• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The rain in Spain...

Richard Ward

Time of past OR future Camino
Future: April 2024; Past: Frances, Norte, Madrid.
is not just falling on the plain. Long term forecasts have high temperatures in the 50s (F), lows near freezing, and saturated air (rain/high humidity) pretty much until the end of April for at least the first half of the Camino Frances. Any thoughts/info on when/if it will warm up? I could move my flight about 2 weeks later (from April 21 to May 3rd or so), but don't want to go to the trouble if it won't help much. Thanks!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The wet rainy weather in Spain can continue up to the end April. In recent past years, many have experience sub zero weather conditions even in places they did not expect. I for one, woke one morning to a white out snow storm in Salamanca at the end of April.

50F ... thats almost too warm to walk. I like it cooler.

You sleep indoors so the fact of near freezing temperatures at night are not an issue. The albergues might not be as hot as you like ... but its always easier to throw on another layer than it is to deal with hot conditions.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
is not just falling on the plain. Long term forecasts have high temperatures in the 50s (F), lows near freezing, and saturated air (rain/high humidity) pretty much until the end of April for at least the first half of the Camino Frances. Any thoughts/info on when/if it will warm up? I could move my flight about 2 weeks later (from April 21 to May 3rd or so), but don't want to go to the trouble if it won't help much. Thanks!
Hi Richard, last year I walked the Camino Frances from the 18th of April. In the Pyrenees I had sun, rain and at night a hail storm. And there was still snow laying around.
After that I had good we weather till Burgos. I had in my 37 day's till Santiago almost 2 day's rain during the day.
That was last year, this year nobody knows it will be sun, rain and anything in between.
Wish you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Any thoughts/info on when/if it will warm up

Not earlier than in May and that's too far away to know for sure whether it'll warm up in early May or it'll be necessary to wait more time. Spring weather is very variable and can be hit and miss so it's really difficult to predict... Not too useful, I know, but I can't tell you anything more accurate/useful.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
IMG_5466.JPG
Moving your flight from April to May might help, but then again it might not. These things are impossible to predict. I walked in torrential rain in September, but I also had sunshine and a swim in the sea a few days after this photo was taken.

Where and how how far are you walking? If you plan to be on the Camino for a few weeks you are likely to experience lots of different weather conditions, regardless of when you start. It's all part of the fun!

As @Al the optimist said - Que sera, sera.

Buen Camino!

If you want to avoid the rain, and it's all a dice roll anyway in predicting, I say move up your flight to May. Looking at past year's weather in northern Spain it just seems like there is less rain further into the summer/late spring months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That's encouraging Peter, maybe things will clear up after a week or so (plan to walk from SJPP to Santiago). And I agree that 50 F can be too hot, especially with a backpack -- but again, 30s, rain/sleet, 15+ mph winds can be a recipe for "disaster" in some situations. I have needed to dive into my sleeping bag for 15 hours to stave off hypothermia on the Appalachian Trail, but the promise of dry, (semi-)warm alberques to do so on the Camino allays some fears. Based on the forecast, I think I'll leave the 3 lb tent at home, and bring an umbrella, a rain suit, my wool base layers (I think I am wearing my wool top in the photo), an emergency mylar tube tent, and some extra earplugs (I'm a side sleeper, but between red wine and possible allergies/colds...well, there's a reason I wanted to bring my tent).

OK, I have been studying this a bit, since I am flying into Spain at the end of April, getting over jet-lag and then starting my bicycle Camino from Pamplona on May 2nd.

What I have found from climate data at key cities on the Camino is that I should expect typical daily temperatures in May at the various cities listed with climate records to have temperatures from the mid 50's F to mid 60's F and that there will be about 1/3 of the days in May that have measurable precipitation.

So it is a Fact of Life that in April and even May "it. rains in Spain" about a third of the days. This doesn't mean that it rains all day long, and so once you get on the Camino paying attention to the sky and the weather forecast as to when you hike (or bike) is important.

My biggest concern is mud. I asked that my rental mountain bike have removable mud guards. If the mud get's too bad, I will take roads, but I want to stay on the trails as much as possible.

Part of my training was in rain of similar temperatures, just to try out my gear to make sure I understood what combinations worked and didn't work. I found out that my full finger regular padded bike gloves were not warm enough in cold rain and bought some winter biking gloves that worked well in my next raining bike training ride.

