• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The right credencial?

RevBarbaraG

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (2018)
As recommended in Brierley’s Guide, I joined the Confraternity of St James (UK) and got credencials from them for my husband and myself. We opted for the old-fashioned sort - book style, with a yellow cover.

Now am just panicking slightly because the website of the Oficina del Peregrinos in SdC says it only accepts credencials issued by itself, or by an authorised body.... but the UK Confraterntiy doesn’t appear on the list of international Confraternities.

Are we OK with the credencials we’ve got? I also have one of the fold out ones, which came with my Guide book purchase from Ivar... but it doesn’t seem to me that would have room for enough stamps all the way from SJPdP to SdC.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You could always order another one from Ivar, I always travel with two credentials and on my journeys have always managed to fill more than one.

As recommended in Brierley’s Guide, I joined the Confraternity of St James (UK) and got credencials from them for my husband and myself. We opted for the old-fashioned sort - book style, with a yellow cover.

Now am just panicking slightly because the website of the Oficina del Peregrinos in SdC says it only accepts credencials issued by itself, or by an authorised body.... but the UK Confraterntiy doesn’t appear on the list of international Confraternities.

Are we OK with the credencials we’ve got? I also have one of the fold out ones, which came with my Guide book purchase from Oscar.... but it doesn’t seem to me that would have room for enough stamps all the way from SJPdP to SdC.
The credential from the CSJ are fine. They are recognized by the cathedral in Santiago.

Buen camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you are worried then you could get a credencial each from Ivar. Then use the CSJ credencial but have the one from Ivar stamped as well at the start and then both in the last 100kms and present both at the Pilgrims' Office.
It is a little strange that the CSJ is not showing on the Officina de Peregrino's website. I did note that one page is being constructed so that might account for the missing information. Maybe @ivar or @JohnnieWalker can investigate further.

Can I complete a credential from previous walk where I ended in Burgos in 2015? I am only walking to Sarria this time and not looking for a Compostela just albergue stays. Got Compostela in 2011.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Why panick?
You can get credentials at the pilgrim's office in Saint Jean.
You can also get credentials at the tourist office in Saint Jean.
It never took me more than 10 minutes at either location to obtain the credential.

Just trying to plan.... I intend to visit the Pilgrim Office in SJPdP and can check with them (should I get a sello there?). I figured that if they told me the credencial I have was no good, I could get one from them.... leaving the other fold- out one at home for my husband to bring, as he’s joining for the last week.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Can I complete a credential from previous walk where I ended in Burgos in 2015? I am only walking to Sarria this time and not looking for a Compostela just albergue stays. Got Compostela in 2011.

YES! And, as long as the stamps are chronological and show continuous movement along the Camino, you should be eligible for a Compostela as well. Many pilgrims take more than one trip to complete a Camino.

Hope this helps.

This is the page I was referring to, which doesn’t list the UK Confraternity? And my apologies to Ivar for calling him Oscar in my OP!

https://oficinadelperegrino.com/preparacion/cofradias-en-el-mundo/

This is the page (https://oficinadelperegrino.com/preparacion/asociaciones-en-el-mundo/) which would list the Confraternity, APOC, the Canadian Company of Pilgrims and the Association Québécoise, among a dozen or so others; except that it is in the process of updating. But the Confraternity's credential, along with those of the CCoP, AQC, and APOC are recognized by the Cathedral authorities and well-known and accepted along all Caminos.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just trying to plan.... I intend to visit the Pilgrim Office in SJPdP and can check with them (should I get a sello there?). I figured that if they told me the credencial I have was no good, I could get one from them.... leaving the other fold- out one at home for my husband to bring, as he’s joining for the last week.
I don't know if the pilgrim's office in Saint Jean will inform you or not of the validity of the credentials you already have with you, but they do have their own, nice and official, credentials available there and it only costs a 2 euro donation, and they stamp it with the first sello, or they will stamp the credentials you bring with you with a first sello. They will also give you a current, updated list of albergues on the Frances as well as a map of Saint Jean and of the first day over the Pyrenees utilizing either route (Napoleon and ValCarlos). You can weigh your pack there, obtain a pilgrim's shell to hang on your pack if you want one, and they will also let you know of any bad weather over the Pyrenees. The volunteers there are very gracious and helpful.
You can bring with you on the Camino and fill with stamps (sellos) as many credentials as you want. I brought three different ones with me once and had them all filled by the time I reached Finisterre.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Jun Meng, if you don't walk the Camino for a Compostela (i.e. a pilgrimage to the tomb of Santiago), you still would be advised to use a credencial in order to stay in certain pilgrim albergues.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We also have the yellow type from the Confraternity of St James in the UK. They had both types and this one looked more durable as it is laminated on the cover but will probably also pick up the standard one on day one.

