• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The rolling skies above Molinaseca

Peachy

Time of past OR future Camino
2013 July/ august
The surreal light, the warm rain , the hot wind, the sky talks in deep voices tonight,..here. Rumbling ..lightening starts just now..rain falls harder

The walk down here is quite potentially perilous too,..i felt a bit stunned afterwards. The click clack of the slippery yet beautiful schist rock, the purple flowers, the amazing views

..and the beds getting hard to come by( tonight we are sardines and i might aswell be in a marital bed as no gap between me and the man next to me )

but I started to think, ..for me,..it is the time after the long walks, that i feel most deeply reflective,..as if the walk is 'ground work ' of a kind.

because, like some i meet, i have my reasons for wanting to be here, do this,..and for me a night alone once a week is kindof becoming important.

just to reflect.

This weather is incredible..quite exciting!

I wonder how others process their days here,..i know for some it is just a hike, and more a social thing, also great,..but i do meet people, who like me,..are wanting this time to just 'breathe'

exhale life for a little, let go

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I love the sentiments here Peachy but it all sounds a bit crowded out there. Hope things get better and you get those quiter moments you seek.

Buen Camino :)

I remember sitting at the side of the path with about a hundred foot sheer drop to the road on my left, the rocky track on my right and Molinaseca up ahead. It's one of my favourite days walking. I think I sat for about an hour with my feet in the water when I reached Molinaseca and strangely I also felt the need for a night on my own there too.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Reaching the Cruz del Ferro and continuing through the stunning scenery to Molinaseca was my favourite day's walk. I think we are all a little reflective after such a day.

Can anyone advise of best way to avoid the difficult stretch down from the Cruz de Ferro to Molinaseca? Brierley says not advisable to take the road due to bad bends but I am not good on steep slippery downhills
...so any advice most welcome. Is there even a (dare I whisper it.....?) the possibility of a bus or taxi down? If no solution, I will be the lady you see going down on her bottom!!

Katycamino

Don't worry--if you want, do take the road from the summit down to Acebo. I have done both, and they take about the same amount of time, and the road does save some of the ankle-wrenching aspects of the rocky path. However, I think the forested walk from Acebo to Riego de Ambrós and Molinaseca is a gem not to be missed--I'd never take the road for that part! Like those who have written above here--it's probably my favourite stretch of the CF.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Katycamino, bits of the path down to Molinaseca are a bit steep, a bit rocky and, in rain a bit slippery - but much of it is very, very beautiful. Unless you are in a hurry to be somewhere else just take it slowly. I think I stopped at Rabanal and then Riego so walked the exquisite ( off road ) route down to Molinaseca in a bird-song drenched morning. There were places I would have gladly slid on my bum (bottom) merely for the privilege of being there. I was litter -picking as I went and in no hurry but I never felt that I was in danger of coming to mischief (other than through apoplexy at the littering tendencies of some...)
Buen (dry bottomed) Camino

Thank you so much guys for the speedy reply and assurances. Sounds like its do-able after all if I take my time and you both make it sound so very lovely.... Can't wait now!

Katycamino

After a bit of a disaster at the Cruz de Ferro in 2012 this turned out to be one of the most magical days of the Camino if not the most. The walk down through Acebo was beautiful. We stopped in Molinasceca for a beer just after the bridge by the river and ended up staying for the night in a private room just around the corner. Great food, beer, company and memories from that afternoon and evening.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The walk from Rabanal to Molinoseca is also one of my favorite days. Take it slowly, enjoy the countryside, every so often, sit down and have a snack, while interchanging with other Pilgrims, who often like the invitation to sit awhile with you, but, it needs to be taken with great respect, after all, we aren't mountain goats.
And when you want to take in the view, STOP, and then look. Don't walk and look other than where your feet are to go. I once saw a lady fall flat on her face just on the last stretch before Molinaseca, because she wasn't watching where she was walking. She cut her lip very badly and had to have stitches. Anne

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back