• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Reluctant Hospitalero

Arn

Veteran Member
Here I sit in the shade of the dorm at the Casa de Dona Fernanda. I arrived yesterday after
A night at the albergue Casa de Ricoleta 10 KM outside Barcelos.
I say "reluctant " because I'm doing the ballooning knee thing and Fernanda and family are either at work or school. So, I'm in charge.
I know here the beer and wine is. I can assign rooms, announce the proper location for washing and dining.
I've often touted the Refugio
Orisson or the Peaceaful Kingdom as the best on the Camino Frances and now, the best on the Caminho Portuguese . Casa de Dona Fernanda.
A fantastic experience, by all accounts: well appointed dorm, lunch if you're early, more than you can possibly eat or drink . And, all donativo.
If at all possible, make an effort to stop here. It will add to your Caminho experience.
Bom Caminho,
Arn

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hey Arn,

that sounds like a Camino to me! Take care of yourself and enjoy what God and the camino give

Andy

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Oh Arn....sending you mental ice packs for the knee...and lots of prayers that it gets itself sorted out quickly...Buen Camino, Karin

I thought you were going to catch me up and we would meet :) Hope the knee gets better soon, Take care,
Sue

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
How to treat a swollen knee:

1. Walk as little as possible. :(
2. Ice the knee for about 20 minutes and then take the ice off for another 20 minutes. Repeat twice. Do this 3 times a day to reduce the swelling. :)
3. Hold a warm, moist towel or a hot-water bottle, or take a warm bath to ease any pain after swelling subsides. :D
4. Keep the knee elevated above your heart while lying down. Prop the knee and foot on pillows or on the arm of the couch. :?
5. Take dietary supplements, such as glucosamine, which may be effective in reducing swelling and arthritic pain. :wink:

Lets hope you get that swelling down and can get back on the road soon. If not, go to plan b - hire a bike and cycle to Santiago! :lol:

Arn:
"Reluctant Hospitalero..."? Get outta town! With Jacinto's good wine on the table...!
Oh, and something I forget to tell you...
You remember the old Eagles song? "You can check out any time you want but you can never leave"?
Try getting away from Fernanda!!!
Glad you found Heaven.
See below for my blog posts about Fernanda and her hospitality. You'll have to scroll down a little...

http://pilgrimagetoheresy.blogspot.com/ ... chive.html
http://pilgrimagetoheresy.blogspot.com/ ... chive.html

Back at it!
Arrived by train in Valenca yesterday. When one of the visiting Danes forgot his phone, I took Sil's advice, well sorta. I borrowed Fernanda's bike and went tooling up the Camino.
Big mistake, bumps and rocks abound; steep down slope...Tarmac and loose sand. Add one crazy Marine and you're heading for...well a header. Ouch!
Caught them about 3 KM later.
He was relieved, I was winded and, the knee ... Not happy!
Did the fortress in Valenca, pressed over the Minho to Tui.
Tui on Sat night doesn't sleep.
Saludos,
Arn

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Funny thing about that statue: it's part erotica and part Soviet! What I have found fascinating both times I have stayed there is how groups of little girls seem to congregate around her to play. I think she is rather beautiful and she obviously has a powerful energy.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Arn, you have my best wishes for recovery from the swollen knee. My only experience was a fellow pilgrim who had a pint drained from his knee in the Pamplona hospital. He kept trying to get back on the trail, but it was mostly buses and taxis for the rest of the trip to Santiago. He got a lot of writing done!!

The last three days have been a mixed bag. Redondela, from 3 peregrinos, to 33; Pontevedra...new hours now open at 1600, peregrinos full house...completo; Caldas de Reis...peregrinos sleeping on the floor.
I've been a tour guide (Brazilians), story teller (two German girls) and, performed minor surgery (she prefers not to say).
Knee still not right, but motivated by SDC being so close and the German girls closer. What a hoot!
My new meds for the knee: 400mg Ibuphrofen as reguired, cerveza grande as available!
Just kidding Sil!
Thanks for all the well wishes and thoughtful/helpful suggestions.
Best to all my Forum friends.
Arn

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I'm flabbergasted that the Portuguese is so busy. It's October for Pete's sake: it wasn't even like that when I walked it in July 1009!
Anyway, keep goin' Arn. Just a few more days and you´ll be in Plaza Obradoiro otra vez! :D

Hola my friends,
Padron to SDC yesterday. Arrived before the beautiful Cathedral to St James. What a fantastic site.
Walked in and out of company with the German girls, mostly without the last 5 KM. Something just made me want to walk solitary until I arrived.
Girls caught up easily, can't stand long before the knee locks up.
Johnnie Walker secured a Hostal room for the girls. Dinner with them last night and lunch with JW today.
Tomorrow...back to Pontevedra by train for Mass with JW.
Great to be here. Great to be alive!
Bom Caminho,
Arn

Congratulations Arn! Well done!

Petro

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hola,
Thought I'd sleep in but, the Germans wanted to try the pilgrim meal experience at the Parador so, I was up early to get in line. Met Isabelle from Belgium. I had heard of her and it's all true. I thought the system, first come-first ten fair. 0900 we trooped thru the front door and got completely lost, yet got a great inside tour of this beautiful building.
Once we found our way to the kitchen area, we drew trays, silverware, pots of coffee, hot milk, hot chocolate and hot water for tea. Delicious rolls, twisty-salty bread sticks and bread. Filling, if nothing else.
Off to the Cathedral, hugs for the Saint, peregrinos Mass, communion. The Butafeirmo did swing!
I was very moved. Hugs for the Germans. Will miss them. No, already miss them. They help make this Caminho all the more special. If they represent the current generation of Germans, things are going to be fine.
Lunch with JW in a few.
Saludos,
Arn

¡Enhorabuena Arn! Nos vemos muy pronto. Malaga's not S de C but it's still a beautiful city.

Arn, you made it! and no crutches this time!! LK from Trondheim maybe or have been wandering in town now too! Just read on another blog of someone encountering a pilg from NZ who'd done a really really long walkabout and didn't talk about it too much,..sounds like her to me!!

SO...happy to hear another made it! Karin

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hola,
The German girls are gone(sigh), miss them already.
Lunch with Johnnie Walker (he's bigger than life) and his partner in crime, er Steve ( a voice among the angels). Had a great lunch and off to Mass in Pontevedra.
Hard to believe one hour by train, a perceived life time by foot.
The Gardia Civil is conducting a "nationality please" survey along the Way. Trust it's to better serve the Camino.
You all are the best.
Arn

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back