If you do take both, how do you use them.... do you get both stamped, or move on to the second if you fill the first?

If you do take both, how do you use them.... do you get both stamped, or move on to the second if you fill the first?
You do not get both stamped with the same stamp. You just start another one when the first one get's filled up, or you alternate, or whatever. There's no rules in it, lol. You can carry as many as you like and get them stamped anywhere you like.
I just found that there were so many places to get sellos and the sellos could be quite interesting and unique that I filled up multiple credentials. You can get sellos at albergues, hotels, hostels, pensiones, churches, monasteries, tourist offices, cafes, restaurants, bars and little market shops. I have even heard that some of the public offices like police stations will stamp credentials. Sometimes, especially on the last 100 km you will see somebody just set up a table with his own personalized sello and he stamps credentials in exchange for a few coins in his cap, lol. I met one one man who had been walking the Camino starting in Rome, I believe. I think he had like five sets of credentials filled up by the time he reached Santiago.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Compostela really doesn't matter to me.
I agree. It a bit odd that a piece of paper printed by someone else, with a few pre-determined stamping spots on it, and some official looking symbols, information blanks for your name etc on it as well, says that you are an official pilgrim, and only with that are you worthy to receive a compostela in Santiago. I have no idea why it has to be issued to you by some organization.
My computer printer can print on heavy stock paper, and I could create with my PC my own credential, looking quite official, folded in the right way. Off I go down the Francais and there is no way every hospitalero along the Way can identify every "official" credential out there (I don't believe I ever saw one refer to a publication or identification guide when checking in pilgrims at the albergue), so my homemade one gets stamped all the way to Santiago. Let's say forty times. Is the volunteer at the pilgrim's office in Santiago going to say I didn't earn a compostela because I didn't have a prefab credential? That my 800 km's of walking didn't count as a pilgrim? I doubt it.
Not trying to stir the proverbial pot, but I do not care for strict rules for walking a pilgrimage with deep spiritual and religious roots going back centuries. That being said, of course I have always obtained credentials in Saint Jean. Two euros for a set from the pilgrim's office, and two euros for a set from the tourist office. The tourist office will stamp them as well. ;)

The website to which you linked does not list any authorized issuers in the United States, but American Pilgrims claims to be authorized. I hope so, since that's where I ordered mine to walk CF in May. Perhaps the list on the official website is incomplete?

www.americanpilgrims.org/request-a-credential

I got my credential from American Pilgrims in 2016 and had no worries or problems in obtaining my
Compostela in Santiago. Buen Camino.

I'm heading off in 4 weeks and don't have my credential yet. So with all the organising to do and rail strike which will affect me, I am starting to get a little confused with the planning. Can I get 1 credential for 2 euros from the SJPDP from the pilgrim's office. If I fill that one, can I purchase another one along the way, or is best to get a backup from the tourist office in SJPDP?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm heading off in 4 weeks and don't have my credential yet. So with all the organising to do and rail strike which will affect me, I am starting to get a little confused with the planning. Can I get 1 credential for 2 euros from the SJPDP from the pilgrim's office. If I fill that one, can I purchase another one along the way, or is best to get a backup from the tourist office in SJPDP?
By two at the Pilgrim’s office in SJPdP.
Wish you a wonderfull time and a Buen Camino , Peter .

