• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The R. L. Stevenson Route GR70

kayagee66

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2016)
Le Puy - Roncesvalles (2016)
Figeac - Cahors (2017)
Stevenson Trail (2018
Can any members who have walked the Stevenson route help?
Has anyone walked this route without booking accommodation before starting? I want to walk this route in September, the last 2 weeks. And would like to book accommodation the day before i arrive. Or on the day i walk.
Can i get away with this? I don't fancy planning all my accommodation before i even leave my house.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Don't mean to sidetrack this thread as I have no experience with the actual RLS route but I want to recommend Stevenson's book Travels with a Donkey in the Cevennes.
to anyone contemplating, as I am, their first long walk in a foreign country. It's a very short read but it will, briefly at least, take the reader out of the airplane/train/bus reservations, packing decisions and check lists of a full scale assault on Santiago and initiate a reflection on the actual experience of walking.
I wrote a brief review of the book on Goodreads here.

HTH,

-Jason

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I've always thought RLS's description of the Trappist monks,
their contemplative silence and austere monastery to be particularly astute and evocative.

"A stern simplicity, heightened by the romance of the
surroundings, spoke directly to the heart. I recall the whitewashed
chapel, the hooded figures in the choir, the lights alternately occluded
and revealed, the strong manly singing, the silence that ensued, the
sight of cowled heads bowed in prayer, and then the clear trenchant
beating of the bell, breaking in to show that the last office was over
and the hour of sleep had come"

Be sure to listen for that "clear trenchant beating of the bell"
if you follow anew Stevenson's footsteps!

Has anyone walked this route without booking accommodation before starting? I want to walk this route in September, the last 2 weeks. And would like to book accommodation the day before i arrive. Or on the day i walk.
Can i get away with this? I don't fancy planning all my accommodation before i even leave my house.

Hi,
I didn't walk this route by myself. I read from this site http://www.chemin-stevenson.org/organiser-sa-randonnee/hebergement-et-restauration-et-services.html "Booking accommodation is strongly recommended. Some stages have only one or two small structures."

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have walked it. Lovely route. I had no accom booked before I started but then booked one to two days in advance. Because my knowledge of French is very very limited I would get owner of the Gite de Etape (hikers hostel) I was staying in to book ahead for me and if one place was full they would find another place. I would usually go for Demi Pension (half board) as the local French cooking was really nice. Listen to the advice of Gite owners as you go. There is a nice Monastery you can stay in, it was Donovito when I stayed there but do book in advance. Here is a link to it http://www.notredamedesneiges.com/

I varied my route slightly from the main route for about 4 days to include the beautiful Gorge du Tarn, but I had friends living there, you are probably better off stick to main route.

This is a very good guide book for accom and prices, telephone numbers etc. http://www.chemindecompostelle.com/MiamStevenson/ It is in French but because it contains Addresses, prices, and good symbols it is easy to follow and has basic maps.

I will give you a link to my own photographic blog that has a small section on my journey of Stevenson Way, do remember I left main track for a few days. http://dermotdolan.blogspot.ie/search?q=stevenson+way

If I can be of further help PM me. Regards Dermot Nalod.

Last edited:
Don't mean to sidetrack this thread as I have no experience with the actual RLS route but I want to recommend Stevenson's book Travels with a Donkey in the Cevennes.
to anyone contemplating, as I am, their first long walk in a foreign country. It's a very short read but it will, briefly at least, take the reader out of the airplane/train/bus reservations, packing decisions and check lists of a full scale assault on Santiago and initiate a reflection on the actual experience of walking.
I wrote a brief review of the book on Goodreads here.

HTH,

-Jason
And available for free as an eBook download from various sites.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi. I walked this route in September 2010 and it was quite busy. Lots of walking groups. I had booked ahead and was glad to have done so.
If you are happy to be a bit flexible you'll probably be fine.
Having said that I ran a day early and the first stage out of Le Puy was totally booked up.
My blog www.gittiharre.blogspot.com

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.