• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The raincoats that cover backpacks.

Stephen

Time of past OR future Camino
Twice walked from St Jean to Estella and once from Sarria to Santiago. Maybe someday I'll find the time to do the entire walk.
I've found the time. Just completed SJPP to Santiago. 25 Aug to 1st Oct, 2016.
And now the Portuguese from Lisbon.
I have a Ferrino raincoat that came in very useful on a couple of occassions during my recent Portuguese Camino. Is there a knack to putting it on when alone?
I ask because I couldn't have got it on without the help of the people walking with me.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have a Packa which attaches to your pack before you put either on - then you slip your arms into the sleeves. Could this concept be applied?

Practice helps a little bit, but it can be difficult, and outside in the wind, almost impossible. This is what I do: If it seems at all like it might rain, I get it draped over the pack but do not put my arms in. Then I tie the sleeves around my waist. That way I can do it when there are people around to help and before I need it. Then when I need it, it's easy to slip my arms in. If the rain halts, I can slip my arms out and tie again, leaving the pack covered and the poncho/jacket ready to "reinstall".

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have a Ferrino raincoat that came in very useful on a couple of occassions during my recent Portuguese Camino. Is there a knack to putting it on when alone?
I ask because I couldn't have got it on without the help of the people walking with me.

I have Ferrino rain coats also and here is what I do:

Place backpack on floor or bench or picnic table or whatever is handy.
Put rain coat over it.
Tuck in the hood between shoulder straps and backpack itself.
Carefully put on backpack without dislodging coat.
Get into sleeves.
Pull hood free and put over head.
Close coat.
Done.

You are now protected against the rain ;-)

Buen Camino, SY

Or just put it on without sticking hands out and then lift the pack up under. I have an Altus with full zip which I can swing on by myself while wearing the pack (and facing the wind) but with the no-zip Ferrino I lift the pack in after the poncho is on.

I usually don't have problems, but (grin), now you have me wondering ... how do I really put it on, now that I've gotten familiar with it :confused:? I actually had to go check.

It turns out that I put it on like a cape (instant superhero :cool:) - that is, swing it around my back - and then put my arms through the sleeves. I usually have to pull down on the hem a little to seat it correctly over the backpack. Takes something like ten to fifteen seconds. It's actually harder to get it off again ;)

Between showers, I leave it hung over my pack, but close one of the velcro strips under the pack, to prevent the wind from blowing it off. I imagine looking like a strange beast indeed o_O Who cares!

Looking at the forecast, it will be seeing plenty of use next week. I'm just about ready to see if my old wet suit will fit in my pack :D

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A traditional woollen pilgrim cape also covers your backpack very well -- but yes, also requires practice !! :p

I used to use a Ferrino trekking raincoat as described above. Now I use a Sea to Summit ultralight poncho. The Ferrino did not have enough ventilation and I usually got drenched from perspiration.

The poncho still holds in perspiration, but the ventilation is superior, at least IMHO.

Rain gear, like shoes and rucksacks are a highly personal choice. I plan on getting drenched. It is HOW I get wet (rain, perspiration or condensation) and whether I can manage my body temperature to avoid hypothermia, that is of paramount concern to me. Being wet is not necessarily a problem. But, being wet AND cold, now that is a problem.

I hope this helps.

Thank you all. I tried attaching it to the rucksack first and that seems to work.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I tried attaching it to the rucksack first and that seems to work.

Been there, done that ;)

You may want to train the cape maneuver. I find it easier and faster than any other way of putting on the raincoat - including back on, after it has been hanging on the sack. Part of that equation is, that I keep the coat in a side pocket, so I just reach back and grab it, pull it out of the little bag and put it on.

I was out walking in intermittent rain showers yesterday, and found the initial super-hero move much easier. I guess it's a matter of me needing to train being a contortionist :p

Whoever invents the perfect wet weather gear will undoubtedly win the Nobel Prize. The umbrella is the closest we've got, but it is useless in the wind.

I'm interested in your comment @t2andreo. I have not tried the Sea to Summit. This camino I will be using an extra large Altus with the sleeves shortened. The extra large size came about by chance, it is my husband's but he's not walking and it should give me more ventilation. It is one of the old style of Altus, with velcro cuffs, which are better IMO than the current ones. Although heavier.

The newest iteration of the Sea to Summit Siliconized Nylon poncho is half the weight and size of last year's version. Both are a tad shorter.

I stand about 5'11." With my Osprey Keatrel 48 liter pack on, the poncho falls about 6-8" above my knees. On a more petite person, it will hang lower.

Also, I imagine that to save on materials, as ny-sil fabric is expensive, they may have reduced the overall dimension slightly. However, this is only a factor for someone taller and larger than me.

The S2S poncho keeps my torso, upper arms, head & rucksack dry. I just accept my forearms and lower legs getting wet. I regard this as being part of the Camino experience. As the hiking pants are 100% nylon fabric, they dry VERY fast.

On the negative side, the poncho when on DOES tend to appear to be a "whole body condom." It is translucent. One gets a few observations and chuckles with that comparison.

Also, many folks have noted that the plastic snaps do not stay closed very well in windy weather. This is true.

After experimenting first with reflective tape to hold the snaps closed, then duck tape, I finally resorted to using a dab of Super Glue on each snap. THAT seems to have done the trick. It also looks better than tape.

You just accept that the poncho is only used snapped into walks no configuration. After gluing, the snaps cannot be easily opened, if at all.

I hope this helps.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I used to use a Ferrino trekking raincoat as described above. Now I use a Sea to Summit ultralight poncho. The Ferrino did not have enough ventilation and I usually got drenched from perspiration.

I hope this helps.

I think the problem with the Ferrino is not so much the lack of ventilation but the fact that the inside is lined with a reflective metallic material. I learned from guru expert SYates that the purpose of that material is to prevent hypothermia. For those of us walking in warmer weather, what it means is profuse sweating.

I bought mine for the Levante about five years ago, but have decided I will leave it in the closet until I walk a winter camino. Like Kanga, I've got an old Altus. It's not perfect either, but it's the best I've got in my collection.

I agree with your assessment of the Ferrino. It was great walking at elevation in snowy mix precipitation. But that reflective lining DID keep me toasty warm, and wet from perspiration and condensation.

Rinsing the raincoat, inside out, while on Camino was a regular, weekly, chore. After that, it got "funky."

The poncho has superior ventilation, IMHO. I think this is better in warmer weather. But if hypothermia is in the offing the Ferrino Trekking Raincoat is an excellent choice.

I hope this helps.

For those who can sew, I highly recommend making a "parcho". It is a poncho with very large sleeves and a zip front. The one I made weighs just 7.2 ounces/204 grams.

A complete kit to make one can be purchased from Quest Outfitters.

Attachments

• tmp_5047-10JuneParChoSewRedFileSz (1)1308964468.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.