• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The reasons why: do they change? Motivation and memory

S

Satírico

Greetings!

The great advantage of a train of thought is that it can go off the tracks, yes? How much of the camino is pathways of thought, making detours and circling back around, even as they lead our feet astray?

But I digress.

My ex-girlfriend surprised me with a question. Why was I on the Camino de Santiago last year? Of all people, she ought to know, but then it occurred to me that we give different replies and at different times, to certain people, according to what we think they expect of us. But do our reasons, which may be various or vague at different stages of the Camino experience, clarify themselves over time? Do they change when we look back and reconsider ourselves a year or ten years on? Did you discover your true motives as you walked towards the sunset?

My last OP generated a huge response. Not expecting too much for this one. It may be too personal a topic, even for the Camino Forum.

Anyway, buen camino, one and all.

Philip

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
From 2004 through 2014 I walked the Camino Frances in its entirety ten times. The path may have been the same but actual realities varied greatly. Each Camino began with both anticipation and trepidation as I wondered how it would go, yet each pilgrimage developed its own rich mix of friends old and new, fickleness of weather, stamina and health and, of course, philosophical musings and personal thanksgiving for each day lived and for my life with Bill which enabled such a journey.

Subsequently providing information about the Camino became an additional pleasure whether talking on route with another pilgrim or writing for an unknown reader. Since November 2009 participating in this unique Forum has been part of my daily life and providing information on-line for unknown readers became a distinct pleasure. When asked about the Camino answering what I know is a personal obligation. Such mutual sharing is a large part of the camino spirit; besides being informative for future pilgrims it keeps my memories current while recalling past journeys anew.

Walking tested my strength; 'slow, but dependable’ could have been my motto. Trusting providence as well as my simple gear, tenacity and ability to endure I tried to take it as it came enjoying the good and bearing the bad. Always it was a great pleasure to arrive at a welcoming albergue, sit and remove my pack, take a HOT shower, chat with other pilgrims and collapse in clean comfort on a bottom bunk ever thankful for the continued strength to experience the extraordinary joy of another camino day. Bliss!

Why did I do this? My laconic answer is from Pascal's Pensées "le cœur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît pas/ the heart has its reasons, of which reason knows nothing." Additional philosophic and spiritual reasons are cited in this profile .

Although age and time have taken their toll, hopefully my memories will endure. Physically I may not be able to be there, but I will always 'wear' my pilgrim shell.

At 78 what matters most is to continue.

Ultreia!

Have my reasons for walking the Caminos clarified over time? Probably not. As I have changed a great deal in the years since I first walked the Camino Frances my reasons for walking have also changed and become more numerous and complicated. Anyone who really wants to ask why I walk had better have an hour or two to spare and preferably a generous supply of Rioja to keep my voice from drying up... :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In order of importance, I do caminos (and other pass thru hikes)
  1. to get me out of my comfort zone
  2. for the personal challenge and
  3. it gets me out of the house.
The reasons have not changed over the years.

Aren't 1 & 2 the same, or is it 1, 2 & 3? :p

@Philip347

I did not know why I was there to begin with on #1. (Made me a bit grouchy for about 10 days…I actually resented the question for a bit just because I had no answer.)

Lack of intention aside, it yet became a life-altering journey. That was a significant lesson in itself! How could someone with no plan nor focusing motivation gain so much? That’s still a mystery to me.

According to my wife, the Camino rubs down the sharp edges on me and knits up my frayed edges. IMO, it is the only place that I have ever felt “normal”. (After 6 decades this is quite a treat!)

And there is a huge attraction to seeing “a miracle a day” and ungoverned humans behaving well towards each other. (Generally!)

B

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I don't think your question is to personal, I think it is almost impossible to answer because no matter how hard we try to simplify our reasoning to one cogent thought/purpose/reason for walking the Camino it is elusive. I have found speaking to others, whom I met along the Way six months ago, that they have not settled upon any reason that takes priority over other reasons, but almost all are headed back again to trek it or another path within a year. Their thinking/reasoning shifts as forces in life influence them, just as the daily hardships or joys shaped our daily trek. We will return in August 2017. I can say, as others have, the sheer pleasure of meeting others of like purpose (to finish) on daily basis was the most rewarding part. Comrades in arms if you will.
Buen Camino !!!