I am taking sort of rain gear. I have a great biking rain coat. I have great winter rain proof gloves (as there will be rain and especially morning cold and cold at altitude). I have biking "overboots" that fit over my bike shoes and add both warmth and rain protection. I even have Seal SkinZ waterproof socks that I bought long ago to keep from getting frostbite on glaciers. Finally, I have wicking technical (quick drying synthetic) running pants, hiking pants, and layering.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
this year
That's encouraging Peter, maybe things will clear up after a week or so (plan to walk from SJPP to Santiago). And I agree that 50 F can be too hot, especially with a backpack -- but again, 30s, rain/sleet, 15+ mph winds can be a recipe for "disaster" in some situations.

Are you guys from Alaska? :rolleyes: 50 F is darn cold........... Only 10 C (in real temperature). We don't get that cold in mid Winter here (Sydney) :p

I departed St Jean last year on 28 April. By mid May it was mid to high 20s (C). A few days up as high as 28C..... But I think that was unusual.

I picked April this year, as my wife Pat doesn't like to walk in the heat, i.e. above 20C. I think I neglected to tell her it will probably rain most of the way :oops:

We are all different of course, but I think I'd rather be too warm, that cold and wet...

this year

Are you guys from Alaska? :rolleyes: 50 F is darn cold........... Only 10 C (in real temperature). We don't get that cold in mid Winter here (Sydney) :p

I departed St Jean last year on 28 April. By mid May it was mid to high 20s (C). A few days up as high as 28C..... But I think that was unusual.

I picked April this year, as my wife Pat doesn't like to walk in the heat, i.e. above 20C. I think I neglected to tell her it will probably rain most of the way :oops:

We are all different of course, but I think I'd rather be too warm, that cold and wet...
I agree. I'll take hot and dry any day over cold and wet.
Warm dry days on the Camino are way more easy to deal with.

I do not mind the cold but dislike walking in the rain on muddy trail. I was scheduled to leave for Spain this last Wednesday but cancelled my flight at the last minute after looking at the weather forecast of rain and more rain on CF. Will reschedule my flight when I see more sun in the weather forecast. I want to walk, enjoy the scenery and being outside and that is hard to do in the rain. Rain, rain please go away.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
At this stage after being away for two years, and only 4 months to go before I get back it can rain, snow, heat wave all in the one day because I am sitting here going crazy to be back. I know you should not wish time away but I am so excited to be coming home, well my second home..Pilgrim in waiting.

I do not mind the cold but dislike walking in the rain on muddy trail. I was scheduled to leave for Spain this last Wednesday but cancelled my flight at the last minute after looking at the weather forecast of rain and more rain on CF. Will reschedule my flight when I see more sun in the weather forecast. I want to walk, enjoy the scenery and being outside and that is hard to do in the rain. Rain, rain please go away.
I smile because I walked with a trio from Melbourne, my Montana weather being colder than Spain. I think you wil be surprised how quickly it warms up over 20c during the day. Have a great Camino

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I agree. I'll take hot and dry any day over cold and wet.
Warm dry days on the Camino are way more easy to deal with.
I agree that the key is little storms, thank goodness it is easy to track the weather for a year for folks to find their ideal temp. For me 0-30c is my Zone. My days in the sand boxes keep me from wanting July August, yet I still want to try every season.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You buys your ticket and you takes your chances. . . . 2013 saw cold and rain into early June in Navarra and Rioja, and it only got hot around Galicia in late June. If you're properly prepared, then you just roll with whatever weather you get.

If you can move your flight forward I think I would do it.

I walked from 17 March through 3 April and JUST missed daily and nonstop rain. In fact, on 2 April, I walked into SdC in hot, sunny weather, but by the 3rd it was pouring rain, and by the 4th, absolutely pouring buckets and thundering and lightening'ing'!

It's a roll of the dice, but you might find better weather in May.

Thanks to all of you who have pointed out the likely conditions in early May. I'd been happily planning to walk in exquisitely comfortable ' barefoot shoes' that are a dream in every condition except... mud. As they're low cut, sticky mud pulls them right off . So this morn I bit the bullet and bought something that will stay on. . Dang that I'll now have something to carry that I likely won't wear much, but better shod than sorry, and hello boots...

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
thanks Al!! Gotta say the closer I get to this trip the less/inspired/motivated I feel.. Normally I am a very resilient and game person. I lightweight backpacked solo for 12 months a few years ago and loved it all.. this year, after the last 6 months of crap- blah. No resilience at all for mud cold pain and struggle.
Ah well, it's all optional, if not refundable....

