• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The sad news of the death of a pilgrim on the Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
An Italian pilgrim died after suffering a Stroke on the Via Arragones.

May he rest in peace and may the good Lord give strength and comfort to his family and loved ones.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Peace to his soul, and to his Family.

There must be better ways to die, but at the moment I cannot think of one. This would be a quick, sudden, painless death while enjoying the journey of a lifetime.

Re: Re: The sad news of the death of a pilgrim on the Camino.

skilsaw said:
Peace to his soul, and to his Family.

There must be better ways to die, but at the moment I cannot think of one. This would be a quick, sudden, painless death while enjoying the journey of a lifetime.
That is a great way to look at it, isn't it. RIP.

The Italian pilgrim stayed at the albergue in Arrés his last night. He orchestrated the dinner that night, his version of pasta with a wonderful chorizo tomato sauce, "the simpler the better." He sang while he cooked and fed 18 appreciable pilgrims. He had a smile on his face the entire night, was applauded by his fellow pilgrims and we all had a truly memorable night. He slept in a bunk next to ours and we wished him well in the morning after breakfast. He was a banker from Milano. He told us he had stayed at Arrés 5 years ago as well. We were told of his death the next evening. About 7 of us toasted Dario with a bottle of wine before dinner that night at the albergue in Sangüesa . He was remembered by us all.

This just reminds us all how fragile life is and to make the best of every Camino moment. While we only knew Dario for a few hours, he will always be part of our Camino. He truly had a memorable 'last supper', enjoying his Camino with fellow pilgrims.

Karen and Dayton, London, Canada

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Repost from another thread:

It's crazy...I walked with Dario in May 2011. He was known by all; he organised communal dinners to save money, meet people and taste foods from all over the world. Some would say he was almost overbearing but his heart was in the right place all the time. He loved walking the camino, he took his time and enjoyed every moment. I think it's almost appropriate he died on the Camino. Condolences to family and friends.

He sounds like a lovely man - and what a splendid way to go, fast, almost pain-free - on Camino, happy and smiling.

Bless him - he has merely fallen out of his broken body and into the arms of Angels.

I hope that all who met him this year will say a prayer for him in Santiago, maybe light a candle.

Considering the number of pilgrims each year - nearly 200,000? and how many come from sedentary jobs, it is stunning how low the mortality rate is - three pilgrims this year? Each one a sad event of course, especially for the loved ones still here, but we should factor this in to our lives, don't you think?

We just have no idea when we are going to leave here - and should live our lives as if it may be tonight. Live, love, laugh .. be kind ...

This is 15th century of course, as it is from Thomas A Kempis - but is still as true today

"Ah, foolish man, why do you plan to live long when you are not sure of living even a day? How many have been deceived and suddenly snatched away! How often have you heard of persons being killed by drownings, by fatal falls from high places, of persons dying at meals, at play, in fires, by the sword, in pestilence, or at the hands of robbers! Death is the end of everyone and the life of man quickly passes away like a shadow......
........ keep yourself as a stranger here on earth, a pilgrim whom its affairs do not concern at all. Keep your heart free and raise it up to your God, for you have not here a lasting home."

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The sad coincidence is that a friend of Mr. Bandera posted on the Camino Forum Facebook page asking for his whereabouts because they stopped hearing from him on May 22nd. They even contacted the Somport local police (where he had started walking on May 18th). He was 56 years old, young man if we go by life expectancies these days.

May he Rest in Peace.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back