• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Scallop Shell

nalod

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2011, Finnesterre 2011,Le Puy to SJPDP 2011& 2012,Via de la Plata,Sambrasa 2012, Mozarabe 2013, Portugees 2013.PartNorde 2011, VDPL 2014,St-Guilhem 2014.Espalion-Roncesvalles 2014.Levante2015
There has been a lot written about this subject in the past. Just an additional piece of information. I live in the West Coast of Ireland in a town called Sligo. The Gaelic or Irish for Sligo is "Sligeach" which in turn means Shelly place. The Scallop shell is part of the official crest of the town.

So when I wear my little scallop shell around my neck I am wearing a symbol of the town I live in and the Camino.

Are there many more towns with the Scallop shell as part of their Crest.

Regards Nalod

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi! I guess there must be loads, but I can't find a list. Here in the UK, Poole has scallop shells on its coat of arms as it was a departure point to the Camino Ingles. There are also institutions such as Reading University, which apparently adopted it's coat of arms from the abbey there, complete with pilgrim scallops.

As far as I know the Scallop shell in the Sligo crest has nothing to do with the Camino. Just the place of shells.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The coat of arms for A Coruna features 7 golden scallop shells surrounding the Tower of Hercules.
I am open to correction but as far as I know, they represent the 7 regions of the Kingdom of Galicia.

As far as I know the Scallop shell in the Sligo crest has nothing to do with the Camino. Just the place of shells.
Sligo does have Saint James' Well to which there is, I believe, a pilgrimage on 25 July. So there is a connection to Santiago if not directly to the Camino.

The scallop shell is also a symbol for baptism. It has been used commonly to collect water to baptize. This is why so many baptismal fountains are decorated with scallop shells.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello Tincantinker. There is a pilgrimage on the last Sunday of July to the "Holy Well" or "Tobernalt" but I never heard of St James Well. This is a piece about the holy well taken from its website.
"About Tobernalt
spacer.gif

Tobernalt Holy Well is a place of reflection and nurturing serenity. It predates the advent of Christianity to Ireland in the fifth century. Its importance as a meeting place and a sustainer of life predates our Celtic ancestors.

At this time, the pilgrim at Tobernalt shares in the inherited ancestral tradition coming from earliest times, which was christianised by St. Patrick and held steadfastly by faithful generations ever since. The challenge posed by Tobernalt is to ensure that the tradition will continue to enrich the generations not yet born."

I have photographed this place many times and have been to the early morning pilgrim there on "Garland Sunday" last Sunday of July.

Pat interesting about Baptism fonts.

Hello Tincantinker, The main "Holy Well" in Sligo is the one I refereed to also know as Tobernault which is Geaelic. But you are right there appears to be a St James Well in Geevagh, which is about 40km from Tobernault. Sometime over the Winter I will do research on St James well and I might even photograph it. I had never heard of it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Not to be crass ...I was always reluctant to sample the scallops in Santiago, something akin to cannibalism perhaps, but I have since discovered that those offered in the restaurants of Santiago are a different species altogether, not the shell we wear. Now the question-where to try them?!? My favorites include: "San Clemente" on rua San Clemente, "Fornos" rua Horreo on the square and around the corner or in a pinch "Los Sobrinos del Padre Le Casa del Buen Pulpo" Praza Cervantes. Guilt free pleasure but have a deep pocket ready. The other option of course is to visit the wonderful wonderful market in Santiago. Strategically located under the watchful eye of two churches, it is best visited early in the morning. There one may find all the shellfish imaginable, those offered at such exorbitant prices in the restaurants but much more affordable. You must prepare them yourself of course, for me, half the fun. The kind ladies there will shell your scallops, no easy task for the uninitiated.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.