• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The River Route into Burgos

Bert45

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2003, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2018, 2019
If you have walked the river route into Burgos, can you tell me if it is well-signposted/waymarked? Is it signposted/waymarked at all? Thanks.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The route itself is well marked with arrows, but the very start of the route is not. Or it might be. Or it might not be.

The war continues, and some days the start has an arrow and sometimes it does not.

In any event, when you arrive to Castañares do NOT turn right along the road (a long industrial slog). Instead cross the road and make your way past the kids park and to the cement factory. From there turn right (north) to follow the river.

It is not hard to find and it is the best way into Burgos.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The route itself is well marked with arrows, but the very start of the route is not. Or it might be. Or it might not be.

The war continues, and some days the start has an arrow and sometimes it does not.

In any event, when you arrive to Castañares do NOT turn right along the road (a long industrial slog). Instead cross the road and make your way past the kids park and to the cement factory. From there turn right (north) to follow the river.

I've long believed the best way into Burgos is a bus from the hotel Buenos Aires at Villafria :)

This is the arrow on the road at the turn off when I walked the river route August 2021.

Attachments

• BurgosRiverRouteTurnoff.jpg
    BurgosRiverRouteTurnoff.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 155
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you have walked the river route into Burgos, can you tell me if it is well-signposted/waymarked? Is it signposted/waymarked at all? Thanks.

When I walked it in June of 2022, once I had progressed beyond the left edge of the map helpfully provided by Wise Pilgrim in post #3 above, I entered some scruffy territory resembling waste land where I felt it necessary to maintain good situational awareness including keeping a wary eye on other folks. I would not want to go through there after dusk.

The "official" river route trail through that scruffy area was not well enough marked for me to follow it. Perhaps there were markings that I missed. Anyway, I had to pause frequently to study the myriad little trails shown on the OsmAnd electronic map that I was using, and choose one of them.

At 42.34139 degrees North, 3.64943 degrees West, the dodgy narrow dirt path I was on intercepted a much nicer very-newly-paved multi-use trail through the woods. I turned right (west) onto that and it led me all the way into the centre of Burgos. That paved multi-use trail got better and better the further I proceeded west, with more families with kids, streetlights, benches, etc.

From Castañares to the centre of Burgos is about 4 kilometres.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just walked it last week, be sure to turn left just after the overpass near a bus stop and some apartments around an open field. Go along the path keeping the airport on your right. Cross the highway as described above and go through the park keeping the river on your right. A little dicey at first but if you keep the river on your right you won’t go wrong. About the time it feels endless you will see arrows telling you to cross the river. Follow up a couple of blocks then a left turn that will take you into the old city through an stone portal. Burgos is an awesome city! Tour the Cathedral and see the Museum of Human Evolution that completes the story of Atapuerca. Buen Camino!!!

Unfortunately, the route was not marked when we went thru in June so we took the other route. It was the worst 5 miles of the Camino. All concrete and heat. I recommend you make sure you ask someone exactly where it is before you head about.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
For those that walked it recently did you use any navigation like the Buen Camino App which appears to clearly show the routes and also shows you where you are on the map/route?

I walked this in 2017 and when I hit the junction I asked a local which way to go and they sent me the concrete way. Worst section I’ve done according to my feet….

