• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The rules and the moderators

peregrina2000

Staff member
In the past few weeks, a few forum posts have been deleted because they were posted in violation of Rule 7:

7. If you do not agree on a moderator decision, please contact the moderator or @ivar in a Private Conversation. All disagreements should be handled in Private Conversations and not in public.

I'm posting this, because to tell you the truth, I had never heard of this rule till I became a moderator, so I'm assuming there are others like me on the forum. It is not intended to be a heavy handed rule that shows you how superior we are to the rest of the forum, but rather to try to keep the forum from descending into irrelevant public disagreements about topics far removed from the Camino. And note, too, that you can disagree with a decision of mine all you want if you express that disagreement in a private conversation.

It is true that the rule applies to remove even polite criticism of a moderator decision. It does not, of course, mean you can't post polite criticisms of any of the many comments and opinions I express every day -- you can go at those all you want so long as you keep it within the bounds of civilized discourse ;). But with moderators and forum members in so many different time zones, this rule means that when I go to sleep at night, I know that I won't wake up to a free for all second guessing what can be very subjective and difficult individual decisions, because I know one of my moderator pals will have removed the critical posts.

Hope this helps clarify things! Buen camino, Laurie

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Being a moderator and at the same time an active forum participant can often be challenging so my hats off to you and the other moderators!
I remember several instances during my short stint as a moderator where I specified that I was responding as a "moderator" or as a "forum member" so as to clarify my position. Sometimes this helps.
A lot goes on behind the scenes - and it is not always pleasant so thanks once again:)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Laurie:

I disagree that a tastefully written response, in regards to a Moderators actions, should be deleted without recourse other than a PM to the Moderator.

Rule 7, imo, needs to be revisited. Moderators should also, imo, have guidelines to follow so we can have an expectancy of how censuring will be implemented.

Disagreement with a Moderators actions should be treated like any other conversation, as long as it is done tastefully.

Joe

Thanks Peregrina for the information on Rule 7. WILCO (will comply). No further clarification or changes needed. Que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Laurie:
Moderators should also, imo, have guidelines to follow so we can have an expectancy of how censuring will be implemented
Joe

Joe, just in case its past Laurie's bed-time. Mods do have a set of guidelines to follow - the Forum Rules https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/forum-rules.20973/. We also have our own discussion thread where we will test and try to find balance in our responses to issues that arise on the Forum. Beyond that we only have the test of 'reasonability' within the scope of the range of topics this Forum covers: The Caminos. That is why some discussion of religious topics continues despite R2, the thing that I and my fellow Mods will not tolerate is any breach of R1.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Laurie:

I disagree that a tastefully written response, in regards to a Moderators actions, should be deleted without recourse other than a PM to the Moderator.

Rule 7, imo, needs to be revisited. Moderators should also, imo, have guidelines to follow so we can have an expectancy of how censuring will be implemented.

Disagreement with a Moderators actions should be treated like any other conversation, as long as it is done tastefully.

Joe

Joe,
You can disagree with the action of a moderator at any time...but not in open forum which always turns pretty ugly with comments and additional opinions coming from all directions.

You actually do have recourse other than just a PM to the moderator.
You can complain to @ivar if you feel the need. He will reply.

I am not sure how critisism of moderators in open forum serves any reasonable purpose other than insuring that others see your objection.
We do try to keep arguments and non-Camino activity to a minimum.
It has been this way for as long as you and I have been members.

Last edited:
This is a great forum thank to the amazing work of the moderators Ivar and all who work behind the scenes. Also the members. Long may it contunie. Regards Dermot

I think the moderators are amazing for the amount of time they must spend keeping on top of everything. So I think ANYTHING that keeps their job a little easier is good. And that includes their right to censure a thread. Although I am relatively new here, I have been impressed by the reasonableness of the moderators, and I suspect/assume that a polite discussion behind the scenes will be viewed with open-mindedness.