Last edited:
mud is enough to try and suck even high-top boots off! I found it somewhat challenging in May 2013. Then again I found it dry as a bone the next year at the same time.
Some pilgrims complain about the mud. Others complain about the dust. It is the same volcanic ash, sometimes red (hence the name Rioja) and sometimes grey/brown. It is all about the moisture content, not the ground! :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

In 2014 we walked in snow in May. We can't choose the weather we wake up to. Walk on!

thanks Al!! Gotta say the closer I get to this trip the less/inspired/motivated I feel.. Normally I am a very resilient and game person. I lightweight backpacked solo for 12 months a few years ago and loved it all.. this year, after the last 6 months of crap- blah. No resilience at all for mud cold pain and struggle.
Take heart! If you're prepared, once you start walking, such things become a nuisance more than anything else. Other rewards compensate, especially the camaraderie. And, in time, the nuisance becomes part of the larger collection of stories and memories. . . like fish long ago released, they'll grow size and struggle with every telling.

Take heart! If you're prepared, once you start walking,...
Thanks for your kind words, koilife and it is about going through the process and reading the signs. At the moment, I'm not prepared to walk in cold mud. Tonight I went for a little walk in my new 'proper' boots and actually fell over walking up up a dune I've walked a hundred times in my 'barefoot shoes'. Had a total meltdown, my feet cried, I cried, spoke to my dear daughter and realised that I just have to take all the pressure of myself to walk in this rainy cold season, to respect where I'm at. Forget 'breaking boots/feet in'. I'm a softie subtropical barefoot girl. (read= old lady with some strange health stuff going on).
I'm going to donate the boots to a local centre for unemployed people where someone will love them in a way I never will. That feels like a good 'pay it forward'.
I'll still get on the plane out of Australia in a few days, still spend time with my son in UK, still look for some more mud proof shoes, that work for me, not cripple me.
I may still do some solo walk this May, otherwise I'm still booked to be a softie touragrino on a singing group that starts 17 May from Ponferrada. Mud or not, I can enjoy that experience even if it includes time in the backup car. The camaraderie and other wonderful things of the freeform Camino will be there for me when I'm am ready. Just might be June, just might be the Portugese :)

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
FWIW, an average May in the meseta is as rainy (or even a bit more rainy) than an average April. So the answer to the question April vs May from a rain point of view would be: it doesn't matter. Of course, once we talk about a specific year and date(s) all can change but there's no way to know that (too) in advance.

From the point of view of temperatures, May is (usually) warmer than April but, once again, the specifics of a year and date could make a difference (e.g.: a heat wave during part of April may make those days warmer than other days in May the same year...).

@newgabe, best wishes as you continue working all this out. In the end, no one can walk the Camino for you. (But there will always be plenty of offers if you're willing to pay our way!)

One thought to consider on the mud issue is that your footwear doesn't need to be "mudproof." It just needs to stay on, which in many cases is as much about your lacing technique as the shoe itself. Google "heel lock lacing technique" and try that with a lightweight, low top shoe rather than a formal boot. The shoe must be able to lace down to a tight fit around the ankle, so too low a cut won't work. Trail runners might just be your sweet spot between a shoe that can stay on in soul-sucking mud and your beloved barefoot shoes. At any good running store, you'll find a range of trail runners that range from thick soles down to those almost like barefoots. As a plus, there's almost nothing to "break in."

In 2013, we walked in mud for about 10 days using very breathable Brooks Cascadia 10s with good merino backpacking socks, and had no problems of shoes getting sucked off. We just brushed and washed them off at the end of each day (in the river, with a hose, in a bucket of water, etc.).

You also could drop down into southern Spain and walk the VDLP or a different route. I chose the Makaga route because of the rain, snow, and numbers walking.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
@newgabe, best wishes as you continue working all this out. In the end, no one can walk the Camino for you. (But there will always be plenty of offers if you're willing to pay our way!)