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I went the main Villafria way in 2018 and hated every minute of it. I went the River route in 2019, and still have memories of how lovely it was. I even overnighted in Castanares and had a great time with the locals at a bar. In 2019, there were no arrows whatsoever showing the turnoff for the river route, but I had studied it on Google maps ahead of time, so knew what it looked like. From memory I don't recall arrows before Castanares, but the airport should be on your right side. From Castanares onward, I believe there were arrows at the turn points. In 2018 through Villafria, there were many peregrinos, and I heard a lot of complaining. In 2019, on the river route, I saw not even one other pilgrim.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just walked it last week, be sure to turn left just after the overpass near a bus stop and some apartments around an open field. Go along the path keeping the airport on your right. Cross the highway as described above and go through the park keeping the river on your right. A little dicey at first but if you keep the river on your right you won’t go wrong. About the time it feels endless you will see arrows telling you to cross the river. Follow up a couple of blocks then a left turn that will take you into the old city through an stone portal. Burgos is an awesome city! Tour the Cathedral and see the Museum of Human Evolution that completes the story of Atapuerca. Buen Camino!!!
Thanks, Bill. Surely it's a right turn to cross the river and go through the Arco de Santa María. I have been to Burgos a couple of times and I can agree that it is awesome. I have toured the Cathedral, but I have not seen the Museum of Human Evolution.

Unfortunately, the route was not marked when we went thru in June so we took the other route. It was the worst 5 miles of the Camino. All concrete and heat. I recommend you make sure you ask someone exactly where it is before you head about.
That was the reason for my post. But now I have the image of the turn off the road in my mind. After that it seems fairly straightforward.

If you use an app like Wise Pilgrim or Buen Camino you should be able to follow the alternate route on the app.

Here's a screenshot from the Buen Camino app - the river route is shown in blue. The main route is yellow and follows the (also yellow) road.

Attachments

• buen camino burgos.png
    buen camino burgos.png
    678.3 KB · Views: 66
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Another useful map app for the Camino and other trails is mapy.cz. It has all the major Caminos already built in, along with many other hiking and cycling trails.

Here's a screenshot from mapy.cz of the two routes going into Burgos (in dark blue)

Screenshot_20220909-103600.jpg

I am technophobic and I do not have a smartphone or apps. That's why I need yellow arrows, or, failing that, a written or pictorial print-out that I can take with me. [I'm not actually scared of technology, I just don't want to learn how to use it.]

I am technophobic and I do not have a smartphone or apps. That's why I need yellow arrows, or, failing that, a written or pictorial print-out that I can take with me. [I'm not actually scared of technology, I just don't want to learn how to use it.]
You're in luck, then, Bert45. Very little tech is needed. Just print out the pdf file linked by Rick of Rick and Peg and carry it with you. Also watch the YouTube video by Camino Guide, linked above. I walked this path last week, September 3, without a guide, and I would not characterize it as "well" sign-posted. However, the linked pdf file (with its own yellow arrows) is a perfect and accurate guide.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you plug this address into your cell phone navigation app you’ll be right there:

C. Cam. de Santiago, 2C, 09192 Orbaneja Riopico, Burgos,Spain

Right before it you walk through the town of Orbaneja Riopico , Cross the highway, and it’s your first left a couple hundred yards past the highway. It’s a newish looking small housing estate. You walk through it, just a couple hundred yards again and then you are on a dirt road which veers to the right and you have a fence on your right. Which is the airport.

I went the wrong way first and actually backtracked. I’ll put a plug in for the wise pilgrim app, which shows this and many other alternate routes really easily and clearly.

I remember this well, because I wanted to have my packed lunch and as I walked in through the industrial route through Burgos, there was really no place to sit. Once I backtracked I ended up having lunch in a little park by the river.

This is very very helpful. I had read about this option multiple times but didn't understand it. Just now on google street view I followed along with that download step by step (as far as street view would go). You can tell you are on the correct path on street view because there are plenty of pilgrims on that section.

Hopefully when I come to that intersection in real life I won't walk past it without thinking.

Just completed that section and the Buen Camino App worked like a charm for the river route. The early crossover on Avenida de la Constitucion Espanola only had 2 arrows pointing to the left and no real crosswalk and was missed by all the other pilgrims I saw. Just as well as it would be safer to cross over on Calle San Juan Ramon Jimenez. I really enjoyed the river route and it’s “park-like” setting. Especially after doing the industrial route last time…

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I missed it completely last month despite looking for it. The bus into Burgos seemed like a good option instead of walking next to one of the roadways all the way in.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back