many pilgrims this time around. Your answers makes me feel confident.

Where exactly do I buy tickets once I get to the Pamplona train station for bus to St. Jean? Or do I need to reserve ahead of time? And also what is the website for this bus service? Sorry, too many questions. Thanks!
Make sure you check to see if the bus is actually scheduled on March 25th to go to Saint Jean. It may be seasonal, but I'm just guessing. Also another option is to share a taxi to Saint Jean if there are some fellow pilgrims around wanting to share a fare.
If you arrive early enough in Saint Jean you should be able to stay at the municipal albergue which is very close to the pilgrim's office. Also the volunteers at the pilgrim's office are very gracious and can assist you on places to stay for the night.
cheers and good luck

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi everyone,
I took train..get shuttle train to train station and then met pilgrims on the train. We shared a taxi (4 of us) to SJPP for 25 euro each. That was to Pamplona and then can to SJPP

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back