Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Road Less Traveled

Glenshiro

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy - SdC, Podiensis, Frances, Invierno 2012-23
Well, this one certainly seems to be, if today's experience is anything to go by! I have walked today from Ponferrada to Carucedo without meeting a single other pilgrim.

I'm not complaining. It makes a refreshing change from the Camino Frances, although I enjoyed the company of others in the evenings. Today's walking has been very pleasant, even taking into account the steep climb to the castle at Cornatel in temperatures in the high twenties. I had an excellent lunch in Borrenes at the Cornatel Medulas restaurant, whose proprietor seemed surprised to see me.
I am now at the rural Hotel la Peragrina. I arrived to discover that, not only was it locked up and unattended, but, when I managed to make contact with the management, the restaurant is not open this evening and there is no restaurant available within about 6 miles!

The nearest taxi service is some considerable distance away and the only other guests are cyclists. However, I am sure the Camino will provide.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Had you reserved at the Hotel or did you just show up?

I have just finished the Invierno, and would recommend that people make reservations in most cases. The lodgings on the route are often a part-time sideline for the owners, and it seems to be a convenience all round, to make contact with them in advance so they can be there to meet you. They can also tell you in advance about the food situation. There seems to be plenty of accommodation for the few pilgrims, but nobody is waiting at the door of the hostal in case a pilgrim happens to pass by looking for a room! The owners are happy to receive pilgrims, but they have other lives and activities too!

I reserved the room months in advance and paid a deposit. If I had been told at that time that there was no food available I would have looked elsewhere. I am accustomed to hotels in rural areas being run as a sideline by owners who have other businesses, as this is very common in France. Usually, the owners turn up at about 5:30 pm, check you in and prepare the evening meal.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well, this one certainly seems to be, if today's experience is anything to go by! I have walked today from Ponferrada to Carucedo without meeting a single other pilgrim.

I'm not complaining. It makes a refreshing change from the Camino Frances, although I enjoyed the company of others in the evenings. Today's walking has been very pleasant, even taking into account the steep climb to the castle at Cornatel in temperatures in the high twenties. I had an excellent lunch in Borrenes at the Cornatel Medulas restaurant, whose proprietor seemed surprised to see me.
I am now at the rural Hotel la Peragrina. I arrived to discover that, not only was it locked up and unattended, but, when I managed to make contact with the management, the restaurant is not open this evening and there is no restaurant available within about 6 miles!

The nearest taxi service is some considerable distance away and the only other guests are cyclists. However, I am sure the Camino will provide.
I stayed at that hotel last month and the food wasn’t great. Taxi up to las medulas and there’s a choice of eating places

Most read last week in this forum

If I leave Ponferrada early enough to arrive in Villavieja and spend some time at the castle Cornatel, can I leave the next day, spend some meaningful time beholding las Medulas and Orellan, and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.