Thanks, tincatinker,
I was awake, just writing up a long PM to Joe. I think he and I just have to agree to disagree. Laurie
Hola (and good morning) Laurie do we have the right to appeal a moderator's decision (say to Ivar) or are your actions final?? In relation to "the rules" I do seem to recall at least being provided with a link to some posting rules when I became a member but have to confess to not having totally read them. At the time, being new to the Forum, I was not sure what half of them referred too. So will post here and then click on the above link and not only read them, save the link. Cheers Mike;)o_O

I think you have to read the fine print on the book of rules which I believe at last print was about 19995595 lines :) I think I read somewhere in the fine print that says and please don't quote me but it goes something like this "in my house my rules " :):):):)

zzotte LOL

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hola (and good morning) Laurie do we have the right to appeal a moderator's decision (say to Ivar) or are your actions final?? In relation to "the rules" I do seem to recall at least being provided with a link to some posting rules when I became a member but have to confess to not having totally read them. At the time, being new to the Forum, I was not sure what half of them referred too. So will post here and then click on the above link and not only read them, save the link. Cheers Mike;)o_O

Hi, Mike, First of all I should make clear that I am not speaking on behalf of anyone but myself, and this post just explains my personal reasons why I support the rule. There is no formal appeal process or anything like that, we make decisions on a collegial, consensual basis and Ivar of course has the final say. You can see the rules that apply to everyone's behavior on the forum, moderators and members alike, here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/forum-rules.20973/

Ahem. Just read the rules all the way through for the first time.:oops: Thank you, Laurie, for bringing the subject up. It's good to be better informed....
We may not all totally agree about them, but this is a Forum, not a place where total consensus would ever be possible, so this seems to strike a fair balance.

Since I'm so well paid to moderate the Forum let me dip my oar in to these turbulent waters.
I can always write a pithy comment. I can also pull something from my butt and see what nerves I can strike, or oxes I can gore. In the main, let's not forget that the mods are selected by Ivar as a result of many Forum interactions where the member demonstrates a sincere desire to assist others, has unique personal understanding of numerous Caminos and is dedicated to assisting the Forum remains, accurate, timely and civil. A moderator is not a censor, rather a mod attempts to be a well of knowledge, experience and balance to the best of their ability.
Agreeing to disagree is compromise Not capitulation. Walk on!

A moderator is not a censor, rather a mod attempts to be a well of knowledge, experience and balance to the best of their ability.
Agreeing to disagree is compromise Not capitulation. Walk on!
Right on, Arn. And the part I've bolded is exactly what you are all doing a pretty darn good job of.
'Ultreia' is an appropriate sentiment here, I think.:)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Rule #7) If you do not agree on a moderator decision, please contact the moderator or @ivar in a Private Conversation. All disagreements should be handled in Private Conversations and not in public.
Thanks Wayfarer - I have downloaded the "Rules" and that advice was in Rule 7 and also at the end. So far I think I have managed to stay within the rules. You know - that old saying -"if you don't have something nice (or good) to say, say nothing!" is the best policy. Cheers

Honestly, I have seen so many threads in which a person's intent was from the heart---and others rush in to attack. Think of Caesar!

If moderators got attacked like that on a routine basis, who would ever want to stay in that position?

As @David recently and eloquently put it (in my jet lagged brain, I hope I haven't erred here??), we could all aim to be a bit more gracious in our responses.

Or, as at a host of others debated (in terms of attributing it correctly),

--Is it helpful?
_Is it etc, and lastly, is it etc something good for the end question?

Back to my jet lagged sleep now, ha ha!

Apologies for the fogginess. Ultreia to our mods and Ivar :)

My thanks to all the moderators for their ongoing efforts to shepherd this community. This is far more than just a posting board. It's a community of ongoing relationships, where the pilgrimage journey continues even when the feet aren't moving. For many newcomers, this is their first introduction to the true community of pilgrims they will meet on the footpath. And like many communities who follow the Rule of St Benedict, we must be accountable to each other in order to continue this community relationship. After all, Benedict's first word is: Listen.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back