As only a 2nd Grade Pilgrim (2 so far, moving up to 3rd Grade next year) I don't have multiple Caminos to compare yet. Still very much a 'junior' Pilgrim. But so far.

-------------------------- Past

#1. 40 days alone on the CF. To unplug from everyday day life and unclutter my head. To find myself and true purpose. To maybe find Faith. To finds answers? All objectives were met ;)

#2. 10 days on the CF with my wife Pat. To return to a place where I felt most at home and authentic? A 'place' being used in the broadest sense. More a 'place' as in State of mind perhaps? To let Pat have a 'taste' of the Camino and see if she would like to undertake a longer / deeper journey. All objectives met :)

--------------------------- Future ?

#3. (2018) 50 days together on the CF. To totally unplug and enjoy that walking meditation and contemplation we both enjoy. To share quality time with Pat without Worldly distractions. To build on the inner Peace I find on Camino. To enjoy that Spiritual 'connection' , just me and 'Him' that I seem to more easily find out there on the Path. No great expectations..........just to walk......and whatever happens, will happen.

#4. (2019 maybe) VDLP alone I think. To just be alone with my thoughts......for longer....let life slow down....and relax and see what pops up along the way.

At this stage I haven't quite 'cracked' retaining the spiritual, emotional and calming elements of the Camino for long on returning home. (2-3 months) I seem to leave them on the Way to a degree. I'd like to work on that......making the benefit more permanent.

But I think the Camino will become an annual fixture in my life in some way. Maybe 2020 will be Le Puy. Pat will probably come on that one as she loves French food! If she is still talking to me of course after 50 days on the road together in 2018 :oops:

This is going to sound Weird. But there are some things in life that we learn in a group, even if we are somewhat alone in a group setting, like the Camino. But then we have to learn to do it, or maintain it alone. And sometimes that is harder.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As only a 2nd Grade Pilgrim (2 so far, moving up to 3rd Grade next year) I don't have multiple Caminos to compare yet. Still very much a 'junior' Pilgrim. But so far.

-------------------------- Past

#1. 40 days alone on the CF. To unplug from everyday day life and unclutter my head. To find myself and true purpose. To maybe find Faith. To finds answers? All objectives were met ;)

#2. 10 days on the CF with my wife Pat. To return to a place where I felt most at home and authentic? A 'place' being used in the broadest sense. More a 'place' as in State of mind perhaps? To let Pat have a 'taste' of the Camino and see if she would like to undertake a longer / deeper journey. All objectives met :)

--------------------------- Future ?

#3. (2018) 50 days together on the CF. To totally unplug and enjoy that walking meditation and contemplation we both enjoy. To share quality time with Pat without Worldly distractions. To build on the inner Peace I find on Camino. To enjoy that Spiritual 'connection' , just me and 'Him' that I seem to more easily find out there on the Path. No great expectations..........just to walk......and whatever happens, will happen.

#4. (2019 maybe) VDLP alone I think. To just be alone with my thoughts......for longer....let life slow down....and relax and see what pops up along the way.

At this stage I haven't quite 'cracked' retaining the spiritual, emotional and calming elements of the Camino for long on returning home. (2-3 months) I seem to leave them on the Way to a degree. I'd like to work on that......making the benefit more permanent.

But I think the Camino will become an annual fixture in my life in some way. Maybe 2020 will be Le Puy. Pat will probably come on that one as she loves French food! If she is still talking to me of course after 50 days on the road together in 2018 :oops:

This is going to sound Weird. But there are some things in life that we learn in a group, even if we are somewhat alone in a group setting, like the Camino. But then we have to learn to do it, or maintain it alone. And sometimes that is harder.

Robo,
I just read "Walk in a relaxed manner" By Joyce Rupp. It was her way of paying it forward to her community that wasn't able to go on the walk. It's not a travel log. It is an understanding of the events that happened on her walk on the French Camino and the lessons she thinks she can learn from them.

She was 60 when she did the walk. She is a sister in the Catholic church and walked with a friend who is a Father in the Catholic church but she didn't reveal this to anyone on the walk. DH thinks she is a bit self absorbed and I think she's a bit of a whinger but there were some good messages that I took away from it. Some of her language is a bit flowery-over the top. I thought it was really good.
You might think it is a worthwhile read.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back