One thought to consider on the mud issue is that your footwear doesn't need to be "mudproof." It just needs to stay on, which in many cases is as much about your lacing technique as the shoe itself. .
Thanks again for your kindness! I really appreciate your tips. Lacing techniques eh! Yes, the boots I'd bought were slip on leather/ elastic sided Aussie work boots that once upon a time I used to wear and were quite comfy, as I have always struggled with the pressure from lace up shoes across the top of my foot. But I might just need to go there in that direction this time to get something light/soft enough to be bearable that will stay on enough. I know shoe tech has come a long way (eg my barefoot darlings!), there's walkers around now without raised heels / distorting arch 'support' etc. There are some good athletic/hiking shops around my area and I will have a look in the next few days. I'm flying out in 4 days but I have time to practice on them while I'm with my son in UK for 10 days. (it's even bloody colder and just as wet there as Spain!!) and I am also getting Pacer Poles which will take some of the strain off.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Don't let the fish stories on this forum about Asian style monsoon weather, Amazonian type mud, Sahara heat, Himalayan snow and mountains get you bummed. The Camino Frances is none of that. Sure, some people get in over their head trying to cross the Pyrenees in the snow from time to time, but otherwise it's all good.
If you are not on a tight walking schedule, and have a lot of leeway as to when you arrive anywhere on the Camino, my best advice is that if you wake up one morning and it's pouring buckets, don't walk that day, or start later when the rain quits and go to a closer town. You don't have to walk in crappy weather. I had short days and skipped days on the Camino due to weather and also due to hangovers. No big deal.
ultreia

Probably going to give it a go, but possibly from Roncesvalles with a daytrip up to the French border. 10 C and mostly not raining can be perfect weather, but if I get 7+ days of consecutive cold/rain/wind, I can see skipping to the final 100 km, and finding something warmer to do for the remaining weeks! I section hiked the Appalachian Trail, which means that until the last few hundred miles, I could pick the hike based on the expected weather. Needless to say, I probably would not pick CF for next week, but since I really don't have that much flexibility, and because there is no promise of it getting much better, I might as well dive in now. (well, hopefully not literally diving in to all of that wetness...)

We have walking since mid March and have experienced lows below freezing to mid 60's on the same day with snow and rain and sunshine,

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This morning's 37.4 mile training bike ride in WA State USA started with temperatures in the low 40's F and ended with temps in the mid 60's F. The key is to dress for the weather that you are going to face. The other key is to train in the kinds of weather/conditions you are likely to encounter.

This morning's 37.4 mile training bike ride in WA State USA started with temperatures in the low 40's F and ended with temps in the mid 60's F. The key is to dress for the weather that you are going to face. The other key is to train in the kinds of weather/conditions you are likely to encounter.
Haha. Good luck with knowing what the weather will be day to day on the Camino. You'd have to train in Hawaii one day and Akaska the next the way it's been going. :p

Training today was splitting a couple bottles of Spanish wine with friends, while they told us of their (somewhat short) journey on the Camino...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well I have had a successful day and have brightened right up about my level of preparation now.. As I live in a place called the Sunshine Coast, you can realise that my usual idea of layering means putting a sarong over the swimming costume!
So... acquired a few more light merino clothing layers to initially survive arriving in UK with, after which Spain will feel warm! AND found some shoes I think I can bear.. very light, waterproof, not too stiff, and with koilife's clever lacing tip they stay on my narrow heels.
http://www.kathmandu.com.au/womens/footwear/shoes/teva-sky-lake-wp-womens-dark-grey.html

It's strange wearing them, feeling so disconnected from the ground, but that's shoes for ya eh.

But to balance that..tonight at rehearsal someone gifted me some trekkers wool!! Wonderful antiblister/tootsierub fluff to surround my feet with love!

http://www.trekkerswool.com.au
So as I'm singing in a lovely choir concert of songs of compassion for refugees the night before my flight, I'll let the sounds soothe out any remaining nerves and remind me that I am not a penitent or a refugee and take it easy :) (and dedicate my walk to those who don't have my level of privileged choice about such things)
bless you all

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just go as you can't control the weather. I started at the beginning of May & the day after I made it to Roncevalles, the pass got hit with a snow storm & was closed for 2 days. It pretty much rained our first 2 weeks straight. It was not easy, but we did keep going. It is not usually so bad that you can't walk as it really is in pockets even with beautiful sunny spots. As Mark Lee says- you should plan to take time off due to the weather if you need it.

Just finished the pass today in time to get a bed. Rain held off until 1400 hours, so was able to get good pictures up to the Spain Border. More later after I get decent wifi (and some sleep).

€46,-
Just finished the pass today in time to get a bed. Rain held off until 1400 hours, so was able to get good pictures up to the Spain Border. More later after I get decent wifi (and some sleep).
Wait! Stop! In answer to your question, you should wait until mid June. The Accuweather 90 day forecast says you'll have different weather. . .
:cool:

I'm glad you went for it. Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back