but the UK Confraterntiy doesn’t appear on the list of international Confraternities.
The UK confraternity will be shown in the list of Associations Worldwide which is currently being updated and therefore empty. It is a non-denominational association and that is the reason why it doesn’t appear in the list of confraternities as such because those listed are all explicitly Christian/Catholic. So no need to worry about your credencial, it is approved by the Santiago Cathedral.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Is the volunteer at the pilgrim's office in Santiago going to say I didn't earn a compostela because I didn't have a prefab credential? That my 800 km's of walking didn't count as a pilgrim? I doubt it. Not trying to stir the proverbial pot
I react to this post for only one reason: to help to eliminate confusion for newcomers.

If you want a Compostela from the Cathedral you play by the rules of the Cathedral and present a Cathedral approved credencial with two stamps daily for the last 100 km to the volunteer at the desk of the Pilgrims Office in Santiago. Whether you used an additional home-made second credencial for stamps during the last 100 km or just one such credencial earlier or what kind of paper the hospitaleros stamp from km marker 800 until km marker 100 is of no interest to them. They don’t make any rules for the albergues.

You don’t want to play by their rules? That’s fine, too, you will still be a pilgrim but you will be a pilgrim without a Compostela. Really simple, isn’t it? :cool:

Last edited:
This suggestion is just for your peace of mind:-
The CSJ credencial is acceptable but, as I posted elsewhere, if you are worried then have them both stamped on day 1, and yes in SJPP; have the CSJ (yellow) only stamped until Sarria, then have both stamped for the rest of the Camino and present both at the pilgrims' Office. Your husband can then also get both stamped for the last 100kms in his week with you (again for peace of mind).
NB - Ivar's credenciales are the official Cathedral ones so you should have time to get them from him if you order them today.
Buen Camino

I react to this post for only one reason: to help to eliminate confusion for newcomers.

If you want a Compostela from the Cathedral you play by the rules of the Cathedral and present a Cathedral approved credencial with two stamps daily for the last 100 km to the volunteer at the desk of the Pilgrims Office in Santiago. Whether you used an additional home-made second credencial for stamps during the last 100 km or just one such credencial earlier or what kind of paper the hospitaleros stamp from km marker 800 until km marker 100 is of no interest to them. They don’t make any rules for the albergues.

You don’t want to play by their rules? That’s fine, too, you will still be a pilgrim but you will be a pilgrim without a Compostela. Really simple, isn’t it? :cool:
"If you want a Compostela from the Cathedral you play by the rules of the Cathedral "
I've never thought of it that way. Sounds so authoritarian. Nobody smacks the back of my hand with a wooden ruler or anything, right? :D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
"If you want a Compostela from the Cathedral you play by the rules of the Cathedral "
I've never thought of it that way. Sounds so authoritarian. Nobody smacks the back of my hand with a wooden ruler or anything, right? :D

Course not. They just don’t give you a Compostela. Which you may not care about.

You may care more about access to albergues, which is the other thing that official credencials are supposed to give you.

*A good place to find a compostela in Porto, plus any backpacking outlets in Porto?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I filled up my first credencial, which I got from American Pilgrims on the Camino, in Ponferrada, and purchased a new one at the albergue there. In Santiago, I got the stamp of the cathedral in both of them.

My husband and I are enjoying a day of rest in Burgos after walking from SJPP. It’s been an amazing experience filled with so many emotions. At a communal dinner a pilgrim talked about the stamps needed for a Compostela and today my husband had time to count spaces in the credential and became worried—it’s going to be close. I love the different stamps and was curious if one can get/buy a credential along the way so I won’t worry about “curtailing” my stamping!

If you are in Burgos go to the Municipal Albergue near the Cathedral and you will get one there.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
can vouch what others say that a credencial issued by CSJ are good. There were absolutely no questions at the Pilgrim's office in Santiago issuing me a compostela when I handed my duly stamped CSJ credencial last month.

the only thing about the CSJ credencial is that the one I had only received 7 pages for stamps

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.