• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"The Sakura Seven: A walk to gain good fortune" (Japan Today article)

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
Something seasonal which I came across this morning. According to this article there is a custom in Japan to visit temples and shrines dedicated to the "seven lucky gods" at New Year - recording your visits to each site by collecting stamps on a special card. That sounds familiar. :cool: Usually the route is only a few km long and can be walked quite easily on a single day. The article describes one of the many possible routes in some detail. It looks and sounds like a very condensed version of walking the Shikoku 88 temple circuit. :) In Japanese mythology the seven lucky gods arrive by ship in Japan at New Year time. I couldn't help seeing parallels with some European Christmas traditions like the Dutch Sinterklaas celebrations. The seven deities have their origins in Buddhism, Shinto and Taoism - like much of religion in Japan the roots of the custom are very eclectic!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Gracias! 🙏
Plus the cherry trees will be blooming soon hence 'sakura?' Just guessing.

Off topic, but sakura...for anyone in and around Washington DC, may you enjoy peak bloom right now at the Tidal Basin! This photo was online this morning, from the NPS:
20230327_163703.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As of Monday, we will be in Japan to walk the Nakahechi and Kohechi routes of the Kumano Kodo and we will also spend a few days on Shikoku island which is circumvented by the 88 temples route. I'll try and post some photos.

As of Monday, we will be in Japan to walk the Nakahechi and Kohechi routes of the Kumano Kodo and we will also spend a few days on Shikoku island which is circumvented by the 88 temples route. I'll try and post some photos.
Ganbatte! I hope your knees are in good shape for the Kohechi. :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning. After having walked, 3 (Frances, VdlP, CP and Fisterra) Camino to Santiago, we thought that this year we should ‘experience’ another Way. So in a few short days we fly off to Italy...
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/04/22/italy-tourists-cinque-terre-one-way-hiking-trails/
Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.